Bullnose Forum

"Hook 'em Up Loose" - 1986 F-150 Restoration/build

Danny G

Very nice, indeed!

Figured I would drop the "To Do" List for the next little bit or more. incomplete and tentative.

Near Future

-Install carpet

-Install thresholds

-Install seat belts

-Install head light switch

-Install door switches

-Install Intermittent wiper assembly

-Install Trim

-Install new gauge lenses

-Install Dash

-Pull truck out of the garage and reinstall old bench seat

-Reassemble passenger door.

-Paint driver door

-Reassemble driver door.

-Pull truck outside and hang both doors.

-I am told I need to pull fenders to do this.... not looking forward to this part especially doing it solo. I might as well pull them completely off? if so maybe I leave them off until ready for paint and paint them individually?

Longer Term

-Pull tool box

-Pull tailgate

-Remove bed

-pull back into garage

-Remove fuel tank and fuel lines

-remove brake lines

-repair rear cab cross member

-install new cab mounts

-Remove rear bumper (trash)

-clean frame

-paint frame

-repair heat shields

-fab and install new brake system

-fab and install new fuel system and tank

-Rework rear end

-Install receiver hitch

-Remove hood

-Clean hood and treat with internal chassis saver

-repair and paint hood

-Repair and paint fenders

-Repair and paint cab

-remove windshield trim and attempt to buff/repair

-remove grill and attempt to buff/repair replace if necessary.

-replace ford emblems on fenders and grill

-Remove old and Install new battery tray

-remove tire mount from bed

-pull dents on bed

-final repair and paint bed

-pull dents on tailgate

-remove sub par paint job by PO

-final repair and paint of tailgate (Thinking of painting "FORD" black, may leave white).

-install bed back on truck

-replace tailgate internals and bumpers as necessary

-reinstall fenders

-reinstall hood

-rhino line truck bed

-reinstall tailgate

-Install and wire new rear bumper

-Install new front bumper

-mark and drill roof for clearance lights

-install clearance lights and wire strobe controller

-install NMO mount in center of roof if possible

-install after market headliner and accessories

-Drive family to the 2020 show next Sept.

Figured I would drop the "To Do" List for the next little bit or more. incomplete and tentative.

Near Future

-Install carpet

-Install thresholds

-Install seat belts

-Install head light switch

-Install door switches

-Install Intermittent wiper assembly

-Install Trim

-Install new gauge lenses

-Install Dash

-Pull truck out of the garage and reinstall old bench seat

-Reassemble passenger door.

-Paint driver door

-Reassemble driver door.

-Pull truck outside and hang both doors.

-I am told I need to pull fenders to do this.... not looking forward to this part especially doing it solo. I might as well pull them completely off? if so maybe I leave them off until ready for paint and paint them individually?

Longer Term

-Pull tool box

-Pull tailgate

-Remove bed

-pull back into garage

-Remove fuel tank and fuel lines

-remove brake lines

-repair rear cab cross member

-install new cab mounts

-Remove rear bumper (trash)

-clean frame

-paint frame

-repair heat shields

-fab and install new brake system

-fab and install new fuel system and tank

-Rework rear end

-Install receiver hitch

-Remove hood

-Clean hood and treat with internal chassis saver

-repair and paint hood

-Repair and paint fenders

-Repair and paint cab

-remove windshield trim and attempt to buff/repair

-remove grill and attempt to buff/repair replace if necessary.

-replace ford emblems on fenders and grill

-Remove old and Install new battery tray

-remove tire mount from bed

-pull dents on bed

-final repair and paint bed

-pull dents on tailgate

-remove sub par paint job by PO

-final repair and paint of tailgate (Thinking of painting "FORD" black, may leave white).

-install bed back on truck

-replace tailgate internals and bumpers as necessary

-reinstall fenders

-reinstall hood

-rhino line truck bed

-reinstall tailgate

-Install and wire new rear bumper

-Install new front bumper

-mark and drill roof for clearance lights

-install clearance lights and wire strobe controller

-install NMO mount in center of roof if possible

-install after market headliner and accessories

-Drive family to the 2020 show next Sept.

I like the list - and especially the last entry! :nabble_anim_claps:

Any interest in doing a to-do list that you can easily update? Check out the first post in Big Blue's Transformation. Or the first post in Dad's Truck Build.

The latter is good from the standpoint that it documents a lot of the background on the truck, and provides links to something like 20 threads or posts on FTE that provide the background. I've used that feature many times in the few months since I created it to find info that had been previously lost, or at least hard to find.

Anyway, if there's an interest in doing something like that then let me know and I'll walk you through it.

I like the list - and especially the last entry! :nabble_anim_claps:

Any interest in doing a to-do list that you can easily update? Check out the first post in Big Blue's Transformation. Or the first post in Dad's Truck Build.

The latter is good from the standpoint that it documents a lot of the background on the truck, and provides links to something like 20 threads or posts on FTE that provide the background. I've used that feature many times in the few months since I created it to find info that had been previously lost, or at least hard to find.

