Bullnose Forums

Wild vacuum readings - ideas?

BigDav782

Thanks for the help everyone. 

Had a quote from a local shop that does a lot of machine work to diagnose the issue for $150, so figured that would be roughly the same cost as investing in tools for compression test or leak-by test.  They just called and said they need to rebuild the carburetor before they can do anything else - $700 at another local shop.  Trouble is, they didn't do a compression test or leak by test, though the head mechanic is 99% sure that the compression is good.  They said he introduced a vacuum leak and was able to get it running perfectly, so the internals are fine.  

Any of that make sense?  This is a well-respected place so I'm hesitant to pay for their time and take it somewhere else, but at the same time, I don't want to pay them to rebuild a carb, only to find out the valve guides were the original problem.  

Much appreciated,

Dave

When they quoted you $700 for the carburetor rebuild, was everything going to be gold plated? Was he holding a 6 gun, because that is highway robbery.

Even repairing the probably bad threads holding the throttle body to the float bowl and a few of the improvements I used to do on these, I would have to be charging in the neighborhood of $200/hr to justify that. I didn't even get near that on a 1951 Buick Carter WCD I did a while back for a customer in Utah, even the 1930 Dusenberg Shebler type S duplex was't in that price range!