Bullnose Forums

15X8 Bronco wheels question

Rembrant

All Broncos can use the same wheels from any other Bronco: 15" x 6.5-10" with 5-on-5.5" 1/2" cone-seat lugs and ~3 1/8" pilot hole. Same as '75 (I think) -96 F150s.

Yes I'm sure all of the different width wheels fit just fine. I was just pointing out that the description was a little vague since there are different wheels that basically look the same. If you were looking for something specific, you need more details.

So, how difficult would it be to match the original color of the wheels if one had to repaint a set?

These wheels in the listing below are only noted as being from an IFS Bronco...
All Broncos can use the same wheels from any other Bronco: 15" x 6.5-10" with 5-on-5.5" 1/2" cone-seat lugs and ~3 1/8" pilot hole. Same as '75 (I think) -96 F150s. They can also use most E150 wheels, but '04-13 are 16".
...the part number stamped on the inside, correct?
Usually the basic size and a 1-letter style code (16x7J) is stamped inside in plain text. Often on the back of a spoke, but sometimes around the inner bead.

https://supermotors.net/getfile/1149744/thumbnail/rims.jpg

It may be worth noting...I too have these wheels. I took them off an 87 bronco. There is a bolt on my disc brake calipers that just barely touch the id of the rim. I had to file down the bolt head to het them to fit.

So, how difficult would it be to match the original color of the wheels if one had to repaint a set?

It shouldn't be too difficult; it is only an Argent (silver sparkle) paint.

I personally wouldn't buy a used set from a junkyard or Craiglist. I purchased mine (reconditioned) from the seller I listed above and they looked brand new. I just checked my previous link above, and they now have 5 available for sale. $64 plus free shipping is a pretty good deal, and those wheels are getting harder to find. I bet if you email the seller, he would sell you them for $50 a piece if you purchase all five.

I personally wouldn't buy a used set from a junkyard or Craiglist. I purchased mine (remanufactured) from the seller I listed above and they looked brand new. I just checked my previous link above, and he now has 5 available for sale.

Understood, and thanks for the heads up.

I know the center caps are available aftermarket, but what about the trim rings? Are they hard to find?

I personally wouldn't buy a used set from a junkyard or Craiglist. I purchased mine (remanufactured) from the seller I listed above and they looked brand new. I just checked my previous link above, and he now has 5 available for sale.

Understood, and thanks for the heads up.

I know the center caps are available aftermarket, but what about the trim rings? Are they hard to find?

Sorry, I slightly modified my post before I realized you made a response.

The trim rings with the painted red stripes (1982 - 1989) are getting harder to find. And no one reproduces them. The ones without red stripes (1990/1991) are available from the aftermarket, and you can always add red (or blue) pin stripes to them, if you wish.

The stock Ford ones are bushed aluminum, but I think the aftermarket versions have a chrome finish.

I think the trim rings with the wagon wheels look great and unique on these older trucks. I get lots of compliments on mine.

The page at Driveline/Wheels shows how to ID wheels via the code stamped near the valve stem on the back side. The 1987 & '88 wagonwheel/spoked argent wheels are E7TZ 1015-A.

Interesting. If I understand the documentation correctly I am supposed to have 15x6.0 (Type 1) wheels, but the cert label on the door jamb indicates 15x5.5. Does the 5.5" refer to the tire specifically, and not the wheel?

ETA: Or does the 5.5 refer to the bolt circle, and not the width?

The 15x6 wheels were likely the white ones (no trim ring). I've compared my 15x6 wheels with the 15x7 and the difference is made up with backspacing so when installed they come out equally to the body work.