Bullnose Forums

Speaker headliner

Danny G

Ok, someone has to have put these in.

I have a couple of questions.

How much does it drop the ceiling? I'm 6'3"

The storage compartment? On the driver's side seems of and like it would obscure vision... Does it? Not sure why they didn't mimic the passengers side.

How does it install?

Did you put anything but speakers in it?

I am thinking actually of using the DIN to mount a uhf/vhf unit and then the instead of truck audio putting radio audio in the speakers. Can monitor one channel in the left of driver's seat and one on the right of driver's seat.

Screenshot_20190916-210219.png.e2b6b3c93260d3ac1b72fed4075b1875.png

Ok, I'm confused. The one you show is for a 1973 - 79 truck. So I looked at the JBG site in the 1980 - 96 section and found what looks to be the same headliner. However, there are two of them: 80-96 Truck ABS Black Headliner With Speakers W/Factory Headliner #37420, and Truck ABS Black Headliner With Speakers WO/Factory Headliner #37425. One to be used with a factory headliner, and one to be used without a factory headliner? And the one to be used with a factory headliner says "Can be used with or without factory headliner." :nabble_anim_confused:

So, I thought I'd look at the pictures. Here they are side-by-side with, supposedly, the 37420 on the left and 37425 on the right. What are the differences?

37420_Overall.thumb.jpg.207228985449552c3e293a24f14aa457.jpg37425_Overall.thumb.jpg.410524dc649e8f33a153f465cdbdc4c0.jpg

37420_Closeup.thumb.jpg.05338bc27e5cea562a1aeeecf8cef3dd.jpg37425_Closeup.thumb.jpg.5cb626f297aeeb441a9d16e646cf2d99.jpg

Ok, I'm confused. The one you show is for a 1973 - 79 truck. So I looked at the JBG site in the 1980 - 96 section and found what looks to be the same headliner. However, there are two of them: 80-96 Truck ABS Black Headliner With Speakers W/Factory Headliner #37420, and Truck ABS Black Headliner With Speakers WO/Factory Headliner #37425. One to be used with a factory headliner, and one to be used without a factory headliner? And the one to be used with a factory headliner says "Can be used with or without factory headliner." :nabble_anim_confused:

So, I thought I'd look at the pictures. Here they are side-by-side with, supposedly, the 37420 on the left and 37425 on the right. What are the differences?

I accidentally screen shotted the wrong one, but like you pointed out they look the same.The drop and that little compartment on the drivers side have me worried it will sit two low. Don't want to brush my head or be sitting eye level with a boxI can't find any information on how these go in on a truck without a headliner either.

I accidentally screen shotted the wrong one, but like you pointed out they look the same.

The drop and that little compartment on the drivers side have me worried it will sit two low. Don't want to brush my head or be sitting eye level with a box

I can't find any information on how these go in on a truck without a headliner either.

If I were you I'd call JBG. I can't imagine how the same one works with or without a headliner. And if so, why do they sell the other one?

If I were you I'd call JBG. I can't imagine how the same one works with or without a headliner. And if so, why do they sell the other one?

The top picture does not have cut outs for the visors but the bottom does. Looks like they may just be using stock photos. It also looks relatively thin. I imagine this attaches with the front trim and visors, it must have holes in it to screw into the sheet metal for the non headliner option where the trim would hold it. That or adhesive... or both. Some 3M super 90 may hold it up it would be pretty light less where you mount a radio/speakers.

I have been trying to rack my head around getting a NMO antenna mount installed in the cab roof without putting a hole in the second layer of the roof. I think I may not have a choice if I want one on the cab roof, and this would cover it.

The second question would be the light wires on this liner. They may need a hole punched in the roof anyway to run back to your dome light or you would have something sticking out by the back window trim.

The top picture does not have cut outs for the visors but the bottom does. Looks like they may just be using stock photos. It also looks relatively thin. I imagine this attaches with the front trim and visors, it must have holes in it to screw into the sheet metal for the non headliner option where the trim would hold it. That or adhesive... or both. Some 3M super 90 may hold it up it would be pretty light less where you mount a radio/speakers.

I have been trying to rack my head around getting a NMO antenna mount installed in the cab roof without putting a hole in the second layer of the roof. I think I may not have a choice if I want one on the cab roof, and this would cover it.

The second question would be the light wires on this liner. They may need a hole punched in the roof anyway to run back to your dome light or you would have something sticking out by the back window trim.

You are right. Neither of the top pics have the hole for the visors, but both bottom pics do. I think they are using the same pics, which means they are the wrong ones for half the offerings. But, which half.

I think you need to buy one and review it for us! :nabble_smiley_good:

You are right. Neither of the top pics have the hole for the visors, but both bottom pics do. I think they are using the same pics, which means they are the wrong ones for half the offerings. But, which half.

I think the pre 1980 does not have that drop in front of the driver. Ill call JBG today. It would be cool if JBG had a profile/account here given that most of the guys here have probably used them once or twice.

I think the pre 1980 does not have that drop in front of the driver. Ill call JBG today. It would be cool if JBG had a profile/account here given that most of the guys here have probably used them once or twice.

also notice the edge profile, could be a mind trick, but looks like the bottom one curves with the roof and the top curves towards the roof. I am leaning towards the top being the one that was for a truck with factory headliner.

I've often wondered about having vendors on here. I see advantages and disadvantages. An advantage is that they could pick up on what we need and what we think about their products. A disadvantage is that having them on might curtail what we say about their products.

If someone from JBG or NPD or LMC wanted to join and represent them then they are welcome to do so. But we aren't looking for a sponsorship, so their participation would be just that - participation. They could ask questions about what we need, what we think about a particular product, etc.

Let's take the headliner case. I think the way they've advertised it is poor. You nor I understand how it fits, whether it blocks the view, how to wire it, and so on. But if they were on here we could tell them that and maybe they'd improve the marketing. Or at least answer our questions and that would document things for the folks on the internet.

I've often wondered about having vendors on here. I see advantages and disadvantages. An advantage is that they could pick up on what we need and what we think about their products. A disadvantage is that having them on might curtail what we say about their products.

If someone from JBG or NPD or LMC wanted to join and represent them then they are welcome to do so. But we aren't looking for a sponsorship, so their participation would be just that - participation. They could ask questions about what we need, what we think about a particular product, etc.

Let's take the headliner case. I think the way they've advertised it is poor. You nor I understand how it fits, whether it blocks the view, how to wire it, and so on. But if they were on here we could tell them that and maybe they'd improve the marketing. Or at least answer our questions and that would document things for the folks on the internet.

It might be nice if these companies were represented at the yearly show and had a truck with what they sell installed, so we could see it in person.