Bullnose Forums

Lugging at speed/No power at WOT

ratdude747

I would believe that it would be OK. However, I would get an experts opinion and go however they suggested. You do only want to do this once and right the first time around.

Yep. Why I'm asking around.

Did the other 6 bearings... they're hovering around 0.0020 or so like #1.

Too bad the next size I can get is 0.0100" under... The manual mentions 0.001" and 0.002" undersize bearings, but that doesn't seem to be a currently stocked item. :nabble_smiley_argh:

Edit: sealed power seems to make them... at $53 per set at rockauto. Nobody else makes that increment. Will check ebay... it can't be that big of an issue if only the "premium" brand makes them?

Yep. Why I'm asking around.

Did the other 6 bearings... they're hovering around 0.0020 or so like #1.

Too bad the next size I can get is 0.0100" under... The manual mentions 0.001" and 0.002" undersize bearings, but that doesn't seem to be a currently stocked item. :nabble_smiley_argh:

Edit: sealed power seems to make them... at $53 per set at rockauto. Nobody else makes that increment. Will check ebay... it can't be that big of an issue if only the "premium" brand makes them?

With all of that money in the engine I'd be wanting to get it "right" on the bottom end. But, what is "right"?

You originally said:

At least on #1 (all 7 mains had the same result with the "wrong" plastigauge), it looks like I'm at between 0.0020 and 0.0030 (more towards 0.0020). Out of the desired range (0.0008-0.0015), but within the allowable range (0.0010-0.0028)

But, have you checked at several spots on the crank for each bearing? That would be my next step to ensure that you are not on a peak or in a valley. Make sure that you know what you have.

If you find that your measurements are right and that you are in the .0020 - .0028 range I'd increase the bearing size by .0010". That will put you pretty much in the desired range at .0010 to .0018". And for $53 that's a no brainer to me. Your oil pressure will be much better and you'll have a lot more miles in the engine.

With all of that money in the engine I'd be wanting to get it "right" on the bottom end. But, what is "right"?

You originally said:

At least on #1 (all 7 mains had the same result with the "wrong" plastigauge), it looks like I'm at between 0.0020 and 0.0030 (more towards 0.0020). Out of the desired range (0.0008-0.0015), but within the allowable range (0.0010-0.0028)

But, have you checked at several spots on the crank for each bearing? That would be my next step to ensure that you are not on a peak or in a valley. Make sure that you know what you have.

If you find that your measurements are right and that you are in the .0020 - .0028 range I'd increase the bearing size by .0010". That will put you pretty much in the desired range at .0010 to .0018". And for $53 that's a no brainer to me. Your oil pressure will be much better and you'll have a lot more miles in the engine.

Checked #1 at another location, no change. Checking rod bearing #1 to see if they're reading OK.

Question: the manual says nothing about lubing the bolt threads, but i remember them being coated in high-sulfur oil/grease (you could smell it!). Could the bolts being dry be my issue?

Edit: Rod #1 was perfect, at or just above 0.0010. Will try lubing the main bolts and retesting.

Checked #1 at another location, no change. Checking rod bearing #1 to see if they're reading OK.

Question: the manual says nothing about lubing the bolt threads, but i remember them being coated in high-sulfur oil/grease (you could smell it!). Could the bolts being dry be my issue?

Edit: Rod #1 was perfect, at or just above 0.0010. Will try lubing the main bolts and retesting.

No change. A picture is worth a thousand words:

IMG_20200425_1729481.thumb.jpg.ab255df1f86258e97704f5f768cd0705.jpg

Looks like I'm ordering bearings and waiting a week, unless I find a similar price somewhere closer. Napa had them online for cheaper... out of stock. :nabble_smiley_angry:

No change. A picture is worth a thousand words:

Looks like I'm ordering bearings and waiting a week, unless I find a similar price somewhere closer. Napa had them online for cheaper... out of stock. :nabble_smiley_angry:

Went ahead and ordered bearings... and more plastigage.

This stinks since it won't be until the middle of this coming week that I'll see them. At least I can get rings gapped, the head assembled, and the valve cover painted in the mean time.

FYI, King Bearings make them too, but the pricing on any I could get in a decent amount of time wasn't any better. The Enginetech Rod bearings I ordered are marked with the King logo, so now I know who they're buying from.

Went ahead and ordered bearings... and more plastigage.

This stinks since it won't be until the middle of this coming week that I'll see them. At least I can get rings gapped, the head assembled, and the valve cover painted in the mean time.

FYI, King Bearings make them too, but the pricing on any I could get in a decent amount of time wasn't any better. The Enginetech Rod bearings I ordered are marked with the King logo, so now I know who they're buying from.

I know you were chomping at the bit to get it together, but in the long run I think you'll be happy that you took the time to get the right bearings. It is the right thing to do. :nabble_smiley_wink:

I know you were chomping at the bit to get it together, but in the long run I think you'll be happy that you took the time to get the right bearings. It is the right thing to do. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Yep.

----

Gapped and installed rings last night. No issues, everything in spec.

Yep.

----

Gapped and installed rings last night. No issues, everything in spec.

Cool!

While you are at it, and if you haven't, run a tap through every threaded hole to clean them out. It will make installation so much easier.

And clean up the threads on the bolts. But don't run a wire wheel over the heads of the fasteners as that takes off any plating that may still be on them.

Cool!

While you are at it, and if you haven't, run a tap through every threaded hole to clean them out. It will make installation so much easier.

And clean up the threads on the bolts. But don't run a wire wheel over the heads of the fasteners as that takes off any plating that may still be on them.

Cleaned fasteners last night... mainly by soaking them (in batches) in mineral spirits.

I don't happen to have a tap set... I know, shame on me. Might need to get a set while I'm on a hardware run today.

Speaking of which, my head dowels are rough, and finding replacements is proving to be a bit of a pain... Summit has them for $12 + shipping for a 25 pack... no thanks. Will see if my honey hole of hardware happens to have them... if not, then summit it is. Ugh.

Cleaned fasteners last night... mainly by soaking them (in batches) in mineral spirits.

I don't happen to have a tap set... I know, shame on me. Might need to get a set while I'm on a hardware run today.

Speaking of which, my head dowels are rough, and finding replacements is proving to be a bit of a pain... Summit has them for $12 + shipping for a 25 pack... no thanks. Will see if my honey hole of hardware happens to have them... if not, then summit it is. Ugh.

Use a file and clean them up a bit? Make sure it is a "safe" file, meaning that it is smooth on the side hitting the head.