Bullnose Forums

New tires- thoughts/advice

Ok so the door panel seems to give a range for tire sizes from 9.5 - 16.5 E. For the rim I think it might just be specifying what it came with? And that was as I suspected the 16.5×6.75 rim Which I am moving away from since apparently it’s hard to find tires in that diameter.

Yes. Bottom line: Get tires sized to fit whatever rims you use. And later model rims did get wider. So if yours are later rims, measure them and get tires that are supposed to go on that size of rim.

Yes. Bottom line: Get tires sized to fit whatever rims you use. And later model rims did get wider. So if yours are later rims, measure them and get tires that are supposed to go on that size of rim.

I've been happy with the Goodyear Wranglers I put on my '80. Ordered at Walmart online and picked up at store for their garage to install. Great deal. Hardest part was explaining 3 on the tree to the kid in the tire dept. They fit the Sanford and Son look I wanted.

image722.jpeg.ef53d9f8373360a9257cb1d36145a497.jpeg

I've been happy with the Goodyear Wranglers I put on my '80. Ordered at Walmart online and picked up at store for their garage to install. Great deal. Hardest part was explaining 3 on the tree to the kid in the tire dept. They fit the Sanford and Son look I wanted.

That’s a good-looking truck!

That’s a good-looking truck!

Thanks.

Spent the whole weekend replacing exhaust sensors under Dad's diesel Ram. Makes you appreciate the simplicity of our rigs. All I did to mine this weekend was replace my rear view mirror, run the engine and play with the radio. Still hoping to knock out a brake job on my Ford one of these weekends so I can start driving it regularly. Dad's getting tired of folks asking if that old truck is for sale and he has threatened to plant flowers in it.

image456.jpeg.c74e7f3f90a83c620913893c07339b98.jpeg

• 1 month later...

Thanks.

Spent the whole weekend replacing exhaust sensors under Dad's diesel Ram. Makes you appreciate the simplicity of our rigs. All I did to mine this weekend was replace my rear view mirror, run the engine and play with the radio. Still hoping to knock out a brake job on my Ford one of these weekends so I can start driving it regularly. Dad's getting tired of folks asking if that old truck is for sale and he has threatened to plant flowers in it.

I am currently considering a tire purchase. The 32" BF Goodrich Mud Terrains on Little Blue are noisy as all-get-out. I'm fixin' to take a medium length trip with the wife next month. I'm working on making the truck quieter. So, exhaust, tires, weatherstrip, and the loose bolts holding the wood bed down....

Anyone have any opinions on the quietest All-Terrain that doesn't look neutered? I am not a huge fan of plain-jane looking tires.

I am currently considering a tire purchase. The 32" BF Goodrich Mud Terrains on Little Blue are noisy as all-get-out. I'm fixin' to take a medium length trip with the wife next month. I'm working on making the truck quieter. So, exhaust, tires, weatherstrip, and the loose bolts holding the wood bed down....

Anyone have any opinions on the quietest All-Terrain that doesn't look neutered? I am not a huge fan of plain-jane looking tires.

Big Blue has Cooper Discoverer S/TMaxx tires on him and they aren't loud at all. They seem to be well thought of in the reading I've done.

But I'd go to Tire Rack and look at the tires you are considering. Select up to 4 and hit the compare button. That brings up all kinds of detail on the tires, including noise ratings.

Big Blue has Cooper Discoverer S/TMaxx tires on him and they aren't loud at all. They seem to be well thought of in the reading I've done.

But I'd go to Tire Rack and look at the tires you are considering. Select up to 4 and hit the compare button. That brings up all kinds of detail on the tires, including noise ratings.

The only 15" available in the Cooper Discoverer S/TMaxx is 35x12.5x15!!!!!!!! My 32's already rub a little bit at max steering lock. 35's would be way too big.

Im not a smart man, but I am guessing you have 16" rims Gary. I know you enough to know you wouldn't go with 35's...

The only 15" available in the Cooper Discoverer S/TMaxx is 35x12.5x15!!!!!!!! My 32's already rub a little bit at max steering lock. 35's would be way too big.

Im not a smart man, but I am guessing you have 16" rims Gary. I know you enough to know you wouldn't go with 35's...

I didn't put the tires and wheels on Big Blue. The previous owner, Vernon did that. And they are LT285/75R16's, which equates to 33" tires. But with the 460 and 3.55's, plus that he's an F250 getting a D60 in front, Big Blue could handle 35's.

But you are right that 35's would be too much on your truck. I wasn't aware those tires weren't available in something smaller. Sorry, won't work.

I didn't put the tires and wheels on Big Blue. The previous owner, Vernon did that. And they are LT285/75R16's, which equates to 33" tires. But with the 460 and 3.55's, plus that he's an F250 getting a D60 in front, Big Blue could handle 35's.

But you are right that 35's would be too much on your truck. I wasn't aware those tires weren't available in something smaller. Sorry, won't work.

My son has these on his truck and is quite [and quiet!] pleased.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Defender+LTX+M/S&partnum=375TR5DLTXOWLXL