Bullnose Forums

EFI For Dad's 400

Gary Lewis

Good point on the FPR - if it is already on before the computer tells it to then it may get its knickers in a twist. So, it needs to control the FPR. Got it. :nabble_smiley_good:

But, the EGR tube shouldn't be a problem as I don't plan to run EGR. Didn't you say that can be disabled?

And, while we are talking about disabling, can the transmission code be disabled? In other words, can I use just any ECU with a manual transmission? (This is for Big Blue, not Dad's truck, but is part of my learning.)

I'm sure it can without a problem, however, it gives you more options on an EEC-V box if it doesn't need to control an E4OD.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What kind of options? This sounds like a good thing.

Braved the -23C temps today for a few pics. Yes, this is considered a warming trend in Saskatchewan!

First, the 85.5/86 ECU bracket. Just so happens I have a partially stripped cab.

20180101_112213.jpg.f9e63cf4408f23c7fe359f652e7dba21.jpg

You can see the oval firewall hole that the wiring passes through. I'm not a big fan of this mounting arrangement. Seems cluttered under the dash.

Next, ECU mounting in a 2000ish Ranger.

20180101_112848.jpg.77175b2109f82d9ba2da76a97f922a1b.jpg

20180101_112505.jpg.73e36ded17654efd86561fb2de62b84b.jpg

There are a couple interesting things going on with the Ranger. The ECU is mounted high and dry on the cowl. The mounting tray allows the ECU to remain inside the cab and the connections are made at the firewall in a manner that best seals them from the weather. This also eliminates the need to pass a wire bundle through the firewall. All the wiring can stay inside the engine compartment.

They problem is that there is not similar cowl real estate available on the bullnose cab. Here are pics of a similar, (90) cab stripped down with heater components still in place.

20180101_112724.jpg.3cbb511726295f356cd1fc0399bc9b8a.jpg

20180101_112801.jpg.6e665dcd52be642f352fffcfd24c4d3f.jpg

I could envision using the Ranger ECU tray to mount the ECU through the firewall between the floor and defroster ducts.

The E150 harness mounts the ECU in the passenger footwell area, at least the 89 that I wrecked several years ago did. I recall it was not very convenient to access and the connections ran through a grommet in the firewall.

No real answers here, but food for thought.

Braved the -23C temps today for a few pics. Yes, this is considered a warming trend in Saskatchewan!

First, the 85.5/86 ECU bracket. Just so happens I have a partially stripped cab.

You can see the oval firewall hole that the wiring passes through. I'm not a big fan of this mounting arrangement. Seems cluttered under the dash.

Next, ECU mounting in a 2000ish Ranger.

There are a couple interesting things going on with the Ranger. The ECU is mounted high and dry on the cowl. The mounting tray allows the ECU to remain inside the cab and the connections are made at the firewall in a manner that best seals them from the weather. This also eliminates the need to pass a wire bundle through the firewall. All the wiring can stay inside the engine compartment.

They problem is that there is not similar cowl real estate available on the bullnose cab. Here are pics of a similar, (90) cab stripped down with heater components still in place.

I could envision using the Ranger ECU tray to mount the ECU through the firewall between the floor and defroster ducts.

The E150 harness mounts the ECU in the passenger footwell area, at least the 89 that I wrecked several years ago did. I recall it was not very convenient to access and the connections ran through a grommet in the firewall.

No real answers here, but food for thought.

Ray - Thanks for the pics. They certainly help with the understanding. Is there any chance there is enough room between the firewall and the dash at the oval hole to install the Ranger tray? In other words, could a Ranger tray, which would be for an EEC-V, be bolted to the firewall at the oval hole location? That way I might me able to use the whole Ranger ECU harness, tray, etc. And the connector would be pretty much high and dry.

However, I’m not asking you to go back out and bask in those relatively-warm temps. 😎

Ray - Thanks for the pics. They certainly help with the understanding. Is there any chance there is enough room between the firewall and the dash at the oval hole to install the Ranger tray? In other words, could a Ranger tray, which would be for an EEC-V, be bolted to the firewall at the oval hole location? That way I might me able to use the whole Ranger ECU harness, tray, etc. And the connector would be pretty much high and dry.

However, I’m not asking you to go back out and bask in those relatively-warm temps. 😎

Here's a pic from the engine side of that 86 firewall. You can see the oval hole just down and inside from the brake booster.

