Bullnose Forums

Website Revision - Potential New Home Page

Oh yes: You may notice that there are actually two Freefind search bars at the top of the page. One, like the previous Facebook stuff, gets hidden by the menu, and I don't know how to fix that. I've added plenty of line feeds "

" but that didn't really fix it.Having said that, perhaps it will fix itself if/when I find the right Weebly theme that doesn't have the hamburger going away.
Everyone: I'm working in the background to try to implement a cleaner look for the site. As you'll have seen if you are reading along, I've removed two Facebook sections as well as a couple of search boxes. And, if I get the Freefind search to cover the forum itself then I'll eliminate the Nabble search that currently says "Search Forum" and we'll be down to one search function for everything.Plus, I plan to move ahead with essentially the changes that Vic has suggested in the menu. BUT I WANT YOUR CONCURRANCE BEFORE I GO TO ALL THAT WORK. The intent is to have a menu instead of a hamburger, and it will have three things showing:
  • Forum: And beneath that will be nothing as all forum-related things should be in the forum itself.
  • Documentation: Clicking that will bring up the documentation menu fairly well like today, with the exceptions of Forum and About Me/Contact Me and, hopefully, some good rationalization. (Not sure what I'm going to do with the About Me/Contact Me stuff, but will figure it out.)
  • About or Home: This will hopefully do what we've been discussing of having some static content moved there and free up the white space on the forum pages. Seems to me it should have the picture, the prayer, and a description that tells what the website is about. Plus a "contact me" thing.
So, what do you think? Will that do what we've been discussing? I'll be creating the About page while waiting for your responses, but won't make the major changes to the menu until I get thoughts from several of you 'cause it is going to be a lot of work.

Everyone: I'm working in the background to try to implement a cleaner look for the site. As you'll have seen if you are reading along, I've removed two Facebook sections as well as a couple of search boxes. And, if I get the Freefind search to cover the forum itself then I'll eliminate the Nabble search that currently says "Search Forum" and we'll be down to one search function for everything.

Plus, I plan to move ahead with essentially the changes that Vic has suggested in the menu. BUT I WANT YOUR CONCURRANCE BEFORE I GO TO ALL THAT WORK. The intent is to have a menu instead of a hamburger, and it will have three things showing:

• Forum: And beneath that will be nothing as all forum-related things should be in the forum itself.

• Documentation: Clicking that will bring up the documentation menu fairly well like today, with the exceptions of Forum and About Me/Contact Me and, hopefully, some good rationalization. (Not sure what I'm going to do with the About Me/Contact Me stuff, but will figure it out.)

• About or Home: This will hopefully do what we've been discussing of having some static content moved there and free up the white space on the forum pages. Seems to me it should have the picture, the prayer, and a description that tells what the website is about. Plus a "contact me" thing.

So, what do you think? Will that do what we've been discussing? I'll be creating the About page while waiting for your responses, but won't make the major changes to the menu until I get thoughts from several of you 'cause it is going to be a lot of work.

Sounds good! I was all right with what you had, improvements sound good though!

Sounds good! I was all right with what you had, improvements sound good though!

Thanks, Dane & Shaune.

I've gone ahead and created the Documentation page and moved all the documentation under it, lock/stock/barrel. Meaning I've not looked for a home for About/Contact Me, nor even thought about where some of the contents should go.

But at least now you can almost get a feel for what I'm up to - pretty much what Vic suggested. And, I hope, pretty well in line with what others suggested for a "home page".

The next step will be to find a theme that doesn't push the menu into the hamburger, at least for desktop users, so you can see the three choices.

After that I need to create homes in the forum for the stuff in the menu under the forum, and at the same time do some other merging of things, like the For Sale, Want To Buy, and eBay & Craigslist folders into one pinned folder called Market Place. (No one said boo about that, so I assume y'all are ok with it.)

Then I need to find homes for the extraneous stuff in the Documentation menu.

:nabble_anim_working:

But, I really, REALLY would like y'all to give me input. For instance, what would you change on the About page? Do you like the move of the prayer and pic to the About page? Etc, etc, etc. There are lots of little changes that may get overlooked, but if you see something that doesn't look right then PLEASE let me know what the problem is and how you'd fix it.

Sounds ok to me, maybe we will be able to find the engine controls now?

Not yet, Bill. We need to rethink a bunch of the pages, placement, etc. But working together like we've been doing appears to work. We've been kicking around ideas and it is now starting to take shape.

Everyone: I'm working in the background to try to implement a cleaner look for the site. As you'll have seen if you are reading along, I've removed two Facebook sections as well as a couple of search boxes. And, if I get the Freefind search to cover the forum itself then I'll eliminate the Nabble search that currently says "Search Forum" and we'll be down to one search function for everything.

Plus, I plan to move ahead with essentially the changes that Vic has suggested in the menu. BUT I WANT YOUR CONCURRANCE BEFORE I GO TO ALL THAT WORK. The intent is to have a menu instead of a hamburger, and it will have three things showing:

This sounds good, Gary, and I think it will make the navigation more intuitive. Too bad it is so much work to make it happen, but hopefully worth it. I take it the forum main page will still be the default Garagemahal page?

Regarding the streamlining of pinned folders and posts, I agree that too much clutter up top is not good. Most of what is in “Resources” links back to documentation pages. I believe I was the one who suggested this folder, and I more had in mind a place for folks to drop useful external links. It isn’t being used for that, so maybe it can be eliminated? Most of the content is redundant pathways back to documentation. I think the marketplace folder to house the eBay/Craigslist, For Sale/Trade, and Wanted to Buy sections is a good idea. If admins are the only ones to use the administrative area, could it be moved to clean up the forum column? Maybe not, but if few use it, it does not need prime real estate. Would it make sense to pin “how did you find us?” In the new member folder instead of the main forum? I think that’s it...

This sounds good, Gary, and I think it will make the navigation more intuitive. Too bad it is so much work to make it happen, but hopefully worth it. I take it the forum main page will still be the default Garagemahal page?

Regarding the streamlining of pinned folders and posts, I agree that too much clutter up top is not good. Most of what is in “Resources” links back to documentation pages. I believe I was the one who suggested this folder, and I more had in mind a place for folks to drop useful external links. It isn’t being used for that, so maybe it can be eliminated? Most of the content is redundant pathways back to documentation. I think the marketplace folder to house the eBay/Craigslist, For Sale/Trade, and Wanted to Buy sections is a good idea. If admins are the only ones to use the administrative area, could it be moved to clean up the forum column? Maybe not, but if few use it, it does not need prime real estate. Would it make sense to pin “how did you find us?” In the new member folder instead of the main forum? I think that’s it...

Jonathan - Thanks.

Yes, the main forum page will still be the default page. But you could link to the About page if you wanted and it would be an intro to the site. (I'm sure the About page needs to be revised, so let me know what you see that needs changed.)

On Resources, there are some good links in there. So I'm loathe to just delete it. Can we wait until the rest of the revisions are done and we know what things look like?

The Admins are the only ones that can see into the Admin Only folder, but we need it. And I don't know where else to put it.

How Did You Find Us has now been pinned to New Members Start Here. :nabble_smiley_good:

And Marketplace has been created and the other three moved into it.