Bullnose Forums

Rosewood Trim Panel Restoration Idea

Anything that isn't broken is fine, as I can refinish them as I want. I just would need the gauge and radio bezels.

The 85/86 weave bezels had a more slender edge bead than the 80-83 black weave or the 84 silver weave that had the chrome accent. It's a very minor difference but it's there. The 85/86 radio bezels changed to the DIN opening as well. I do not have any weave radio bezels at the moment but I am always looking at the pick n pull.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anything that isn't broken is fine, as I can refinish them as I want. I just would need the gauge and radio bezels.

The 85/86 weave bezels had a more slender edge bead than the 80-83 black weave or the 84 silver weave that had the chrome accent. It's a very minor difference but it's there. The 85/86 radio bezels changed to the DIN opening as well. I do not have any weave radio bezels at the moment but I am always looking at the pick n pull.

If you look, the radio in this '83 is DIN and it doesn't look altered. Maybe this bezel was already changed.

If you look, the radio in this '83 is DIN and it doesn't look altered. Maybe this bezel was already changed.

Someone cut that bezel to fit the aftermarket radio. Skill levels vary, and they might have done a clean job of it but there were no DIN radio bezels with that rosewood finish. 85/86 factory DIN bezels also had a bit of a raised frame around the opening.

Someone cut that bezel to fit the aftermarket radio. Skill levels vary, and they might have done a clean job of it but there were no DIN radio bezels with that rosewood finish. 85/86 factory DIN bezels also had a bit of a raised frame around the opening.

Right. The burlwood bezels came out in ‘85 and they were the first to have DIN-sized openings.

Right. The burlwood bezels came out in ‘85 and they were the first to have DIN-sized openings.

But the DIN is smaller than the typical old radio size. So when they are cut, it usually involves a filler piece added.

But the DIN is smaller than the typical old radio size. So when they are cut, it usually involves a filler piece added.

True.

The 85/86 DIN bezel I have is 2 1/4" high x 7 1/8" wide.

And the 80-84 bezel I have is 2 1/2" high x 4 3/16" wide.

So, what does your opening measure?

And, what numbers are embossed on the back? I have many of the numbers shown here: Interior/Instrument & Radio Bezels. Perhaps yours is shown there?

True.

The 85/86 DIN bezel I have is 2 1/4" high x 7 1/8" wide.

And the 80-84 bezel I have is 2 1/2" high x 4 3/16" wide.

So, what does your opening measure?

And, what numbers are embossed on the back? I have many of the numbers shown here: Interior/Instrument & Radio Bezels. Perhaps yours is shown there?

I haven't removed it yet for numbers. But when you say 2 1/2 versus 2 1/4, then thats only 1/8" on top and bottom. That could be possible. I'm used to seeing opening that are greater than 2 1/2 I believe. here's a closer pic.

radio_bezel.jpg.86e5d97b7ffa4db6e2875e9fe353b2a6.jpg

I haven't removed it yet for numbers. But when you say 2 1/2 versus 2 1/4, then thats only 1/8" on top and bottom. That could be possible. I'm used to seeing opening that are greater than 2 1/2 I believe. here's a closer pic.

Here's a pic from the Salvaging Rosewood how-to. Comparing to yours, I'd say someone cut the black part with the knob holes out.

image4_orig.thumb.jpg.5775670660f27ca4ee3c96ada4ee5865.jpg