Bullnose Forums

EFI For Dad's 400

Gary Lewis

I know I have a thread going that has been discussing EFI, but that thread is really for the E4OD and the EFI bit has been along for the ride since they are controlled by the same computer. However, if anyone is ever to find this info then they may not do so in an E4OD thread. And, threads are cheap - unless they come from Saville Row. :nabble_smiley_cool:

Anyway, today was a watershed day for EFI'ing Dad's engine. First, Ray has the harnesses, coil, EEC-V computer, etc from the 1996 2wd F150 w/a 5.0L all packaged up and is sending it my way. We went back and forth on some things, like the coil, but discovered at the last minute that the one for the '96 is different than the ones I have for the 460's, so needed the later one to fit the harness.

And, today we ordered the Trick Flow intake manifolds - plural as there is a lower and an upper. The lower is specific to the Cleveland engines, but the upper fits lowers for both the Cleveland and Windsors. And, to be specific, we ordered the TFS-516B0114, which is the natural aluminum version for a 75mm throttle body. That's because I talked with Harold Miller at Trick Flow and he said that would be a very good fit for my engine, heads, etc. But, he didn't think the unit for a 90mm throttle body would be good as we are targeting low RPM torque and not horsepower.

However, you may have caught the "we ordered". That's because Tim actually ordered the parts and is having them shipped to his shop. He's making adaptors to mate Holly's EFI upper for the LS1 to Cleveland lowers, and wants to match it up to the Trick Flow EFI lower. Here's a pic of the LS1 upper mated to a tunnel ram on a Cleveland, and you can see his 3D-printed adaptor, in brown, that mates the upper to the lower:

Holley_LS1_and_Tunnel_Ram.thumb.jpg.c0984275549b071b2f49b79267a2976e.jpg

But Harold, Tim, and I agree that the factory-style EFI lower will give much more low-end torque than the tunnel ram given the long runners on the factory-style unit, so that's the way I'm going. And, the Holley upper interferes with the distributor and I'm not ready to go coil-on-plug, so will go with the Trick Flow upper and lower. Here's a pic of them:

Trick_Flow_Upper_and_Lower.thumb.jpg.ece1e5389e0d0a061b1dda17472c004d.jpg

However, in the truck the upper needs to turn 180 degrees and point toward the driver's side. Fortunately they are symmetrical and it can be put on that way. That then begs the question of "will it fit". So, I've been trying to find the dimensions of the parts, to no avail. But, when Tim called and was ready to order I took that as the impetus needed and called Trick Flow. Fortunately they had this drawing, although not ready-to-hand they did get it to me pretty quickly.

Trick_Flow_Drawings.thumb.jpg.b4d8e588b97555612e8153a310df9000.jpg

With some scaling I was able to find the center point and then used Big Blue as a model. Measuring from the air cleaner stud on the Edelbrock I located an inlet air tube that Jim sent me, and positioned it. Here's where it would go, but you have to use your imagination a bit to "see" the manifolds and the throttle body.

Elbow_Mockup.thumb.jpg.fc9041db411bf1a7af0a38734b43ab16.jpg

Given that I realized it will fit, and pulled the trigger. I'm not sure when Tim is supposed to see the parts, but he's crashing getting ready for a show and I think he's wanting to show this adaptor as well. So, we should see pics soon. :nabble_smiley_grin:

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Th intake looks a lot like a typical 5.0 HP setup. But having it mate to Cleveland head is pretty cool!

Yes, the intake started life as a stock replacement for the 302 and 351W. Only recently did they come out with the lower for the Cleveland. And with that you can basically bolt together MAF SEFI for the Cleveland and M-block engines. Or, maybe I should include “wire together” as the Bullnose trucks don’t have the provisions for placing the computer where the later trucks did, so lengthening wires will be necessary.

And, speaking of computer placement, Bill and I were talking about boots or grommets through which to pass the harness when placing the computer under the driver’s seat. Why not use the right-angle connectors the factory used? I have the ~4” diameter hole in the floor with a plate over it. Remove the plate and cut a hole in it to accept the connector and associated boot. If I remember correctly it was the interior connector on the ‘90 that fit into the firewall, so attach it to the plate, coat the plates edges with sealer, and put it back on. Slide under and attach the engine-side connector to that one.

Yes, the intake started life as a stock replacement for the 302 and 351W. Only recently did they come out with the lower for the Cleveland. And with that you can basically bolt together MAF SEFI for the Cleveland and M-block engines. Or, maybe I should include “wire together” as the Bullnose trucks don’t have the provisions for placing the computer where the later trucks did, so lengthening wires will be necessary.

And, speaking of computer placement, Bill and I were talking about boots or grommets through which to pass the harness when placing the computer under the driver’s seat. Why not use the right-angle connectors the factory used? I have the ~4” diameter hole in the floor with a plate over it. Remove the plate and cut a hole in it to accept the connector and associated boot. If I remember correctly it was the interior connector on the ‘90 that fit into the firewall, so attach it to the plate, coat the plates edges with sealer, and put it back on. Slide under and attach the engine-side connector to that one.

