Bullnose Forums

28 oz vs 50 oz Flywheel and Balancer 351W

Bruno2

I was wondering how a person determines if they need the 28 oz balancer or the 50?

I am about 90% sure I need the 28 oz, but would like some confirmation before I continue the build. The reason why I am thinking 28 oz is because all of the parts I have laying around from different 351 W's seem to have the 28 oz weights on them. I believe one of the flywheels is from the 82 I am building, another is from my 87 Bronco and one is an aftermarket I got from Gary. All of them are 28 oz.

Any opinions or thoughts?

Brandon, I don't have a good answer on that, maybe the parts fiches Gary has or the 1980-89 parts CD might help, If you are building a "killer" 351W anyway I am sure it will be balanced anyway. The machine shop probably has a list of which crank casting numbers take which external weight.

Brandon, I don't have a good answer on that, maybe the parts fiches Gary has or the 1980-89 parts CD might help, If you are building a "killer" 351W anyway I am sure it will be balanced anyway. The machine shop probably has a list of which crank casting numbers take which external weight.

Ill check the catalog, but I don’t think it shows anything about the weight. Anyway, I will look.