Bullnose Forums

Rosewood Trim Panel Restoration Idea

Gary, NOS medium duty door trims would be the ticket. But I don't know if the brushed aluminum panel was a separate part number from the door card or if NumberDummy could check for them. That would be the ultimate, but I imagine service parts inventory on F600-F800 was never very much.

I do have some okay rosewood door trims to use as clones, and I am itching to try it. Unfortunately there are these nasty little things in life called "priorities" that take away the fun. But it will happen, as I am sure you have noticed by now I have quite the stubborn streak and I won't stop until I have a convincing substitute for the unobtanium trim parts. I think hydro dip is a great idea, but I still have not seen a pattern yet that grabs my interest.

For those of you that may not know what Gary and I are referring to, the medium heavy trucks with the Custom Cab trim level had brushed aluminum bezels and matching speaker cover door trims that the XLS never got. We want to reproduce them and add it to the XLS interior trim theme:

I had read somewhere that F150 XLS models never offered AC, so the trim panels didn't have vent openings, so the picture above threw me off.

Did I learn yet another new thing on this forum-the brushed aluminum was offered in larger Custom Cabs with AC?

The pics show that interior to really look sharp.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had read somewhere that F150 XLS models never offered AC, so the trim panels didn't have vent openings, so the picture above threw me off.

Did I learn yet another new thing on this forum-the brushed aluminum was offered in larger Custom Cabs with AC?

Yes, the medium-duty trucks had brushed-aluminum door panels and bezels. But I don't, yet, know the part numbers. Here's what I found in the 1980-89 parts catalog for the F600-900 trucks:

Door_Panel_Insert_-_F600_1980_on.thumb.jpg.7b4619b1f017dba0b20c231d064aed6a.jpg

And here's what the 1980-89 parts catalog for the light-duty, meaning F100+, trucks says:

Door_Panel_Insert_-_F100_1980_on.thumb.jpg.46ff80e5c6bde79d25502a073b20c81f.jpg

So, I'm headed to the shop to look at microfiche.......

Yes, the medium-duty trucks had brushed-aluminum door panels and bezels. But I don't, yet, know the part numbers. Here's what I found in the 1980-89 parts catalog for the F600-900 trucks:

And here's what the 1980-89 parts catalog for the light-duty, meaning F100+, trucks says:

So, I'm headed to the shop to look at microfiche.......

The 1987 version of the 1980 - 89 catalog for the F600 - 900 trucks has exactly the same result as shown above. :nabble_smiley_uh:

Not only that, it has exactly the same drawing as in the F100 - 300 truck catalog - except that all the numbers begin with "6" instead of "1". So, thinking about it, Ford hired lots of people to change all of the numbers on every page of the catalog? :nabble_anim_crazy:

Anyway, I can't imagine that the ones above are they as surely the only panel wasn't brushed-aluminum? Or, maybe it was as they might not have had inserts for the base trucks. Dunno.

The F150 XLS was offered both with and without AC. My NOS bezel is a light duty bezel with factory AC vents. I will agree than non-AC seemed to be more common, and many of the XLS with air had it dealer added. I have a XLS cruise control horn pad as well, not not all XLS were stripped base models.

The medium duty instrument bezels will ~not fit our trucks. The steering column opening is different.

Gary, did the medium duty parts catalogue have a diagram showing these door trim inserts?

IMG_6160.thumb.jpg.18451695475ef47bd2bffd9b6a131396.jpg

The reason I ask is they could potentially have had the chrome ring also. I just wanted to make sure those part numbers were indeed for the brushed aluminum speaker covers.

The F150 XLS was offered both with and without AC. My NOS bezel is a light duty bezel with factory AC vents. I will agree than non-AC seemed to be more common, and many of the XLS with air had it dealer added. I have a XLS cruise control horn pad as well, not not all XLS were stripped base models.

The medium duty instrument bezels will ~not fit our trucks. The steering column opening is different.

Gary, did the medium duty parts catalogue have a diagram showing these door trim inserts?

The reason I ask is they could potentially have had the chrome ring also. I just wanted to make sure those part numbers were indeed for the brushed aluminum speaker covers.

Reading this thread . . does anyone have interest in these pieces?

bronco_wood_1.jpg.7f295d562534b4d68a794a7717774e7d.jpg

bronco_wood_2.thumb.jpg.701e6943f67469379ab47d4fb63ddd11.jpg

Bronco_wood3.thumb.jpg.0bf6094d5d59f4656e414aa6902efc59.jpg

I don't want the wood and would be perfectly happy with black pieces to replace the gauge and radio. The door panels I will be using don't have the wood, so I don't need a replacement there. Obviously the drivers side is scratched from the window handle, but the other three pieces look pretty good.Thoughts or interest?

Here you go, Jonathan:

Door_Panel_-_F600_-_900.thumb.jpg.dabee669c3a9c5470f2e4a03aeb09688.jpg

I don't want the wood and would be perfectly happy with black pieces to replace the gauge and radio. The door panels I will be using don't have the wood, so I don't need a replacement there. Obviously the drivers side is scratched from the window handle, but the other three pieces look pretty good.Thoughts or interest?

I don't need them, at least now. But, the door panel piece might be useful if we can figure out the hydrodipping bit.

Here you go, Jonathan:

http://bullnose-enthusiasts.12971.n8.nabble.com/file/n3953/Door_Panel_-_F600_-_900.jpg

Perfect! Thank you Gary, 23864 clearly points to the speaker grille, not the chrome ring so those are the correct part numbers and they are separate from the door panels. 👍

I already have some door panels for cloning but please don't discard them. If nobody else is interested in them let me know what you want for them. I do not have any black bezels for trade, only a 85/86 style silver mesh weave instrument bezel. I can look for some in the junkyards but good ones are getting few and far between.

I already have some door panels for cloning but please don't discard them. If nobody else is interested in them let me know what you want for them. I do not have any black bezels for trade, only a 85/86 style silver mesh weave instrument bezel. I can look for some in the junkyards but good ones are getting few and far between.

Anything that isn't broken is fine, as I can refinish them as I want. I just would need the gauge and radio bezels.