Bullnose Forums

My '83 Bronco

PetesPonies

Here's a close up of one end that I finished. It's actually very flat, just like i wanted. There is some unleveled areas obviously as you can see, but dealing with the thickness of the sheet metal, no need to try and get it smooth as you may go through. Welding naturally causes some shrinkage and if it is controlled, it can be good. Everything is below the level line, so a skim of filler after sealing the weld, will make it perfect.

And here's one I did today on the rear of that quarter panel for the Mustang.

rear_quarter_butt_weld.jpg.85bd631629610e264aedf1e8a2eca637.jpg

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's a close up of one end that I finished. It's actually very flat, just like i wanted. There is some unleveled areas obviously as you can see, but dealing with the thickness of the sheet metal, no need to try and get it smooth as you may go through. Welding naturally causes some shrinkage and if it is controlled, it can be good. Everything is below the level line, so a skim of filler after sealing the weld, will make it perfect.

Lookin' good Pete. I'll be doing some welding this winter myself...and maybe even body work if I get ambitious enough;).

I do it all the time. Its a good "something" to do where you can stand back afterwards and feel real proud.

Nice job Pete. Just out of curiosity, what brand and size wire are you using?

I have a little Lincoln Power Mig 140C and have used it for some light autobody work. I patched the floor and replaced the rocker panels a few years ago on a little diesel VW Beetle I had. I'm going to be using it to weld-in new cab corners on the old F150 soon. I have gas for it, and I think the smallest wire installed at the moment, .025 or whatever it is (I'm not home at the moment to check).

I do it all the time. Its a good "something" to do where you can stand back afterwards and feel real proud.

Nice job Pete. Just out of curiosity, what brand and size wire are you using?

I have a little Lincoln Power Mig 140C and have used it for some light autobody work. I patched the floor and replaced the rocker panels a few years ago on a little diesel VW Beetle I had. I'm going to be using it to weld-in new cab corners on the old F150 soon. I have gas for it, and I think the smallest wire installed at the moment, .025 or whatever it is (I'm not home at the moment to check).

I use .023 - .025 . .whichever is available. No difference. I never use .030. Brand . . . .again, no difference. Lately I buy at Harbor Freight. Their 10lb reel is the best price. I go through a fair amount of wire and have never noticed any difference.

• 2 weeks later...

Man, Pete! This is an awesome project!! I am working on getting things mechanically sound. Then maybe, just maybe I might start trying to teach myself body work. My Grandfather was a body & paint man for Ford for 40 years in the Weirton WV area, but my dad was not too interested so I only remember bits and pieces from when my grandad was alive and that was a loooooong time ago. However, you are right on the info. out there nowadays. I don't know what I would do without YouTube... I can't believe we learned all this stuff by just trial and error and bloody knuckles before! Kids nowadays... so spoiled... 😉

Keep up the great work and juggling the projects. I laughed out loud when I was reading you and Gary's exchange on finding/losing parts. I'm living that life as well. 😂

I will be checking in for updates regularly.

Man, Pete! This is an awesome project!! I am working on getting things mechanically sound. Then maybe, just maybe I might start trying to teach myself body work. My Grandfather was a body & paint man for Ford for 40 years in the Weirton WV area, but my dad was not too interested so I only remember bits and pieces from when my grandad was alive and that was a loooooong time ago. However, you are right on the info. out there nowadays. I don't know what I would do without YouTube... I can't believe we learned all this stuff by just trial and error and bloody knuckles before! Kids nowadays... so spoiled... 😉

Keep up the great work and juggling the projects. I laughed out loud when I was reading you and Gary's exchange on finding/losing parts. I'm living that life as well. 😂

I will be checking in for updates regularly.

Thanks. My only problem is I have a customer's '70 Mustang. I'm building an Esso Station for myself, on my property. I am building a motorcycle right now, for myself. I am building the '83 Bronco and an '83 Ranger, all at the same time :) So I bounce from one thing to one things, as time or interest prevails. But I am ALWAYS doing something.

Thanks. My only problem is I have a customer's '70 Mustang. I'm building an Esso Station for myself, on my property. I am building a motorcycle right now, for myself. I am building the '83 Bronco and an '83 Ranger, all at the same time :) So I bounce from one thing to one things, as time or interest prevails. But I am ALWAYS doing something.

Boy does that sound familiar! 😉