Bullnose Forums

Attempting a Paint restoration - Qs and tips?

delco1946

I’ve been researching making the plunge into getting a dual action polisher to attempt to restore my trucks original paint. A couple questions:

A 1981 ford pickup would have a single stage paint job correct? Sounds like you’re limited with regards to rubbing compound if you’re dealing with a second stage/ clear coat.

Anyone have any general tips/recommendations? I’m leaning towards a porter cable for both cost and review reasons - and would expect to toss the foam pad it comes with based on comments - no big deal. If I wanna pay a bit more the Meguiars DA looks good but seems to have more problems with vibration and mechanical quality issues. Any products/ processes youve used with success on these trucks?

Not all Bullnose paints were single stage. The page at Specifications/Exterior Paint Codes has a table that shows which ones did.

I put a snippet below from that page and you can see that Light Charcoal Metallic in 86 and '7 had a clear coat. So you can find your code from the certification label, look it up in the CODE column, and see if it was clear coated.

EDIT: You said '81, and I don't see any of those paints having a clear coat.

us-page-1_1.thumb.jpg.9d4b1ad18beebc6512f0a366bcfe2488.jpg

Not all Bullnose paints were single stage. The page at Specifications/Exterior Paint Codes has a table that shows which ones did.

I put a snippet below from that page and you can see that Light Charcoal Metallic in 86 and '7 had a clear coat. So you can find your code from the certification label, look it up in the CODE column, and see if it was clear coated.

EDIT: You said '81, and I don't see any of those paints having a clear coat.

My paint codes are 5G (Dark Caramel Metallic) and 9A (white) so I have single stage paints (whew!) :nabble_smiley_good:

A dual action polisher is almost worthless. I paint, which means I cut and buff often. You don't want a DA buffer, trust me.

I started last night, and boy are my arms tired. I totally get what you saying now about the DA polishers (or probably any polisher). There are so few flat spots on my truck that it wouldn’t get much use. Considering it’s about a 200 dollar investment, I’d rather have those trailer mirrors on eBay :nabble_head-rotfl-57x22_orig:.

I did the passenger side and it looks pretty good! Still rust spots of course but the rest of it looks much nicer. The hood is pretty toasty from years in the sun so I went to a professional grade abrasive (doesn’t break down) as well as a coarser one. Stuck a pad in my drill to speed up that indelicate process.

I started last night, and boy are my arms tired. I totally get what you saying now about the DA polishers (or probably any polisher). There are so few flat spots on my truck that it wouldn’t get much use. Considering it’s about a 200 dollar investment, I’d rather have those trailer mirrors on eBay http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/uploads/6/5/8/7/65879365/head-rotfl-57x22_orig.gif.

I did the passenger side and it looks pretty good! Still rust spots of course but the rest of it looks much nicer. The hood is pretty toasty from years in the sun so I went to a professional grade abrasive (doesn’t break down) as well as a coarser one. Stuck a pad in my drill to speed up that indelicate process.

612731F5-6E49-4884-A508-8E4CF1A490A4.jpeg.e291683b5936eb63692453434d8604ee.jpeg

I started last night, and boy are my arms tired. I totally get what you saying now about the DA polishers (or probably any polisher). There are so few flat spots on my truck that it wouldn’t get much use. Considering it’s about a 200 dollar investment, I’d rather have those trailer mirrors on eBay :nabble_head-rotfl-57x22_orig:.

Not true about" any" polisher, or I would have said that. You just bought the wrong piece of equipment. You probably also didn't get the best material to use. If you are serious, I will lay it out for you. Let me know.