Bullnose Forums

My 1984 F150 2wd Flareside Project "Blue Mule"

Rembrant

On the transmission, isn't it amazing how hard they are to clean? The aluminum castings really seem to suck up the dirt and grease.

It was awful to clean it. It's one of those things, when you begin...you think it isn't going to work...lol.

Wow! That looks great! :nabble_smiley_good:

Maybe even the same color as my two trannies and t-case. What paint did you use?

I've been using Duplicolor Engine paint DE 1650 Cast Aluminum on all my aluminum parts...or parts that I want to be silver. It goes on nice and dries quick.

https://www.amazon.com/Dupli-Color-DE1650-Ceramic-Aluminum-Engine/dp/B00296CJGQ

It took me hours and hours to clean the damn thing before it was even half worthy of putting paint on. The top seal is shot where the shifter goes in, and the 3 rear rubber plugs in the top cover are known culprits for leaks...but I think this trans was covered partially in engine oil leaking out of the back of the valve covers.

Rembrandt - Do yourself a favor and don't use Ford's rubber plugs in the shift rail bores. (I know, I work for a dealer, I should be loyal...) Use expansion plugs and it'll never leak again. If you have to be original, seal them with some ultra gray silicone.

Rembrandt - Do yourself a favor and don't use Ford's rubber plugs in the shift rail bores. (I know, I work for a dealer, I should be loyal...) Use expansion plugs and it'll never leak again. If you have to be original, seal them with some ultra gray silicone.

Yes sir, understood! I ordered the kit below, among others. These are the plugs you're referring to correct? The three rubber plugs at the back of the top cover?

https://www.allstategear.com/M5R1-M5R2-Top-Cover-Plug-Kit-TS555-p/ts555.htm

These guys were very helpful. I ended up ordering all of the necessary gaskets and parts from these them. I spoke to a guy named Darren, and he knew the M5OD-R2 well. I believe the front and rear seals were fine, but I'm changing them anyway. The shifter seal on top was ripped wide open, so that's getting replaced as well.

Do you know if Ford sells crush washers for the fill and drain plugs?

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got around to cutting the hole for my 5MT tunnel cover. Thankfully Ford made it easy and left me a formed in place template;).

IMG_4267_(Small).jpg.a398eefd0cfa03f0e37c11fcd3fded71.jpg

Some self-etch primer to cover the bare metal where I cut, and custom rattle can blue to brighten it back up...since no one will ever see it...lol.

IMG_4268_(Small).jpg.e90797e3e7c9fbf7dc89e2d8d115db93.jpg

IMG_4269_(Small).jpg.ae0e2facb14e5dd9afe2d9d2bfbad3f3.jpg

And my Ebay trans cover fits like a glove. Even better news is that my nice factory rubber floor mat still fits OK too. I was a little worried that it might not fit well with the added height on the tunnel.

IMG_4270_(Small).jpg.6000d349b596b7b6f020a61c300d0011.jpg

Getting closer to having this thing all together. If all goes well I'll be doing some test drives by the end of May. Fingers crossed.

Finally got around to cutting the hole for my 5MT tunnel cover. Thankfully Ford made it easy and left me a formed in place template;).

Some self-etch primer to cover the bare metal where I cut, and custom rattle can blue to brighten it back up...since no one will ever see it...lol.

And my Ebay trans cover fits like a glove. Even better news is that my nice factory rubber floor mat still fits OK too. I was a little worried that it might not fit well with the added height on the tunnel.

Getting closer to having this thing all together. If all goes well I'll be doing some test drives by the end of May. Fingers crossed.

You do good work. :nabble_smiley_good: I think you are going to like it.

You do good work. :nabble_smiley_good: I think you are going to like it.

So, this was my next mod...turning my 3-on-the-tree column to a floor shift manual column. One thing I noticed in hunting for parts for these trucks is that steering columns are expensive...or at least they seem to be. All I seemed to be able to find were automatic columns locally, so I decided to mod my own.

I cut the raised "neck" off the side of the shift collar, and then ground it flush with the cylindrical outside. Filled the hole full of quicksteel epoxy, and then sanded it all smooth, finishing with 220 grit on an orbital sander. A half a dozen coats of satin black, and it's ready to install.

IMG_4281_(Small).jpg.ec80d312f86743f6b02d4219fb7332d0.jpg

I also had to deal with the engine bay end of the steering column, so all I did was remove the column shifter levers (2 of them on the 3-on-the-tree) and covered over the hole with a band of sheet metal which I pop riveted in place (I hid them on the bottom side). I'll paint this black as well, and I don't think anybody will ever even notice it. It wasn't a big deal really, but I had already replaced the bottom end bearing and plastic bearing housing so I didn't want dirt and debris getting inside the column via the empty hole. Might as well cover it and paint it. I could have just left the shift levers sticking out of the column, but it would drive me crazy to see them.

IMG_4284_(Small).jpg.12ae086a56ba5df36b4a71c32aa71375.jpg

So, this was my next mod...turning my 3-on-the-tree column to a floor shift manual column. One thing I noticed in hunting for parts for these trucks is that steering columns are expensive...or at least they seem to be. All I seemed to be able to find were automatic columns locally, so I decided to mod my own.

I cut the raised "neck" off the side of the shift collar, and then ground it flush with the cylindrical outside. Filled the hole full of quicksteel epoxy, and then sanded it all smooth, finishing with 220 grit on an orbital sander. A half a dozen coats of satin black, and it's ready to install.

I also had to deal with the engine bay end of the steering column, so all I did was remove the column shifter levers (2 of them on the 3-on-the-tree) and covered over the hole with a band of sheet metal which I pop riveted in place (I hid them on the bottom side). I'll paint this black as well, and I don't think anybody will ever even notice it. It wasn't a big deal really, but I had already replaced the bottom end bearing and plastic bearing housing so I didn't want dirt and debris getting inside the column via the empty hole. Might as well cover it and paint it. I could have just left the shift levers sticking out of the column, but it would drive me crazy to see them.

Well done! That is an ingenious approach. :nabble_smiley_good:

I will second what Gary said... you do very nice work indeed! I can usually find decent steering columns at my junkyards, and the prices are reasonable, but shipping can become prohibitively expensive. I like your solution, and your collar is metal where the stock manual columns have a plastic piece. Well done! 👍

I will second what Gary said... you do very nice work indeed! I can usually find decent steering columns at my junkyards, and the prices are reasonable, but shipping can become prohibitively expensive. I like your solution, and your collar is metal where the stock manual columns have a plastic piece. Well done! 👍

Plus, the stock manual columns have the fiddly button that has to be pushed down in order to turn the key to Off.