Bullnose Forums

Gas mileage test [revisited]

Shaun - If you can, get a rental with the Ecoboost. Or a diesel.

Timothy (rust&crust) - You got back on! Good! 10 MPG isn't bad with that much weight. My 2015, Blue, got 11.0 towing our 25' SeaRay to/from Lake Powell in Utah. The boat weighs about 5K and the trailer, being aluminum, is just less than 1k, so we were at 6k #'s. We towed at 65 MPH and the engine handled it superbly.

In fact, to this point I'd much rather tow with that truck that with Big Blue. There's no muss, no fuss, just "can do!" And, at 11.0 MPG towing 6K #'s vs 11.5 running light on Big Blue, the MPG is excellent. But maybe the new engine in Big Blue will change that.

Having said that, Paul/Rogue_Wulff will probably, as David said, spank us. That Cummins is getting 30 running light. Blue gets maybe 20 on the same course. So 11 over 20 gives 55% when towing. That means Paul might get 16.5 MPG towing, although from what I've read the diesels don't lose as much MPG as the gas engines do when towing. :nabble_smiley_cry:

you guys ever break down your MPGs by weight of the vehicle? The newer F-150's are significantly heavier correct?

Point being if the new guy is getting say 18mpg and weighs 6000lbs but the bullnose is coming in at 3800lbs and 21mpg.

What would an eco-boost pull off in a bullnose.

Point being if the new guy is getting say 18mpg and weighs 6000lbs but the bullnose is coming in at 3800lbs and 21mpg.

I can't wait to do some MPG tuning next year. My Bullnose weighs in at just under 3400 lbs, so it's pretty light as trucks go. With the 5spd and 3.08 rear end, it only runs at about 2000 RPM or so on the highway at 60-ish MPH. I managed to hit 18.25 mpg last year, but I'd love to hit 20 or 21 with it. That would be great!

you guys ever break down your MPGs by weight of the vehicle? The newer F-150's are significantly heavier correct?

What would an eco-boost pull off in a bullnose.

The new trucks are made of aluminum and a 2015 is 700 pounds lighter than the 2014. And from what I can tell a 2015 Supercrew like Blue comes in at about 4500 lbs. However, that's probably w/o the sunroof, heavier rear axle, vibrating seats, etc.

So I'm not sure how a Bullnose crew and a later supercrew would compare in weight. Wait! The crew cab was not available in an F150 for sure and I don't think it was available in an F250 in the Bullnose years. So that's not a good comparison.

In any event, I think a 3.5L EB in a Bullnose would be a winner! Drop another 700 lbs from 4500 to 3800 and go up 2X or more in HP and torque, plus at least a 6-speed tranny, and the thing would scream.

The new trucks are made of aluminum and a 2015 is 700 pounds lighter than the 2014. And from what I can tell a 2015 Supercrew like Blue comes in at about 4500 lbs. However, that's probably w/o the sunroof, heavier rear axle, vibrating seats, etc.

So I'm not sure how a Bullnose crew and a later supercrew would compare in weight. Wait! The crew cab was not available in an F150 for sure and I don't think it was available in an F250 in the Bullnose years. So that's not a good comparison.

In any event, I think a 3.5L EB in a Bullnose would be a winner! Drop another 700 lbs from 4500 to 3800 and go up 2X or more in HP and torque, plus at least a 6-speed tranny, and the thing would scream.

The 2019 F150 is running as high as nearly 5700lbs. The VW CEO said it best. Pick ups are getting too damn big. He was talking about bringing back true light duty size trucks back to the market. HECK I think the new 2020 rangers is about the size of our 80's model F-150s.

I can't wait to do some MPG tuning next year. My Bullnose weighs in at just under 3400 lbs, so it's pretty light as trucks go. With the 5spd and 3.08 rear end, it only runs at about 2000 RPM or so on the highway at 60-ish MPH. I managed to hit 18.25 mpg last year, but I'd love to hit 20 or 21 with it. That would be great!

I have high hopes. I drove my truck back from VA to Charleston SC in rough rough shape, through the mountains down I81/I26 . It died a couple times and the speedo was off so I was driving through these mountains at like 80-85mph of course it bogged down when I hit the hills, sometimes it wouldn't bog down. I got about 12-12.5mpg on that trip. So for unintentionally driving 80-85mph I'm pretty happy with that lol. It means at more reasonable speeds after the old gale has had a bit of mecanical rework etc she should do really well. It has a 300 with C6 and 3.08 gears. I would like to get an AOD behind that 300.