Bullnose Forums

My 1984 F150 2wd Flareside Project "Blue Mule"

Rembrant

I will probably get to the radio later on, but it is currently low priority on my to-do list. I love the simplicity of this truck (interior included), so it may stay like that forever. I may just grab a Bluetooth speaker to use with my phone since this thing will only be driver occasionally anyway.

Is there any worry with the weight of the paint on the gauge needles? I believe it was one of your posts I read in another thread that made me think of it. It hadn't occurred to me otherwise. If I lost a little of the gauge precision, I think it will still be OK for this old clunker;).

The fact that you can alter the needle movement with paint, is . . a fact :) Doesn't mean you did.

The fact that you can alter the needle movement with paint, is . . a fact :) Doesn't mean you did.

The way I was taught to explore possibilities is to imagine things at the extreme. And, when I imagine hanging a 5 lb weight on the needles I have to fully agree - weight has to make a difference.

On the other hand, these are the most imprecise gauges I've ever seen, even with the ICVR replaced with a true voltage regulator. Think about it - they work by a heating element causing a bi-metallic spring to wind/unwind. So, on a hot day they have to read higher than they do on a cold day. No wonder they don't have numbers on them.

And, no wonder you can't tell any loss of precision when you paint the needles. What precision? :nabble_smiley_wink:

• 4 weeks later...

I don't have much new to report on the progress of my old blue mule, but I did get the hood lifted off of it yesterday. That is the one thing I needed an extra set of hands for...my space to work with is very limited, so I needed help to get the hood over the cab and set on the box. After visiting the folks for a couple days, I plan to start pulling everything apart. Engine and trans are both coming out, as is the steering column, brake and clutch masters, etc. That's it for now. Things will start moving a little faster this week, and once I have the engine out and on the stand, I'll have a lot of other things to do before it all goes back together.

Merry Christmas ya bunch of Bullnose geeks!

image1_(Small).jpeg.443220ed5f801f897ec564da08c0aa38.jpeg

I don't have much new to report on the progress of my old blue mule, but I did get the hood lifted off of it yesterday. That is the one thing I needed an extra set of hands for...my space to work with is very limited, so I needed help to get the hood over the cab and set on the box. After visiting the folks for a couple days, I plan to start pulling everything apart. Engine and trans are both coming out, as is the steering column, brake and clutch masters, etc. That's it for now. Things will start moving a little faster this week, and once I have the engine out and on the stand, I'll have a lot of other things to do before it all goes back together.

Merry Christmas ya bunch of Bullnose geeks!

Looks like a good plan. :nabble_smiley_good: Are you going to pull the grille, radiator, and core support to pull the engine? I find that doing so allows you to bring the engine forward without having to go so high with it. But, it makes for more work, and you may find you have rust problems where the core support bolts to the frame. So, .....

Looks like a good plan. :nabble_smiley_good: Are you going to pull the grille, radiator, and core support to pull the engine? I find that doing so allows you to bring the engine forward without having to go so high with it. But, it makes for more work, and you may find you have rust problems where the core support bolts to the frame. So, .....

Yeah, that is exactly what I'm going to do. I want to replace the radiator, core support, and front mounts anyway. The core support is pretty rusty on the bottom, and the rubber mounts are split, so I'm just going to yank it all out. I picked up a NOS replacement panel for the small strip that goes between the fenders, below the grill.

As you mentioned, it will be much easier to pull the engine out that way. I'm going to drop the transmission first, so that will make the engine pull even easier again.

I'm trying to do as much as I can without disturbing the body panels (yet). That's a whole other rat's nest...lol, and I don't want to start into something that I just can't finish yet. I'm hoping to just get the mechanical stuff all fixed up this winter, to have the truck road worthy (but still ugly) for the spring;).

I'll worry about making it pretty later;).

Yipes! So, do you have the replacement?

Yes sir, I do. I picked up an M5OD 5spd that was removed from a 1991 F250. It was also behind a 302, and it was a 2wd truck, so it should fit OK. I later located the correct cross-member for the M5OD, so it even looks like I can use the existing mounting points on my 1984 frame. Being a '91 trans, I can utilize my cable driven speedo, and I haven't fully confirmed it yet, but it looks like it may already be geared correctly for my truck. (According to the data tag on the trans, the speedo drive gear is for 2.73 to 3.08 rear diff, and my '84 has a 3.08 rear end).

Yipes! So, do you have the replacement?

Yes sir, I do. I picked up an M5OD 5spd that was removed from a 1991 F250. It was also behind a 302, and it was a 2wd truck, so it should fit OK. I later located the correct cross-member for the M5OD, so it even looks like I can use the existing mounting points on my 1984 frame. Being a '91 trans, I can utilize my cable driven speedo, and I haven't fully confirmed it yet, but it looks like it may already be geared correctly for my truck. (According to the data tag on the trans, the speedo drive gear is for 2.73 to 3.08 rear diff, and my '84 has a 3.08 rear end).

Well done! :nabble_smiley_good:

Well done! :nabble_smiley_good:

Yes, and according to my rough measurements, it looks like I'll be able to use my existing driveshaft and trans yoke. That would be slick.

The only piece that I still have not sourced is the plug for the 1991 reverse switch. It's no big deal...only two wires, so it's nothing to splice it in, but I still need the plug. I'll find one once I get digging around for one. With all the other stuff I need to do, that is relatively low priority at the moment;).