Anyway, if there's an interest in doing something like that then let me know and I'll walk you through it.

That's a great idea I use excel a lot... like A LOT. It's usually formulated out etc. Just this morning I was updating my excel file that tracks my solar panel output vs cost vs energy company, with BEP's etc. And also my pay and taxes one that automatically calculates what my paychecks will be, what will come out of my pay and projects end of year taxes so I can zero myself out with no refunds ( no free loans to the feds) as well as some other things. Hell I have one that uses probability and statistics of winning lottery numbers to predict future pulls. My tickets for the biggest powerball ever had the winning numbers, vertically on the ticket.

That's a great idea I use excel a lot... like A LOT. It's usually formulated out etc. Just this morning I was updating my excel file that tracks my solar panel output vs cost vs energy company, with BEP's etc. And also my pay and taxes one that automatically calculates what my paychecks will be, what will come out of my pay and projects end of year taxes so I can zero myself out with no refunds ( no free loans to the feds) as well as some other things. Hell I have one that uses probability and statistics of winning lottery numbers to predict future pulls. My tickets for the biggest powerball ever had the winning numbers, vertically on the ticket.

Do you have a OneDrive account? Or Google Drive? Not sure if it is possible from Drop Box.

OK so last night started getting trim back into place.

Got the glove box back in and aligned. If you are doing this just keep all the hinge screws barely loose so you can adjust the gaps then tighten down.

Replaced the old crumbling gauge assembly lens with a new one. And despite using a zip lock managed to loose one of the screws to the ether. It must have gotten caught on my cloths and lost when I got out of the truck. I cannot seem to find replacements for these, may need to get creative here.

Steering column bezel is back in as well.

I did take note that there are some cracks forming in the corners of the dash and the support piece the screw goes through is cracked off. This is the same for my gauge cluster bezel and radio bezel. I ordered some 1/16 and 1/8 thick abs plastic sheets. I am going to try to cut supports and epoxy weld this into place. If this does not work I am going to try Kydex. I have never used kydex but I hear it is easy to work with, strong, and molds easy with a heat gun.

This is my second time writing this as my phone refreshed as I as adding pictures. So typing this on the computer and adding pictures as an edit later.

The shop lights are very bright so it made these pictures come out dark. Does not do the new look any justice. I have a calculus test today, if I get through that quickly I think I will go ahead and put the dash pad back in today. I ordered a box of the free spinning washer head screws but I should have enough to get this guy started and on there.

I accidentally ordered the wrong carpet (again) somehow ended up with extended cab, I double checked my end so I think something went sideways. Need to wait for Rock Auto to accept the return from fedex and issue store credit before i get replacement.... third time is a charm right?

My heater/fan/ac control unit could use some love. The metal on the sliders is rusty, and it looks like the red for heat is kinda faded. I was looking at the face plate and I think i can get it off but I am worried I would break it or cause more harm. If I could get it off I could potentially restore those colors and get access to clean up that metal. Has anyone done this? anyone have the PN of that unit? I may make a separate post on that.

IMG_20190918_182708.jpg.149125b4b8527b0925f0e3c953ab1821.jpg

IMG_20190918_182714.jpg.2decb49b2837bb3fdc16277de36a6c4d.jpg

IMG_20190918_182924.jpg.1a3f7755f00d426a71289b9d079623b9.jpg

IMG_20190918_190117.jpg.fe671d3d4972835e7249034d2679f078.jpg

IMG_20190918_191638_1.jpg.1c2a17837ba7e4b773f5aa48f35985c1.jpg

OK so last night started getting trim back into place.

Got the glove box back in and aligned. If you are doing this just keep all the hinge screws barely loose so you can adjust the gaps then tighten down.

Replaced the old crumbling gauge assembly lens with a new one. And despite using a zip lock managed to loose one of the screws to the ether. It must have gotten caught on my cloths and lost when I got out of the truck. I cannot seem to find replacements for these, may need to get creative here.

Steering column bezel is back in as well.

I did take note that there are some cracks forming in the corners of the dash and the support piece the screw goes through is cracked off. This is the same for my gauge cluster bezel and radio bezel. I ordered some 1/16 and 1/8 thick abs plastic sheets. I am going to try to cut supports and epoxy weld this into place. If this does not work I am going to try Kydex. I have never used kydex but I hear it is easy to work with, strong, and molds easy with a heat gun.

This is my second time writing this as my phone refreshed as I as adding pictures. So typing this on the computer and adding pictures as an edit later.

The shop lights are very bright so it made these pictures come out dark. Does not do the new look any justice. I have a calculus test today, if I get through that quickly I think I will go ahead and put the dash pad back in today. I ordered a box of the free spinning washer head screws but I should have enough to get this guy started and on there.

