Bullnose Forums

My 1986 F150 Beginings

Hamm0ckjames

Here's the location of the thermostat housing.

Kinda hard to tell, but I'm assuming it's a 351w...

One of the other guys on here might be able to eyeball it better...

I appreciate the help, I'll get a carb kit tomorrow and this week as time allows I'll try and get the engine serial number after a good bath. I think I read somewhere on line that it should also be stamped on one of the heads inside the valve cover? Ever heard of that?

I think I read somewhere on line that it should also be stamped on one of the heads inside the valve cover? Ever heard of that?

I don't know about the 351 serial number, but if there is one it won't be on the cylinder head. Maybe in the lifter valley or on the side of the block somewhere. The Windsor engines are a bit tough to nail down sometimes...you'll be able to identify what era it's from, but not necessarily what vehicle it is from. Same thing with the heads...Ford made those small blocks for three decades or so...so there are a lot of options.

You may very well have the original engine and somebody swapped a 2bbl intake on to it.

The 302 in my '84 had part of the VIN stamped on the back of the block, but as I understand it, this is pretty rare. Most of the time Ford did not stamp engines to match up with the vehicles.

Somebody changed the valve covers on yours obviously, but it looks pretty standard otherwise.

If you pop a valve cover off and see the stamped pedestal rockers, you'll at least know then that they are 1980's smog era heads, likely D8. The heads will have ID castings.

I think I read somewhere on line that it should also be stamped on one of the heads inside the valve cover? Ever heard of that?

I don't know about the 351 serial number, but if there is one it won't be on the cylinder head. Maybe in the lifter valley or on the side of the block somewhere. The Windsor engines are a bit tough to nail down sometimes...you'll be able to identify what era it's from, but not necessarily what vehicle it is from. Same thing with the heads...Ford made those small blocks for three decades or so...so there are a lot of options.

You may very well have the original engine and somebody swapped a 2bbl intake on to it.

The 302 in my '84 had part of the VIN stamped on the back of the block, but as I understand it, this is pretty rare. Most of the time Ford did not stamp engines to match up with the vehicles.

Somebody changed the valve covers on yours obviously, but it looks pretty standard otherwise.

If you pop a valve cover off and see the stamped pedestal rockers, you'll at least know then that they are 1980's smog era heads, likely D8. The heads will have ID castings.

Ok, sounds good. I will eventually put a 4bbl intake back on this if it is a 351w. If it's not, well I may just have to find one to put in it. But first I've got it get it running and fix some of the immediate problems, exhaust, wiring, wheels and tires. It's got 7.00 x 15's on it, all different treads and one leaking air. So it's going to be a long project, and thank you for the info, I appreciate it.