Bullnose Forums

My timing chain adventure begins..

reamer

Intake Gasket was installed 4-5 years ago when I trashed the feedback 2-v and went with the Eddy 4-v and intake. That appears to still be dry.

Just remembered I have a regulator on the handle of my HPLV Gun, So I replaced the one rotted plug, cleaned and installed a new plug (with RTV). I'll let that set up over night and inject 10 psi tomorrow...

You might have to seal off a few other "leaks". But that will tell the tale. :nabble_smiley_good:

Intake Gasket was installed 4-5 years ago when I trashed the feedback 2-v and went with the Eddy 4-v and intake. That appears to still be dry.

Just remembered I have a regulator on the handle of my HPLV Gun, So I replaced the one rotted plug, cleaned and installed a new plug (with RTV). I'll let that set up over night and inject 10 psi tomorrow...

Curious to hear whats going on here. That must be the original '86 351 is it Ron? That 1pc rear main seal indicates after 1984 or so...

Curious to hear whats going on here. That must be the original '86 351 is it Ron? That 1pc rear main seal indicates after 1984 or so...

Original motor to the truck. Someone else has been in there... funky looking, wet oil pan gasket.

So I installed a new freeze plug on the one that ruptured, Did as Gary mentioned, Sealed off all water inputs/outputs, and injected 12psi into the water jacket. It sounded like inflating a balloon, then silence.

I disconnected the air hose and listened for any air leaks, Nice and quiet, no leaks in water jacket, no hisses from oil filler, PVC, or dipstick tube, no hissing around heads or intake, Ill have to take the engines word for it, that 1 pinhole HAD to be tossing all that coolant.

It took over 15 minutes to drop 2 psi, and I'm sticking to the theory of leaking out the hoses and radiator clamps to seal everything off. Then installed the rest on the plugs, Now I will retest....

I dipped the T-stat in boiling water, and it did not open...….even after 5 minutes and a re-dosing of boiling water.

I'll classify the water jacket as a "pass"

Next week I get the leak-down tester for the cylinders, If she passes, I'll install the new oil pan and valve cover gaskets, and paint it all in Ford grey.

I get to Save some huge cash VS a rebuild or a crate motor..

Since I love pain, (I guess) I also ripped out the NP 208 and handed it off to Terry's Transmissions, It is mechanically fine but it is the source of more fluid hitting the driveway than the engine is.

The ZF is dry, now the T-Case will be dry and hopefully the engine will be dry.... What ever will the wife complain about now?:nabble_smiley_happy:

Original motor to the truck. Someone else has been in there... funky looking, wet oil pan gasket.

So I installed a new freeze plug on the one that ruptured, Did as Gary mentioned, Sealed off all water inputs/outputs, and injected 12psi into the water jacket. It sounded like inflating a balloon, then silence.

I disconnected the air hose and listened for any air leaks, Nice and quiet, no leaks in water jacket, no hisses from oil filler, PVC, or dipstick tube, no hissing around heads or intake, Ill have to take the engines word for it, that 1 pinhole HAD to be tossing all that coolant.

It took over 15 minutes to drop 2 psi, and I'm sticking to the theory of leaking out the hoses and radiator clamps to seal everything off. Then installed the rest on the plugs, Now I will retest....

I dipped the T-stat in boiling water, and it did not open...….even after 5 minutes and a re-dosing of boiling water.

I'll classify the water jacket as a "pass"

Next week I get the leak-down tester for the cylinders, If she passes, I'll install the new oil pan and valve cover gaskets, and paint it all in Ford grey.

I get to Save some huge cash VS a rebuild or a crate motor..

Since I love pain, (I guess) I also ripped out the NP 208 and handed it off to Terry's Transmissions, It is mechanically fine but it is the source of more fluid hitting the driveway than the engine is.

The ZF is dry, now the T-Case will be dry and hopefully the engine will be dry.... What ever will the wife complain about now?:nabble_smiley_happy:

Man, if it held air pressure that long you are golden. But, are you going to replace the other core plugs while it is out? Or, wait for the leak-down test and then replace them if it passes that?

My NP208 is cracked at the bottom and seeps ATF. Could you tell where the leak was coming from?

All in all, several more layers off the onion. :nabble_smiley_good:

Man, if it held air pressure that long you are golden. But, are you going to replace the other core plugs while it is out? Or, wait for the leak-down test and then replace them if it passes that?

My NP208 is cracked at the bottom and seeps ATF. Could you tell where the leak was coming from?

All in all, several more layers off the onion. :nabble_smiley_good:

All plugs have been replaced, (not taking a chance)

Once it passes the leak-down, then its new gaskets, paint and "back to work":nabble_smiley_good:

T-case is leaking out the slip-yoke, where the 2 halves meet, and who know where else.

Terry will crack it open inspect and replace bearings forks chain, if needed, just needs a good "sealing up"

.... What ever will the wife complain about now?:nabble_smiley_happy:

lol. Well, there's always that potential '77 Bronco project, right?...:nabble_smiley_happy:

Mine was complaining yesterday because I went to look at an '81 CJ7 "project"...lol.

Ahh, yes, still looking for a '77, but even I agree, there's no need for a 15k price tag for something that "used to" be a Bronco, but closely resembles a rusted boat anchor….

Ahh, yes, still looking for a '77, but even I agree, there's no need for a 15k price tag for something that "used to" be a Bronco, but closely resembles a rusted boat anchor….

Got the leak down tester today..

Looks like she's good for another 100,000 miles....

Set the gauge to 75 psi, and results are:

#1 75 in, 60 sustained = 20% loss

#2 75 in, 67 sustained = 11% loss

#3 75 in, 62 sustained = 18% loss

#4 75 in, 68 sustained = 10% loss

#5 75 in, 63 sustained = 16% loss

#6 75 in, 60 sustained = 20% loss

#7 75 in, 66 sustained = 12% loss

#8 75 in, 69 sustained = 10% loss

A little high on the loss side, but not an oil burner, and leaving 60' of rubber with the Cat cut out, I think its good for a few more years...

Thoughts?

Got the leak down tester today..

Looks like she's good for another 100,000 miles....

Set the gauge to 75 psi, and results are:

#1 75 in, 60 sustained = 20% loss

#2 75 in, 67 sustained = 11% loss

#3 75 in, 62 sustained = 18% loss

#4 75 in, 68 sustained = 10% loss

#5 75 in, 63 sustained = 16% loss

#6 75 in, 60 sustained = 20% loss

#7 75 in, 66 sustained = 12% loss

#8 75 in, 69 sustained = 10% loss

A little high on the loss side, but not an oil burner, and leaving 60' of rubber with the Cat cut out, I think its good for a few more years...

Thoughts?

So, 10 - 20% loss. Sure beats Big Blue's 17 - 49% loss. :nabble_smiley_cry:

I think you are good to go. But, would do me a favor and try one cylinder at 100 psi? That's what I use and I'm curious of that changes the %.