Time for an update here. On Thanksgiving I got to spend some time with my brother and his older son, both of whom like the plan to EFI Dad's truck. And that appears to be especially true of his son, who is an excellent mechanic. He's finding it hard to find anyone that can work on carbs, and agrees that it is only going to get harder as time goes on. So, he fully supports my plan to make it effectively a 1996 F150 w/a 5.0L and E4OD.

As for the intakes, Tim says they are on their way to his shop, and he will take pics soon. Plus, he has ordered the spacers and will mock it up and take pictures of that as well.

And, I've been doing some thinking, searching, and looking to see how I want to route the intake plumbing. I looked yesterday at how Ford ran it for the EFI'd 5.0's in the 90's, and while I could probably do that, I'm not impressed with the size of the cold-air inlet. So I then looked at the two 460 air cleaner boxes I have and discovered that the tops can be put on backwards, which means the inlet could be plumbed to the opening in the radiator support.

But, in both the 5.0L and the 460's Ford used a double throttle body and two tubes going to the air box. However, the Trick Flow manifold uses a single throttle body, so if I'm to a two-tube box I'll have to find a Y. But, I've read that Ford used them on several of the trucks, so that shouldn't be too hard.

Thoughts?

Time for an update here. On Thanksgiving I got to spend some time with my brother and his older son, both of whom like the plan to EFI Dad's truck. And that appears to be especially true of his son, who is an excellent mechanic. He's finding it hard to find anyone that can work on carbs, and agrees that it is only going to get harder as time goes on. So, he fully supports my plan to make it effectively a 1996 F150 w/a 5.0L and E4OD.

As for the intakes, Tim says they are on their way to his shop, and he will take pics soon. Plus, he has ordered the spacers and will mock it up and take pictures of that as well.

And, I've been doing some thinking, searching, and looking to see how I want to route the intake plumbing. I looked yesterday at how Ford ran it for the EFI'd 5.0's in the 90's, and while I could probably do that, I'm not impressed with the size of the cold-air inlet. So I then looked at the two 460 air cleaner boxes I have and discovered that the tops can be put on backwards, which means the inlet could be plumbed to the opening in the radiator support.

But, in both the 5.0L and the 460's Ford used a double throttle body and two tubes going to the air box. However, the Trick Flow manifold uses a single throttle body, so if I'm to a two-tube box I'll have to find a Y. But, I've read that Ford used them on several of the trucks, so that shouldn't be too hard.

Thoughts?

If you are going MAF, they have one large hose, the big enough MAF will probably be 90mm and would only need a single hose to the throttle body. The dual hose from my throttle body goes to a y and from there to a single large hose to the MAF. I will get you a picture tomorrow.

If you are going MAF, they have one large hose, the big enough MAF will probably be 90mm and would only need a single hose to the throttle body. The dual hose from my throttle body goes to a y and from there to a single large hose to the MAF. I will get you a picture tomorrow.

Good point I'll have a 75mm throttle body, and that would go to a single MAF Ok, a picture would help.

Good point I'll have a 75mm throttle body, and that would go to a single MAF Ok, a picture would help.

Time for a couple of updates. First, I got the shipment from Ray today. Thanks, Ray!!! It has two EEC-V ECU's, one for an E4OD and one for a 4R100. And the engine harness, and power distribution block, and on and on and on..... Now I have most of what is needed to put MAF SEFI on Dad's truck. :nabble_anim_claps:

Rays_Shipment.thumb.jpg.2b99fddf10df15b7832a51b98d7e230c.jpg

Second, Tim posted on Facebook a few pics of my Trick Flow lower plenum mocked up with the Holley upper:

24231720_2001099773460977_207206546016799730_n.jpg.6f567bad06eea1354ee3ff3d893d5b50.jpg

24068173_2001099776794310_8960875074775121869_n.thumb.jpg.0c9ff7bb0db82d94d6f2514f5433ad6c.jpg

24232087_2001102073460747_6426100530100857976_n.thumb.jpg.a58a06f36ceedaa71e1f86e14b4635de.jpg

Time for a couple of updates. First, I got the shipment from Ray today. Thanks, Ray!!! It has two EEC-V ECU's, one for an E4OD and one for a 4R100. And the engine harness, and power distribution block, and on and on and on..... Now I have most of what is needed to put MAF SEFI on Dad's truck. :nabble_anim_claps:

Second, Tim posted on Facebook a few pics of my Trick Flow lower plenum mocked up with the Holley upper:

Somehow, the word "unique" comes to mind!

Nice! :nabble_smiley_beam:

Nice! :nabble_smiley_beam:

Remember, guys, that Tim is just using my lower plenum to create an adaptor to the Holley upper. But he also has my Truck Flow upper, which is what I'll use. So, what you are seeing isnt what I'll have.

Hopefully Tim will post pics of my upper and lower together so we will see the real thing.