Bullnose Forums

Using POR On Sheet Metal

The front, inner, top lip on the bed of my 85' F150 has started to develop more than just surface rust - but not bubbling rust. It's in a really tricky spot - up under the lip, right near where the bed and cab meet.

As it's not practical for me to take off the bed to get to it, I am thinking of carefully reaching in between the cab and the bed with a small brush, and putting some POR on it with a brush.

Is POR okay to use on sheet metal?

From many years of experience in restorations and more specifically rust, there is a much better product to use than POR. Think of POR as a brand that has gotten all the hype. But, not the best. YOu want to use Master Series Silver. If you want some details, please Google PetesPonies and Master Series. In some places you will find a lot of information.

From many years of experience in restorations and more specifically rust, there is a much better product to use than POR. Think of POR as a brand that has gotten all the hype. But, not the best. YOu want to use Master Series Silver. If you want some details, please Google PetesPonies and Master Series. In some places you will find a lot of information.

Indeed, thanks to Pete, I too am a "Rust-Tor-Ation" convert!

Ok, thanks everyone.

Pete - I'll take a look!

Just to add another product to the mix of suggestions, I have been using Ospho and have been pretty happy with it.

http://www.ospho.com/

I tried POR-15 and to be honest I didn't really like the stuff. I found it too runny to use on anything other than a flat horizontal surface. Don't get me wrong...the Ospho product is runny too...it just like water (or solvent), but it's not paint...and you can wipe off the excess, and then leave it alone as it is, or paint over it.

Just to add another product to the mix of suggestions, I have been using Ospho and have been pretty happy with it.

http://www.ospho.com/

I tried POR-15 and to be honest I didn't really like the stuff. I found it too runny to use on anything other than a flat horizontal surface. Don't get me wrong...the Ospho product is runny too...it just like water (or solvent), but it's not paint...and you can wipe off the excess, and then leave it alone as it is, or paint over it.

Ospho is phosphoric acid. I use this acid all the time, but not with a Ospho label. And, I use it in conjunction with Master Series. So it's not an either/or decision.