Bullnose Forums

81 interior hood lever mount

delco1946

So I finally got around to looking out why my hood release handle came à la cart with the truck, and it’s because the metal mount that the handle resides is damaged and actually appears to be broken. Rather than try to finagle something that will work poorly I would rather just buy a nice working one. It’s a locking handle from the security option, but like I said I have the locking handle piece I just need the metal mount that it slides into which I think would be universal for any early 80s truck. Currently I’ve just been using pliers to pull on the end of the metal cable in the mount to pop my hood but that’s feeling a little trashy ha ha. image334.jpg.5a0c92fe02b446877d2ebdccd20b64f7.jpg

Delco - Unfortunately the non-locking hood releases are made of plastic and don't have the same metal piece. And I have plans to use the one on the right below. But, I'm happy to send you the one on the left, that doesn't have a handle, if you can figure out how to use the plate on it to fix yours.

Otherwise I think you'll have to get another locking handle or downgrade to a non-locking one.

Hood_Release_Handle_Comparo.thumb.jpg.fceaa5cfab77e438e20300259de0806e.jpg

Delco - Unfortunately the non-locking hood releases are made of plastic and don't have the same metal piece. And I have plans to use the one on the right below. But, I'm happy to send you the one on the left, that doesn't have a handle, if you can figure out how to use the plate on it to fix yours.

Otherwise I think you'll have to get another locking handle or downgrade to a non-locking one.

Your best bet is to just downgrade to the basic handle. As cool as the locking handles are, yours is worthless without the top piece and used ones on Ebay go anywhere from $100-$300. They're really not worth that kind of money.

Your best bet is to just downgrade to the basic handle. As cool as the locking handles are, yours is worthless without the top piece and used ones on Ebay go anywhere from $100-$300. They're really not worth that kind of money.

This is listed for a "Ranger", but looks to be the part you are seeking?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1980-81-Ford-pickup-Ranger-locking-hood-release/372592417355?hash=item56c03d1a4b:g:TQcAAOSw0IBcW2e7

• 3 weeks later...

I found the outer shell/ holder piece for a few bucks at the JY! It’s a snug fit so I’m sand it a bit but it should work! I had never paid attn to what the plastic ones look like, I don’t like them nearly as much so I’m gonna find a way come hell or high water to make this one work! :nabble_smiley_happy:

I found the outer shell/ holder piece for a few bucks at the JY! It’s a snug fit so I’m sand it a bit but it should work! I had never paid attn to what the plastic ones look like, I don’t like them nearly as much so I’m gonna find a way come hell or high water to make this one work! :nabble_smiley_happy:

Cool! Glad you found one to fix that problem. :nabble_smiley_good:

Cool! Glad you found one to fix that problem. :nabble_smiley_good:

I repaired the one in my old truck using the non-locking version. If I remember correctly, I cut away the plastic on the non-locking version, and then cut and ground down the metal part of the handle until it was the approximate size of a ferrule. Drilling out the rivets on the locking model revealed a recess where the "ferrule" sat inside the handle. I put the ferrele in the recess and then joined the two halves together with small locking nuts and bolts and had a working locking hood release.

I repaired the one in my old truck using the non-locking version. If I remember correctly, I cut away the plastic on the non-locking version, and then cut and ground down the metal part of the handle until it was the approximate size of a ferrule. Drilling out the rivets on the locking model revealed a recess where the "ferrule" sat inside the handle. I put the ferrele in the recess and then joined the two halves together with small locking nuts and bolts and had a working locking hood release.

Took two days of on again off again sanding but I got it! It’s installed and operational. Got my stubbornness from my grandad lol.