Bullnose Forums

My 1984 F150 2wd Flareside Project "Blue Mule"

Rembrant

I am impressed! Good job!

Ok gentlemen,

The first test assembly went great. Everything fits like a glove. I must have done something right...lol. I am so sick of drilling holes it's not even funny, but I don't have much more work to do now. I have four more small holes to drill and tap (M6) for the tailgate hinges, and a hole in each of the rear stake pockets for the chain/latch assembly to attach, and that's about it. I have to rework the flanges that sit on the wood a little bit, but that's not a big deal. I also have to rework the fender mounting holes to accept the replacement factory-look bolts I got from Mar-K. Last but not least will be to drill new holes in the rear sill. Mar-K only manufactures them to fit the 7 board-6 strip design. If one wants to go with the 5 strip design, new holes must be drilled. Anyway...not a big deal. Oh...and I still have an hours worth of flap wheel work to smooth out my welds.

IMG_7360.jpg.8fb8fa0da11dce4a7a38138625cce330.jpg

IMG_7361.jpg.59589befe5dc329d7f6730748907fe60.jpg

IMG_7362.jpg.1bc56e08baa9c9997480e14703bac083.jpg

Ok gentlemen,

The first test assembly went great. Everything fits like a glove. I must have done something right...lol. I am so sick of drilling holes it's not even funny, but I don't have much more work to do now. I have four more small holes to drill and tap (M6) for the tailgate hinges, and a hole in each of the rear stake pockets for the chain/latch assembly to attach, and that's about it. I have to rework the flanges that sit on the wood a little bit, but that's not a big deal. I also have to rework the fender mounting holes to accept the replacement factory-look bolts I got from Mar-K. Last but not least will be to drill new holes in the rear sill. Mar-K only manufactures them to fit the 7 board-6 strip design. If one wants to go with the 5 strip design, new holes must be drilled. Anyway...not a big deal. Oh...and I still have an hours worth of flap wheel work to smooth out my welds.

You really, REALLY have a lot of work in that. And I know it must seem like it is unending. But you are going to look back and realize it was all worth it. Man, it is looking good!

You really, REALLY have a lot of work in that. And I know it must seem like it is unending. But you are going to look back and realize it was all worth it. Man, it is looking good!

Ha! Gary...my enthusiasm is wearing thin...lol, but I feel like I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. And this is just the darn bed...this truck still needs cab work, new fenders, etc...

Anyway, I'm just trying to get it finished enough to drive it this summer again.

Good news though...and I love it when stuff like this happens, but I stopped by a body shop near my work this morning to see if they'd be interested in painting these panels for me so I can assemble them myself, etc. A small bit of luck, but the manager actually had a Bullnose Flareside years ago and knew the beds well. He rebuild a few himself years ago, and said he still has a set of the fiberglass fenders at home. Very interesting. Anyway...makes me feel good about getting them to do some painting for me.

I'd love to try it myself, but I don't have the space or the time right now.

Ha! Gary...my enthusiasm is wearing thin...lol, but I feel like I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. And this is just the darn bed...this truck still needs cab work, new fenders, etc...

Anyway, I'm just trying to get it finished enough to drive it this summer again.

Good news though...and I love it when stuff like this happens, but I stopped by a body shop near my work this morning to see if they'd be interested in painting these panels for me so I can assemble them myself, etc. A small bit of luck, but the manager actually had a Bullnose Flareside years ago and knew the beds well. He rebuild a few himself years ago, and said he still has a set of the fiberglass fenders at home. Very interesting. Anyway...makes me feel good about getting them to do some painting for me.

I'd love to try it myself, but I don't have the space or the time right now.

I hard grinding wheel will flatten a weld bead, whereas a flap wheel will follow the contour.

I hard grinding wheel will flatten a weld bead, whereas a flap wheel will follow the contour.

Hi Pete,

Thanks for the heads up. So far I've only ground down the weld beads on the inside of the extension panels where they will not be visible, and the flap disk seemed to work OK. It touched nothing but the bead until it was flush. I'm going to be a little more careful on the visible welds on the outside. The guy I was talking to at the bodyshop yesterday said he had a tool to make fake spot weld dimples if I wanted to go that far, but I think that would be too extreme for me...this thing is just supposed to be a fun driver, not a show truck;).

Hi Pete,

Thanks for the heads up. So far I've only ground down the weld beads on the inside of the extension panels where they will not be visible, and the flap disk seemed to work OK. It touched nothing but the bead until it was flush. I'm going to be a little more careful on the visible welds on the outside. The guy I was talking to at the bodyshop yesterday said he had a tool to make fake spot weld dimples if I wanted to go that far, but I think that would be too extreme for me...this thing is just supposed to be a fun driver, not a show truck;).

Great job Corey. Looking good. Is your truck originally Medium Blue like mine?

I will be tackling my wood boards soon. I am going to pick a tree, cut it down, mill and dry the boards, plane, shape, stain and install. Luckily I have a sawmill, and access to plenty of free trees.

Yes sir, exactly the same, paint code "3P" Medium Blue Metallic (1982-1984 only).

My truck is all faded and parts of it have been touched up so it looks nothing like the original color.

I saved this picture below...can't remember where I got it now, but as far as I know, that is what the medium blue is supposed to look like. Not my truck...just a picture saved from a forum somewhere.

1984_ford_f-150-pic-22369-1600x1200.jpeg.ee676957868b51f9eb99c028a3fee6fe.jpeg

Yes sir, exactly the same, paint code "3P" Medium Blue Metallic (1982-1984 only).

My truck is all faded and parts of it have been touched up so it looks nothing like the original color.

I saved this picture below...can't remember where I got it now, but as far as I know, that is what the medium blue is supposed to look like. Not my truck...just a picture saved from a forum somewhere.

Awesome. I had been admiring your blue flareside....glad one popped up for me too!

Does your bed have clamps? Mine has 4 clamps mounted. 2 on the top rails and 2 on the inside on the wheel wells. I am guessing they are for mounting a toolbox or something.

Awesome. I had been admiring your blue flareside....glad one popped up for me too!

Does your bed have clamps? Mine has 4 clamps mounted. 2 on the top rails and 2 on the inside on the wheel wells. I am guessing they are for mounting a toolbox or something.

No clamps in mine, no.

I thought about adding some in this new bed I'm building, but I probably won't be hauling anything with it anyway...lol.