Bullnose Forums

Gas mileage test [revisited]

Well, Cory [Rembrant] is sending his "old" Type 5 mirrors to me, so they will be in place for the 600+ mile drive to and from Skiatook. Thanks, Cory! :nabble_anim_handshake:

These old mirrors needed a place to go, and I'm happy to see them spend some time on I-40 for Bullnose MPG testing! They might decrease drag, but they'll also decrease your rear view...lol. I just cleaned them up. They're not perfect, but they'll look just fine at 60mph.

IMG_8475.jpg

Those mirrors look great, Cory! :nabble_smiley_good:

Let me know how the MPG challenge goes!

Stay tuned as it will be reported, here, either by Gary while I am returning from the show, or me, later. :nabble_anim_handshake:

I want to thank Cory, publicly, for the Type 5 mirrors. They arrived yesterday and look very nice! This weekend, they will be installed in preparation for the drive to Skiatook, OK, next week.

Cory was also kind enough to include a New Brunswick license plate which will proudly be displayed on the wall of my "man cave"..

Thanks, Cory!

I want to thank Cory, publicly, for the Type 5 mirrors. They arrived yesterday and look very nice! This weekend, they will be installed in preparation for the drive to Skiatook, OK, next week.

Cory was also kind enough to include a New Brunswick license plate which will proudly be displayed on the wall of my "man cave"..

Thanks, Cory!

Well done, Cory! :nabble_anim_claps:

Thanks, Cory!

Over the last few weeks, I have been talking about the Garagemahal Truck Show and the upcoming gas mileage test [revisited] with a group of men at a local breakfast restaurant. Today, one 75 year old man proceeded to give me some advice:

1. Drive with tailgate down or removed.

2. Add Lucas gas treatment to every other tank.

3. Use 100% gasoline.

4. Use higher than 87 octane fuel.

5. Replace air filter with a K&N filter element.

I thanked him. :nabble_smiley_beam:

Over the last few weeks, I have been talking about the Garagemahal Truck Show and the upcoming gas mileage test [revisited] with a group of men at a local breakfast restaurant. Today, one 75 year old man proceeded to give me some advice:

1. Drive with tailgate down or removed.

2. Add Lucas gas treatment to every other tank.

3. Use 100% gasoline.

4. Use higher than 87 octane fuel.

5. Replace air filter with a K&N filter element.

I thanked him. :nabble_smiley_beam:

Supposedly the tailgate down idea was debunked by Myth Busters.

As for the octane, some say higher octane than needed can actually hurt MPG. Their thinking is that fuel with a higher octane rating burns slower, but I don't think that is correct. The octane rating really determines how volatile a fuel is, meaning how prone it is to an explosion rather than a controlled burn. On the other hand, it is possible to use fuel of such a high octane rating that it is hard to light off in a low-compression engine, and that would cause poor fuel economy.

In fact, Blue gets better MPG with higher octane fuel. That's because it has a knock sensor and the computer can advance the timing more w/o knocking with the higher-octane fuel.

As for the octane, some say higher octane than needed can actually hurt MPG. Their thinking is that fuel with a higher octane rating burns slower, but I don't think that is correct. The octane rating really determines how volatile a fuel is, meaning how prone it is to an explosion rather than a controlled burn. On the other hand, it is possible to use fuel of such a high octane rating that it is hard to light off in a low-compression engine, and that would cause poor fuel economy.

In fact, Blue gets better MPG with higher octane fuel. That's because it has a knock sensor and the computer can advance the timing more w/o knocking with the higher-octane fuel.

How about 8.4 to 1? And, no knock sensor?

How about 8.4 to 1? And, no knock sensor?

High octane fuel would be a waste at 8.4:1. But I doubt it would hurt the MPG.

Thanks, Cory!

David,

MPG aside, let me know what you think of the mirrors for actually seeing behind you!:nabble_smiley_grin:

PS: For "Man Cave" discussions, you can note that New Brunswick is where the Bricklin SV-1 was built during it's short lifespan in the mid 1970's. They were powered by a Ford 351w for at least part of the production run. Not sure how often you guys see them down south these days, but I see one every now and then in the summer months.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bricklin_SV-1

They still show up for sale as well. This one below is listed for sale in New Brunswick but is actually in Maine.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars/fredericton/1975-bricklin-sv-1/1454189923?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true