Bullnose Forums

My '83 Bronco

PetesPonies

Right side door finally painted and installed. Weatherstriping is installed as well. Need to install lock and inside door panels etc.

Looking good Pete!

I wish I could do body work. I really want to try painting my truck, but I'd probably make a mess of it.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking good Pete!

I wish I could do body work. I really want to try painting my truck, but I'd probably make a mess of it.

Well, lots of people have done decent work their first time out. Certainly there is enough material out there to keep you on the right path. Certainly I would help however I could.

My father would have said "I'm laughing to keep from crying." I can certainly relate to that.

A couple of days ago I went through my shop with a fine-toothed comb to find the 3rd 3G alternator I have. No dice. But, along the way I found lots of things I'd forgotten I have. :nabble_smiley_blush:

BINGO . . sometimes I just start opening boxes and bins and always am surprised LOL

• 2 months later...

Cool! But it looks like it'll be lots of work to fill all the holes. Remind me where the embossed panel came from?

Broncos did not have Ford letters, just smooth. As for the holes, you mean the spaces between the tack welds? If so . LOL. This is what I do. You want to get some spaced tacks to get panels fitted and flush. Then you come back and start putting more tacks, in between the others, until you have about 1/4" spaces. they you weld the 1/4" spaces. The key is keeping the heat down. Don't want to get the panel warped. Here's a Mustang I'm doing right now. It's a '70 Fastback. I'm replacing the right quarter, but keeping the ends of the panel original . .because repro metal sucks. So being that I do this all the time, welding that piece in the tailgate is a piece of cake :)quarter_cut_inner_done.jpg.624faeb9e9407622ddae0ce6df771a22.jpgquarter_tacked_far_shot.jpg.fb7c31226a12695f1acf6a711d78c3b1.jpgquarter_rear_tacks.jpg.770d8f791751121536bf758509f3ba6a.jpg

Broncos did not have Ford letters, just smooth. As for the holes, you mean the spaces between the tack welds? If so . LOL. This is what I do. You want to get some spaced tacks to get panels fitted and flush. Then you come back and start putting more tacks, in between the others, until you have about 1/4" spaces. they you weld the 1/4" spaces. The key is keeping the heat down. Don't want to get the panel warped. Here's a Mustang I'm doing right now. It's a '70 Fastback. I'm replacing the right quarter, but keeping the ends of the panel original . .because repro metal sucks. So being that I do this all the time, welding that piece in the tailgate is a piece of cake :)

Makes sense. Looks like really good work. :nabble_smiley_good:

Makes sense. Looks like really good work. :nabble_smiley_good:

Here's a close up of one end that I finished. It's actually very flat, just like i wanted. There is some unleveled areas obviously as you can see, but dealing with the thickness of the sheet metal, no need to try and get it smooth as you may go through. Welding naturally causes some shrinkage and if it is controlled, it can be good. Everything is below the level line, so a skim of filler after sealing the weld, will make it perfect.

tailgate_welding.jpg.4ce18c975fef0412267b8b1f7aa747ed.jpg