Bullnose Forums

Sky's Offroad Design Super Duty RSK Install

The last picture wasn't there last night, yes, I recognize something, actually a number of things in that picture, the one you are most likely referencing would be the small two bolt access cover for the block plate with an automatic.

That's the one! Thanks again for that. It'll go on Dad's truck as soon as I find the right bolts and powder coat them.

Thanks! I'll report back in Dad's Truck Build thread later.

I now have everything but the SORD cross member painted or powder coated. Here are the spring hangers, shackles, and the spacers:

Front_Suspension_Components_PCd.thumb.jpg.d122f0c4b5dea502177cd7a483317edf.jpg

And here are the frame boxes. They've been blasted and then painted with a zinc-rich weld-through primer since they'll be welded into the inside of the frame to ensure they don't rattle. But before doing that I'll need to use the same paint on the inside of the frame.

Frame_Boxes_Painted.thumb.jpg.47b12ddf5e123f2db68fc05780e90a2a.jpg

I now have everything but the SORD cross member painted or powder coated. Here are the spring hangers, shackles, and the spacers:

And here are the frame boxes. They've been blasted and then painted with a zinc-rich weld-through primer since they'll be welded into the inside of the frame to ensure they don't rattle. But before doing that I'll need to use the same paint on the inside of the frame.

Got the frame boxes welded into the frame today. First, here's one of the welds. Sometimes you get lucky. :nabble_smiley_wink:

DS_Frame_Box_Weld.thumb.jpg.60d78ad741987f7578e01a5ad4c77675.jpg

And here are the boxes welded on. As previously said, I used a zinc-based weld-through primer before welding, and then touched it up afterward.

DS_Frame_Box_Welded_In.thumb.jpg.70d157a7196912fd77da794b2e556fb1.jpgPS_Frame_Box_Welded_In.thumb.jpg.18dbeccca8267f163a4a0c2bf0ea8ca2.jpg

Thanks! Hopefully tomorrow I can get the cross member powder coated and possibly some painting done on the frame. I have gray POR15, but I need to do some SERIOUS degreasing to ensure it adheres.

What a project!

I'm curious to see how much trouble others will have with this kit install. I wonder if there are frame measurements we could take to see if we'd have as many fitment issues as you seem to.

Very clean work, though. I'm impressed.

What a project!

I'm curious to see how much trouble others will have with this kit install. I wonder if there are frame measurements we could take to see if we'd have as many fitment issues as you seem to.

Very clean work, though. I'm impressed.

What measurements would you like? I just measured and the frame horns on Big Blue measure 39 3/4" outside/outside. And Dad's measures 40". If that's what your truck has then this should be easy. But in Big Blue's case the driver's side frame horn was bent out 1 1/8" and that caused all sorts of problems.

On a truck with a straight frame this should be a simple job, albeit with lots of work 'cause there needs to be rivets removed, new holes drilled, etc.

What measurements would you like? I just measured and the frame horns on Big Blue measure 39 3/4" outside/outside. And Dad's measures 40". If that's what your truck has then this should be easy. But in Big Blue's case the driver's side frame horn was bent out 1 1/8" and that caused all sorts of problems.

On a truck with a straight frame this should be a simple job, albeit with lots of work 'cause there needs to be rivets removed, new holes drilled, etc.

Today I cleaned, primed and painted the frame horns, the welded-in frame boxes, and the engine crossmember. (The latter isn't really part of the SORD project, but since it had been repaired by welding a patch in it needed to be painted as well.) Plus I primed/painted the bolt holes both in the frame horns as well as where the rear spring hangers bolt on.

I'd said I was going to use POR15 for this, but I realized today that there was a lot of paint left on and wasn't sure POR would adhere to that. Plus, there was essentially no rust, which it likes to bond to. So I just used rattle can primer and satin black paint.

Maybe tomorrow I can get the SORD crossmember powder coated and then I can start the installation of all the bits and pieces. :nabble_anim_jump:

Engine_Crossmember_and_Frame_Painted.thumb.jpg.543aeddf5f23f9dd785829ec6f20658b.jpg