20171210_160419.jpg.c0342d6c978f47d2a09aa1206bb14f0c.jpg

The location I had in mind is more centered above the transmission hump. This would place the ECU behind the radio and heater controls. I think there is enough depth to accommodate, but I would have to measure.

Here's a pic from the engine side of that 86 firewall. You can see the oval hole just down and inside from the brake booster.

The location I had in mind is more centered above the transmission hump. This would place the ECU behind the radio and heater controls. I think there is enough depth to accommodate, but I would have to measure.

Yes, some place in that area should work. Thanks!

Gary, the only reason I suggested the 85-86 location is the mounts for everything except the actual EEC bracket are already in the cab. The Taurii through 1995 (and maybe newer) have the EEC mounted above the inside HVAC case with a gasket and the connector is underhood, my 1995 Lincoln Continental is the same style and on that one the whole engine harness is a bear, but all but a ground are plug in. If you can go with that style, then you would only need the connections from the EFI system to the chassis harnesses.

Question for you and Ray, is there enough room inside the oval hole to enlarge it to fit the EEC-V connector through? I have at least one extra EEC-V gasket plate or you may be able to use the Ranger one.

No, a Ranger EEC-V will not necessarily be able to run a V8 even manual transmission. On the plugs, the cover over the wiring can be changed and even in some cases the direction swapped.

Gary, the only reason I suggested the 85-86 location is the mounts for everything except the actual EEC bracket are already in the cab. The Taurii through 1995 (and maybe newer) have the EEC mounted above the inside HVAC case with a gasket and the connector is underhood, my 1995 Lincoln Continental is the same style and on that one the whole engine harness is a bear, but all but a ground are plug in. If you can go with that style, then you would only need the connections from the EFI system to the chassis harnesses.

Question for you and Ray, is there enough room inside the oval hole to enlarge it to fit the EEC-V connector through? I have at least one extra EEC-V gasket plate or you may be able to use the Ranger one.

No, a Ranger EEC-V will not necessarily be able to run a V8 even manual transmission. On the plugs, the cover over the wiring can be changed and even in some cases the direction swapped.

Bill - I'm getting lost. So let me take it point by point:

• 1985.5/86 Mounts: Those would be for the EEC-IV tray and I'm going EEC-V. Are they the same?

Or, will the V tray bolt in where a IV goes?

• Above HVAC case: I think you are suggesting what I was wondering about - put it under the dash pad/above the HVAC system. I haven't looked, and can't for a few weeks, but it seems like that would mean the wires would pass through the cowl and not just the firewall. Or, am I thinking incorrectly?

• Oval hole/adapter plate: Again, I think we may be thinking alike. If there is enough room to put the Ranger plate where the oval hole is then is there enough room to put the ECU on the other side? Ray has suggested going above the tranny.

• "connections from the EFI system to the chassis harnesses": I'm lost here. I get lost in the terminology, and don't understand what the 42-pin connector goes to, etc. So, can you please explain?

• Ranger ECU: I wasn't thinking of using a Ranger computer as I have two EEC-V ECU's from Ray -

a 302/E4OD and a 302/4R100. And, I have the EEC-V from you, but I don't remember what it was from. So, I'll use the E4 for Dad's and the 4R for Big Blue - assuming I can turn the tranny code off like you said.

Bill, I know that oval hole is big enough to pass the EECIV connector. As to the connector size, the dimensions of the 68 pin shell and the 104 pin shell appear to be identical. I don't think enlarging the hole would be necessary.

I do know the 85.5/86 mount fastens to the lower edge of the dash and to the firewall. Personally, I used some of my best GM cuss words when I had to work on the ECU mounted in that position.

I think the Ranger tray is an elegant solution. They are plastic and are glued into the firewall. Removal takes a little diligence with a razor knife and a prybar, but they do come out cleanly. I have seen them used with both EECIV and EECV ECU's. There is a plate bolted to the engine compartment side that both holds the ECU in place and provides a weatherproof seat to the connector. I have used one previously in a 52 Ford cab and it worked well.

I have to get around to posting up some pictures of my Frankentruck project, which uses a cab from an 87 model with Bullnose sheetmetal. I will be using the driver's side kick panel location as I am using the later model wiring and all the knockouts are in the correct locations, but if I had to cut a hole, I would certainly be using the Ranger tray instead of going to the 85.5/86 location.