Bullnose Forums

Brake proportioning valve [E4TZ-2B257-C] - NOS

I need that.

Does that fit a 1985 F150?

(Gary?)

Rick - No, sorry. Some E-Series vans and...

E4TZ 2B257-C

84/ F250 - - 2/W/D - Over 6900 G.V.W. and Under 8500 G.V.W.

84/ F350 - - 2/W/D - Crew Cab w/single rear wheels w/9200 G.V.W. and 4.9L, 5.8L, 6.9 dsl, engs.

84/ F350 — w/dual rear wheels

I need that.

Does that fit a 1985 F150?

(Gary?)

That one doesn't look like an OEM unit, although it could be...I removed mine and I thought it was cast iron.

It almost looks like one of the aftermarket units:

https://shop.broncograveyard.com/1976-1986-Ford-Bronco-F-Series-Truck-Aftermarket-Pro-Valve/productinfo/22519/

Edit: I was typing while Gary was answering...NM...:nabble_smiley_wink:

That one doesn't look like an OEM unit, although it could be...I removed mine and I thought it was cast iron.

https://shop.broncograveyard.com/1976-1986-Ford-Bronco-F-Series-Truck-Aftermarket-Pro-Valve/productinfo/22519/

It does look like that aftermarket unit.

Just so we all know . .that is NOT a proportioning valve. It is a combination valve. If a disc/drum setup, it MIGHT have a proportioning valve built into it, although some vehicles still had the proportioning valve mounted outside. This is a huge misnomer passed around and around, so that everyone ends up thinking it is correct. This is not a proportioning valve.

Just so we all know . .that is NOT a proportioning valve. It is a combination valve. If a disc/drum setup, it MIGHT have a proportioning valve built into it, although some vehicles still had the proportioning valve mounted outside. This is a huge misnomer passed around and around, so that everyone ends up thinking it is correct. This is not a proportioning valve.

Ford called it a "pressure differential valve", but had this to say about it in the 1980 factory shop manual:

"The pressure, differential, proportioning and metering valve are three different systems. (Figs. 4 and 5). There are three functions of the pressure differential valve: It delays full effectiveness of the front brake, it proportions pressure to the rear system, and it operates a warning system in case of malfunction. During heavy brake application, the proportioning valve reduces pressure to the rear brakes to avoid lock-up. The metering valve delays effectiveness of the front disc brake until the rear brake shoes are against the drum."

Ford called it a "pressure differential valve", but had this to say about it in the 1980 factory shop manual:

"The pressure, differential, proportioning and metering valve are three different systems. (Figs. 4 and 5). There are three functions of the pressure differential valve: It delays full effectiveness of the front brake, it proportions pressure to the rear system, and it operates a warning system in case of malfunction. During heavy brake application, the proportioning valve reduces pressure to the rear brakes to avoid lock-up. The metering valve delays effectiveness of the front disc brake until the rear brake shoes are against the drum."

The pressure differential valve is a part of the combination valve as well. It is it's own identity. It turns on the brake light when you loose pressure in one of the braking systems, primary or secondary. The differential in pressure, allows the shuttle to slide to one side making contact with the electrical contacts, turning on the light. The combination valve is called that . . for obvious reasons :) Before there were differential valves and proportioning valves in them, there were metering valves to keep a vehicle from dipping in the front when the brakes were first applied.

This was the original on my '83 Bronco:

https://supermotors.net/getfile/932180/thumbnail/propvlv83.jpg

It's still in the junkpile somewhere, and was working when I removed it.