Bullnose Forums

Howdy from Northern New Mexico

Howdy Y'all

Thank you for letting me be a part of your forum. I just acquired a 1986 F150 4x4 and am looking forward to dedicating part of my monthly paycheck to her. I got her for a pretty good price, but she's in rough shape. Carburetor needs rebuilt, new wheels and tires, the bed is wrecked, overall condition is that of a ranch truck. She has a 5.8 ltr Windsor engine, but the odd thing is it has a 2bbl carb and intake manifold. Transmission is a C6, transfer case doesn't look too bad. Interior needs a lot of work, but she does run,,,, barely.

I plan on eventually building a flatbed for her and a 4" lift, might even do a body lift for the cab, don't know yet, that is far off in the future. Thanks again and I look forward to visiting with y'all.

Welcome! Nice truck. :nabble_smiley_good:

On the engine, while it has the HO air cleaner, which would have come on the engine w/a 4bbl carb, they did sell a 2bbl version in earlier years. But only the HO version in '86. So, as Bill suggested, perhaps the engine was swapped out?

As for "northern NM", where might that be? I ask because we have a member's map (Bullnose Forum/Member's Map on the menu) and I'd be happy to add you if I had a location.

Very nice looking! Someone may have either changed the intake or even the entire engine as the 351W is not a super uncommon engine in those years both as a truck and earlier car engine.

An engine swap is a possiblity, when I can get her running I will get her to the shop where I can power wash off some of the crud and get a positive ID on the motor. But so far it looks like a 351W, 6 valve cover bolts and the heads are about 3/8 taller than the intake manifold where they meet, and it has a C-6 bolted up. Plus it does have the exhaust crossover line on the back side of the heads. Those are the indicators as to why I think it might be a 351w. What do you think? I'm no expert and I'm always open to suggestions and ideas,,,,,,,

Welcome! Nice truck. :nabble_smiley_good:

On the engine, while it has the HO air cleaner, which would have come on the engine w/a 4bbl carb, they did sell a 2bbl version in earlier years. But only the HO version in '86. So, as Bill suggested, perhaps the engine was swapped out?

As for "northern NM", where might that be? I ask because we have a member's map (Bullnose Forum/Member's Map on the menu) and I'd be happy to add you if I had a location.

I work and live on the T.O. ranch, about 17 miles east of Raton. It's a pretty good sized ranch, my wife and I have worked here for 10 years now, we enjoy it..

Welcome aboard! Nice truck...dents and all!

I'd like to visit New Mexico one day. I know very little about the state, but it is one of only two that I have never stepped foot in (that, and Alaska). I bought a wrecked motorcycle one time in NH that had originally come from NM, so I still have the bright yellow NM plate hanging on the wall in my garage as a constant reminder that I need to visit;).