Bullnose Forums

T170 TOD transmission 4 speed OD

PetesPonies

Just out of curiosity would a 4 speed manual E150 van have that transmission? I could go pull the doghouse and see what I can see... I know it is a 4 speed and pretty sure it was an overdrive. I know it has mechanical linkage. If a van transmission could work let me know and I will do a more detailed investigation.

Our page at Documentation/Driveline/Transmissions/Manual Transmissions and then the Applications tab has the full applications list from the MPC, meaning it includes the vans. So you can see what they used.

Pretty sure now it is the transmission you want. It is a top loaded, side shift linkage 3+O.D. I have only heard it referred to as a RUG transmission. Although, a quick google search says they are one in the same...

Let me know what you need to know.

From our Specifications/Transmission Codes page "B" is a 4-speed Clark with OD.

976540.thumb.jpg.5feb95b8d70942f711597ed513ece785.jpg

From our Specifications/Transmission Codes page "B" is a 4-speed Clark with OD.

What door code matches the transmission being requested?

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1021939-did-the-econoline-ever-come-with-a-manual-transmission-3.html

I went with this website to see it was a "RUG".

My transmission I believe to be the same exact transmission as in the linked post for a 1980 van...

And this site

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.hemmings.com/stories/article/ford-toploader-four-speed-transmission/amp

Showed that the T170 and RUG were the same I thought.

I suspect from reading here...

https://www.advanceadapters.com/tech-vault/3-ford-tc-overdive-transmission/

The transmissions are related, but not the same.

I wonder if the "truck RTS", the advanced adapters site shows, is what is being looked for if a shifter on top as described is required...

photo3.jpg.953e18507a43e03f7749e16eae3365c1.jpg

I have now spent quite a bit of time reading about not popular transmissions...

I do believe my trans to be an aluminum cases, top loades, side shifted transmission, 3+OD transmission. If there is any interest I will take the skid steer or forklift over and see if I can get it off the ground enough to see exactly what it is, take pictures, and hopefully find some id tag. Otherwise I will just leave it. I traded for the van just to get the manual pedals, column, and linkage. I figured I could convert the pedals for a hydraulic clutch master and run in the e350 van if I ever want to swap in a ZF and do a 4x4 conversion. Those parts are somewhat difficult to find. The extra parts like the saginaw, spare doors, bumpers, etc are just a bonus.

But I ramble on...

• 9 months later...

I have posted, looking for this trans, in several places. Not here, but I have been contacted a few times by someone saying they have a trans, but, no it's not what I'm looking for :) Really? Are we that dumb now? 435s, 3 speeds, all have been offered . . SMH.

I know it's been a while, but if you are still looking for the T170 4sp w/OD (the RTS TOD aluminum case version), I have a working and complete one that I'm pulling out of my 84 Bronco. Are you still looking?

• 1 month later...

I know it's been a while, but if you are still looking for the T170 4sp w/OD (the RTS TOD aluminum case version), I have a working and complete one that I'm pulling out of my 84 Bronco. Are you still looking?

im looking for a rts 4 speed do you still have it