Bullnose Forums

EFI For Dad's 400

Gary Lewis

And for air inlet tube, I’m talking about the rubber tube going from the throttle body to the airbox in the picture.

Problem might be the MAF size, the 302/351 engines use an 80mm MAF, the 460s use a 90mm MAF, I ran the flow curves on three I have and an 80mm curve I found, the 80mm may max out on his 408 M block.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Problem might be the MAF size, the 302/351 engines use an 80mm MAF, the 460s use a 90mm MAF, I ran the flow curves on three I have and an 80mm curve I found, the 80mm may max out on his 408 M block.

Bill - Looking at the Trick Flow site there are two upper plenums: 75 and 90 mm. I'll have to check with Tim to see which one we ordered. (He still has it at his shop using it for measurements.) Hopefully it is the 90 mm one.

Meaning a better upper and/or lower plenum? Larger throttle body? Different intake plumbing?

Better upper and lower plenums, have you ever seen the 1996 454 Chevy intake manifolds, the runners circle about 1 1/2 turns to get the length to help the low end torque. The 460 lower plenum is really nothing more than an aluminum 180° 4 barrel manifold with injector bungs. It is quite obvious Ford was not planning on putting any money into the 460, instead everything was dumped into the mod motors. The new 7.3L engine is going back to a nice pushrod V8.

Better upper and lower plenums, have you ever seen the 1996 454 Chevy intake manifolds, the runners circle about 1 1/2 turns to get the length to help the low end torque. The 460 lower plenum is really nothing more than an aluminum 180° 4 barrel manifold with injector bungs. It is quite obvious Ford was not planning on putting any money into the 460, instead everything was dumped into the mod motors. The new 7.3L engine is going back to a nice pushrod V8.

I've not seen the 454's intake. But I agree that there's little science in the 460's lower plenum. And the upper looks like a real bottle neck. I think I'll do a little porting/smoothing/blending/rounding as I get them ready to go on Big Blue's engine. Which I hope will be soon.

In the 87 to 91 Ford trucks, the ECU is mounted in a fairly tight area behind the drivers kick panel and I don't think air circulation is a prominent feature...
So, a sealed box, even if plastic, should do it.
The '87-96/7 F-series/Bronco EEC isn't in an area with lots of airflow, but it's not wrapped in plastic, either. It's almost touching the painted steel lower A-pillar, which conducts heat at least as fast as flowing air. A plastic box is a good thermal insulator, which I think would make the EEC substantially hotter than normal.

The 96 F150 mass air lid will fit to the same lower portion of the airbox...
The '94-96 MAF air filter box is significantly different from the '87-95 MAP filter box, even though they take the same filter and their mounting trays are very similar. But you can't mix the trays, lower boxes, or upper boxes. The MAP lower box mounts to its tray with 2 grommetted screws, and to the upper box with 4 more screws. The MAF lower box has 3 screws for the tray, and slots plus spring clips for the lid.

https://supermotors.net/getfile/825935/thumbnail/airfilters.jpg

At a glance, the lowers are almost indistinguishable. But if you notice the details, they're entirely incompatible.

In the 87 to 91 Ford trucks, the ECU is mounted in a fairly tight area behind the drivers kick panel and I don't think air circulation is a prominent feature...
The '87-96/7 F-series/Bronco EEC isn't in an area with lots of airflow, but it's not wrapped in plastic, either. It's almost touching the painted steel lower A-pillar, which conducts heat at least as fast as flowing air. A plastic box is a good thermal insulator, which I think would make the EEC substantially hotter than normal.

The '94-96 MAF air filter box is significantly different from the '87-95 MAP filter box, even though they take the same filter and their mounting trays are very similar. But you can't mix the trays, lower boxes, or upper boxes. The MAP lower box mounts to its tray with 2 grommetted screws, and to the upper box with 4 more screws. The MAF lower box has 3 screws for the tray, and slots plus spring clips for the lid.

At a glance, the lowers are almost indistinguishable. But if you notice the details, they're entirely incompatible.

Steve, valid point with one exception, the rare CA only MAF 460 air filter mounts exactly the same as the MAP sensor version.

460_MAF_air_filter.thumb.jpg.a282978a35e1289778f138b4510d7031.jpg

460_MAF_system.thumb.jpg.ae2ad4f32deb6917a770e874d11bcbbf.jpg

I may have been mistaken then about the lid compatibility. If so then he can just get the entire box and lid assembly from a mass air truck and use the inlet tube from a lightning if he’s wanting to retain a factory style air box or just use a conical filter style setup that eliminates the factory air box like pictured.2017-07-19_(1).png.47c3be2bc287bc838509de1deafbc03c.png

I may have been mistaken then about the lid compatibility. If so then he can just get the entire box and lid assembly from a mass air truck and use the inlet tube from a lightning if he’s wanting to retain a factory style air box or just use a conical filter style setup that eliminates the factory air box like pictured.

Bill - That would explain why I didn't see the differences as I have the unicorn '96 CA 460 MAF box that Mark/Dyn Blin got me - awa many other CA-spec things. So I've been looking at that in comparison to Huck's '90 box and the lid was the difference.

Dusty - I do want to retain a factory appearance, so do want the air box. That'll be a search in the future - when I get to that point. But thanks for the suggestion.

Steve - On the ECU's location, for Dad's truck I had planned on placing it under the seat where the EEC-III one was in '82 as I used an '82 cab to replace the badly-rusted one. But, that's a decision to make way down the road as 'tween now and then I'm going to be doing Big Blue with EEC-V and with everyone's help here may figure out out to get it in behind the kick panel.

Having said that, I don't want to be cutting or banging on Dad's new paint, so the under-the-seat option may be the way to go. We shall see.