Bullnose Forums

My 1984 F150 2wd Flareside Project "Blue Mule"

Rembrant

By the way, my fuel gauge is not going to completely full reading.

See pic below of where it sits when full. Is this an issue with the float in the tank? It seems to work fine otherwise. Gauge was a hair above Empty yesterday, and it took 14+ gallons to fill. I assume that's a fairly normal fill amount for a 16 gallon tank that's just above the empty mark.

I'd be happy with the gauge reading that way. Big Blue's gauge frequently sticks on Full+. And Rusty's gauge had a big gap in the middle of the range where it didn't work until it got close to empty.

Having said that, I'm told that you can bend the arm on the float to adjust it. But, you risk making it worse or damaging the sending unit. I'd suggest living with it.

I'd suggest living with it.

Fair enough, that's all I needed to know. I will live with it. It really doesn't matter all that much, but I figured I'd ask.

So I now have an assortment of spare Ford shifter sticks. I absolutely love my 5spd swap, but I've had a mild interest in swapping in a Bullnose correct shifter.

The curvy stick pictured below I believe is from a 1986 F150 with NP435 trans. It was laying on the ground next to the trans which I assume was pulled from this truck.

The long straight one is an M5OD-R2 stick from a 1996 F150, and the short straight one is from an M5OD-R1 (Ford Ranger). The Ranger stick is of zero use to me (it was free anyway) but the attachment socket on the bottom end will work on the "R2" F150/250 transmission. So, I may cut the attachment socket off of the Ranger stick so that it could be welded to the bottom of the NP435 stick.

That's all well and good, and is cheap and easy to do for a test. Problem will now be finding an NP435 rubber shifter boot. Is there an aftermarket source for these? Or a similar boot that looks the same?

Any comments good or bad?

IMG_5503.jpg.42acd0ab06c3adc3e68ce3c96b080bfd.jpg

I'd suggest living with it.

Fair enough, that's all I needed to know. I will live with it. It really doesn't matter all that much, but I figured I'd ask.

I don't want to clog up the forum with non-Bullnose posts, so I won't bother starting a new thread on this topic (it's actually a dead topic anyway), but I stopped to have a look at a Bronco for sale yesterday (with full intentions of swapping in a Bullnose front clip...lol). It is a 1987, with 300/6 and 4spd manual trans (3spd + OD). This seems like an odd combo to me for a Bronco....most of them I ever come across have a SBF and auto trans. It's cheap, and finding one in stock condition around here is extremely rare. Unfortunately the thing is really rusty underneath...far too much of a project for me. It has original paint as far as I know, and the interior was absolutely mint. Has about 100k miles on it.

What a sin to see them decay so badly from the inside out due to rust. It breaks my heart;(

IMG_5499.jpg.ffc222b83ae916d066974f3a36a999d9.jpg

I don't want to clog up the forum with non-Bullnose posts, so I won't bother starting a new thread on this topic (it's actually a dead topic anyway), but I stopped to have a look at a Bronco for sale yesterday (with full intentions of swapping in a Bullnose front clip...lol). It is a 1987, with 300/6 and 4spd manual trans (3spd + OD). This seems like an odd combo to me for a Bronco....most of them I ever come across have a SBF and auto trans. It's cheap, and finding one in stock condition around here is extremely rare. Unfortunately the thing is really rusty underneath...far too much of a project for me. It has original paint as far as I know, and the interior was absolutely mint. Has about 100k miles on it.

What a sin to see them decay so badly from the inside out due to rust. It breaks my heart;(

I like the idea of grafting an NP435 shifter on to be period correct. As for a boot, they are listed here: Interior/Boots. You might get lucky and find a NOS one. In my experience the aftermarket boots haven't been very acceptable, but you may find better ones than I have.

As for the Bronco, that is a shame. Sometimes you just have to walk away and let someone else deal with all of the ills. :nabble_smiley_cry:

That's all well and good, and is cheap and easy to do for a test. Problem will now be finding an NP435 rubber shifter boot. Is there an aftermarket source for these? Or a similar boot that looks the same?

IMG_5503.jpg

I had no luck finding one, but you did say "similar". Look at this one and see what you think:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/80-86-Ford-Truck-Bronco-80s-90s-F700-Manual-Transmission-shifter-boot/132777259536?hash=item1eea243210:g:nRkAAOSwo9VbEgYs

IMG_5503.jpg

I had no luck finding one, but you did say "similar". Look at this one and see what you think:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/80-86-Ford-Truck-Bronco-80s-90s-F700-Manual-Transmission-shifter-boot/132777259536?hash=item1eea243210:g:nRkAAOSwo9VbEgYs

Interesting...

I wonder what exactly that boot was removed from?

Do you guys recognize it as being specific to a certain truck or trans?

I've never seen that style of tank. In fact, unless it is a diesel unit, which I've also never seen, I don't see it in the catalog.

Hey Gary,

Do you remember me posting a picture of my coolant/washer fluid tank a while back? (I was trying to clean it at the time). I think we determined that it was not an original Bullnose tank.

Here's a picture of the one in the '86 F150 at the Pick N Pull. I originally thought that it was the same as mine...but the mounting tabs are different. Otherwise, it appears to be the same. The way this one mounts makes it look like a factory fit. Is this a correct tank?

IMG_5505.jpg.71f0ceaa4747b5a6510813ec7af81fc1.jpg

As a reminder, below is a picture of the tank currently in my truck (with mounting tabs on top). It does mount kinda wonky, so I have no doubt that it doesn't belong.

IMG_4567.jpg.6d70bd0994c4259a26eae4270bef3810.jpg

I've never seen that style of tank. In fact, unless it is a diesel unit, which I've also never seen, I don't see it in the catalog.

Hey Gary,

Do you remember me posting a picture of my coolant/washer fluid tank a while back? (I was trying to clean it at the time). I think we determined that it was not an original Bullnose tank.

Here's a picture of the one in the '86 F150 at the Pick N Pull. I originally thought that it was the same as mine...but the mounting tabs are different. Otherwise, it appears to be the same. The way this one mounts makes it look like a factory fit. Is this a correct tank?

As a reminder, below is a picture of the tank currently in my truck (with mounting tabs on top). It does mount kinda wonky, so I have no doubt that it doesn't belong.

Yes, the one above from the salvage is a Bullnose unit, as you can see here: Cooling Systems/Coolant Recovery & Windshield Washer Reservoirs. But it is an '85/86 unit, not the '80/84 unit that would have been in your truck. However, I think it is better as it has the hose going in at the bottom of the reservoir instead of at the top.

Hopefully you got the mounting bracket as well?

Hopefully you got the mounting bracket as well?

I didn't take the tank or the bracket because at the time I thought it was the same as what I had. Now that is see that it mounts differently (and that you've confirmed it is correct), I will go back and grab it. The one in my truck with the 2 top tabs doesn't mount quite right anyway. They want $6.50 for it, and for that I'll grab it and get it all cleaned up.

Thanks for confirming Gary!! You're a great help!