Bullnose Forum

Removing brushguard welded to frame

Kevin

I had the same issue as described with the bolts when pulling off the 86 bumper. I managed to get the bolts loose but then they would just turn. I used pliers to get a bite on one of the chrome caps to get that bolt out, but of course it marked up that cap big time. For the other three, I had to cut them. It seems if I had a thin open-ended wrench (the kind of thing that might come with new furniture that needs to be assembled) I could have grabbed that square portion of the bolt from in front of the bumper. Anyway, hence the need for new bolts (fasteners). I will check out LMC.

A cheap thin wrench wouldn't have helped - it would just spread. The best move (AFTER soaking the nuts for a few days with penetrating oil) is to wedge a prybar between the frame & bumper to keep the square in the bumper (which is strong & sized correctly) as you back the nuts off.

During reassembly, use anti-seize on the threads. Blue threadlocker is an effective anti-seize agent. After a few days, spray the bolt's exposed threads with rubberized undercoating to protect them for years.

• 1 month later...

A cheap thin wrench wouldn't have helped - it would just spread. The best move (AFTER soaking the nuts for a few days with penetrating oil) is to wedge a prybar between the frame & bumper to keep the square in the bumper (which is strong & sized correctly) as you back the nuts off.

During reassembly, use anti-seize on the threads. Blue threadlocker is an effective anti-seize agent. After a few days, spray the bolt's exposed threads with rubberized undercoating to protect them for years.

It took a couple weeks to return to the project, but I was able to grind the welds to get the frame cleaned up and flush again. I'm not sure how pretty/polished it is, but the chrome bumper fits well. Success!

IMG_1781.thumb.jpg.821ecd084e1cce03728f1bd47c459387.jpg