I accidentally ordered the wrong carpet (again) somehow ended up with extended cab, I double checked my end so I think something went sideways. Need to wait for Rock Auto to accept the return from fedex and issue store credit before i get replacement.... third time is a charm right?

My heater/fan/ac control unit could use some love. The metal on the sliders is rusty, and it looks like the red for heat is kinda faded. I was looking at the face plate and I think i can get it off but I am worried I would break it or cause more harm. If I could get it off I could potentially restore those colors and get access to clean up that metal. Has anyone done this? anyone have the PN of that unit? I may make a separate post on that.

Truck is coming along nicely!!

That lens cap looks especially nice! Where did you pick that up from?

Truck is coming along nicely!!

That lens cap looks especially nice! Where did you pick that up from?

I got the new lens for the gauge cluster from LMC. I think i noticed ford part/engineering numbers and logo molded into it. It may be NOS, or molded on tooling someone bought.

Do you have a OneDrive account? Or Google Drive? Not sure if it is possible from Drop Box.

I have both. I have a running excel file ready to go as well

Assuming you are running Windows and have the file on your OneDrive, click the cloud icon in the lower right and click View Online. That brings up a browser tab with your OneDrive showing. Navigate to the file and click the radio button on it, then click Embed. (You might have to click the three dots ... to find Embed.) Then click Generate and copy the code that is created.

Go to the post in which you want to embed it and tick the "Message is in HTML Format" box above the Quote button. Then paste the code into the edit window.

If you've not played with HTML on here, line feeds don't work, so click the Formatting button and then the Line Feed button.

But Excel is tricky to set up. Below the code that was generated on the OneDrive browser tab you'll have the option to Customize How This Embedded Workbook Will Appear To Others. (This is one reason I use more Word docs than Excel.) On that you get to set the range of cells you want displayed, which cell to be in when the page opens, etc.

Have fun!

Assuming you are running Windows and have the file on your OneDrive, click the cloud icon in the lower right and click View Online. That brings up a browser tab with your OneDrive showing. Navigate to the file and click the radio button on it, then click Embed. (You might have to click the three dots ... to find Embed.) Then click Generate and copy the code that is created.

Go to the post in which you want to embed it and tick the "Message is in HTML Format" box above the Quote button. Then paste the code into the edit window.

If you've not played with HTML on here, line feeds don't work, so click the Formatting button and then the Line Feed button.

But Excel is tricky to set up. Below the code that was generated on the OneDrive browser tab you'll have the option to Customize How This Embedded Workbook Will Appear To Others. (This is one reason I use more Word docs than Excel.) On that you get to set the range of cells you want displayed, which cell to be in when the page opens, etc.

Have fun!

OK so Sunday was the first day off of work I have had in a couple weeks and I got some work done.

The ABS sheets came in Saturday I ended up using the 1/8 inch thick piece. I wish I had taken pictures of this process but my phone was dead.

OK so how did I do this.

First I laid the dash bezel over the ABS on the smooth side. I traced the damaged section onto the ABS with a sharpie to include the flat portion prior to and after the break.

DashMark.png.41df0fbfa196e8193a7dd820266defe8.png

I have one good screw mount left so I then laid that over the marks on the ABS using the horizontals I drew as guides to line it up correctly.

DashRepairTopMark.png.7cd37a5d91fc2bfa12ae6145c29f2172.png

This left me with a mark like such.

DashRepair_Cut_Mark.png.a695a6481cc94b1c6faf89d38ba3e595.png

I took my sheet of ABS and cut it on a scroll saw at low rpm to try to minimize melting. It still melted a bit but was able to use a pair of pliers to gently break it loose.

With the rough cut done I resorted to using a razor and a dremel to clean it up. Applied 5ton epoxy, held it in place, turned on some music and waited... and waited.

I was left with something that looks like this:

Bezel_Repair.png.eaa44b1aabfcec9603a99e31c6b36be8.png

Bezel_Repair.png.eaa44b1aabfcec9603a99e31c6b36be8.png

I profiled the hump down a bit with a dremel. I am letting it cure for 24 hours before attempting to drill the hole out.

a similar process was followed with the dash mount, except in this case I used a micrometer to get the measurements of the damage and just hack sawed out a piece to match the break. After it was dry I then used a dremel to round out the top to match the metal plate it attaches to and drilled out the hole.

DashRepair.png.c90291016ab93d23f9eeee882bdf3dec.png

Then onto the dash, this is where it really is going to look like it is coming together.

I bought the dash from JBG and by the paper work it is made by dashes direct. I dont remember if the old dash had nut clips on it or not. I hope someone can clarify but I think it did. This dash seems rather thick where the screws go almost like its intended to just be screwed into directly. Can someone verify this, and possibly provide a link/PN for the nut clips?

Also there are no holes in the defrost vents for the screws you have to make them yourself. Locating holes here will be tricky

Went ahead and did a dry fit on the dash and to locate holes in the vent side.

newdash.png.6358966eeca3f57b1b5a1128f2fb035c.png