Bullnose Forums

We'll call her Rahab

tdm3

She's appears to have lived a rough life but hopefully she can be saved.

As I said in my introductory post (http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/Middle-Tennessee-Bullnose-owner-td37925.html#a38047) the valve covers (and the oil filler) seem to be from something other than a 1980 302. What year range and line were those used? All of the brackets are jury rigged, so that also points to an engine swap at some point. Engine runs pretty well.

Transmission is either c4 or c5. I don't know how to tell them apart externally. Can you? Transmission is noisy and clunky but not sure it's all the tranny's fault. Mounts appear to be shot.

All in all she is what is to be expected for $600 bucks around here. She'll have to work for a living (Rahab again). The old rusty box is coming off to be replaced by a flatbed suitable for hauling bee hives around. I have a rebuilt 289 and to be rebuilt c4 that may end up motivating her. Also have a 4 barrel intake and small Holley carb. for it.

She has three aluminum wheels. The two on the rear appear to be from a Ranger and are 15". One of the fronts is a 15" from a Mustang and the remaining front is a steel 16". Baby will need new shoes! Two more of those Ranger wheels might fit the bill.

If you can answer any of my questions above, please do.

Thanks

20190913_101155.jpg.9bcf2315e74a5e80186316f4d9fcd6f9.jpg

20190913_101216.jpg.07f44da63b1d41f5be6b0cee6803e283.jpg

20190913_101227.jpg.7e66aa519e639715a96f5beb121d9185.jpg

No idea where the valve covers came from. But this is supposed to ID Ford's 3-speed autos, but I can't see enough of that one to tell which it is. But from what I read the C4's dip stick went into the body and the C5's into the pan.

Block casting numbers are D9OE-6015-E3A with a date code of 9A15. So if I interpret correctly that'd be the correct block series for this truck. It has an aluminum 2 barrel intake and the iron heads have a casting date of 4F29. It appears to me that someone replaced the heads, but I may be all wet. Anybody more knowledgeable than me? (That'd be a yes.)

It doesn't really matter. It's not a valuable vehicle. Just curious.

Block casting numbers are D9OE-6015-E3A with a date code of 9A15. So if I interpret correctly that'd be the correct block series for this truck. It has an aluminum 2 barrel intake and the iron heads have a casting date of 4F29. It appears to me that someone replaced the heads, but I may be all wet. Anybody more knowledgeable than me? (That'd be a yes.)

Valve covers have an 1986 part number. That with the head date code makes me think someone just swapped heads at some point. That explain the bracketry fiasco too. Transmission is a c4/5 with a b servo. Not going to pull the heads at this point just to see the casting numbers.

So...what to do? Pull the bed first. She's got severe rust. Cab is in pretty good shape. The frame is rust free too.

Then I'll decide on the motor.

Valve covers have an 1986 part number. That with the head date code makes me think someone just swapped heads at some point. That explain the bracketry fiasco too. Transmission is a c4/5 with a b servo. Not going to pull the heads at this point just to see the casting numbers.

So...what to do? Pull the bed first. She's got severe rust. Cab is in pretty good shape. The frame is rust free too.

Then I'll decide on the motor.

Valve covers are definitely passenger car, maybe Mustang?

Ford used both aluminum and cast iron intakes, and I haven't been able to figure out why. So it may well be original.

On the heads, I don't think there's much way to tell on small-block heads w/o pulling them. D8OE's were fairly common then.

Welcome aboard. I keep seeing Rehab and thinking it's Rhubarb.:nabble_smiley_grin: Maybe I'm dyslexic.

If you get a chance, post up a picture of the certification label that's on the cab...driver's side door jamb, next to the striker post. That will help answer some questions about the truck.

Welcome aboard. I keep seeing Rehab and thinking it's Rhubarb.:nabble_smiley_grin: Maybe I'm dyslexic.

If you get a chance, post up a picture of the certification label that's on the cab...driver's side door jamb, next to the striker post. That will help answer some questions about the truck.

It's Rahab. As in the prostitute in the Old Testament who ends up righteous. Could be rehab though. Working on old trucks and cars is certainly rehab for me...most of the time.:nabble_smiley_wink: