Bullnose Forum

Hydroboost brake conversion

Ok, I'm as thick as two planks, but humour me. You have the Mustang's plate off, right? Why wouldn't you just make a new plate?

Or, maybe I'm thinking how I'd do it given the machines I have. So, if you don't have the machinery to do that, perhaps that's why?

Using the existing plate would retain the angled mounting to hopefully help with the pedal pin alignment problem, I think🤔

Using the existing plate would retain the angled mounting to hopefully help with the pedal pin alignment problem, I think🤔

You might speak German: Jein. The angle will change where the linkage hits the pedal, but it won't change the lever arm.

In other words, the move of the pin was to change the amount of mechanical advantage as well as the amount of travel. Jonathan previously said:

A lot of F250/350 owners use their existing pedal with no complaints. If they later upgrade to the right pedal, the usual comment is that it has improved pedal feel. However, note that the F250 HD F350 vacuum pedal is different than the light duty vacuum pedal. The pin is higher. I do not know of anyone who has tried to use a half ton vacuum pedal with hydroboost, but I don’t think it would work well. I think the geometry with the rod is too different. The leverage would be even less, resulting in (probably) unacceptable pedal feel. If you can’t find a hydroboost pedal, I would at the very least try to find a HD vacuum pedal, or better yet find a machinist to move the pin. There is a guy on one of the diesel Facebook pages that offers that service.

And changing the angle of the booster does not address the mechanical advantage nor the amount of travel.

Or, did I misunderstand? Are you planning to move the pin?

You might speak German: Jein. The angle will change where the linkage hits the pedal, but it won't change the lever arm.

In other words, the move of the pin was to change the amount of mechanical advantage as well as the amount of travel. Jonathan previously said:

A lot of F250/350 owners use their existing pedal with no complaints. If they later upgrade to the right pedal, the usual comment is that it has improved pedal feel. However, note that the F250 HD F350 vacuum pedal is different than the light duty vacuum pedal. The pin is higher. I do not know of anyone who has tried to use a half ton vacuum pedal with hydroboost, but I don’t think it would work well. I think the geometry with the rod is too different. The leverage would be even less, resulting in (probably) unacceptable pedal feel. If you can’t find a hydroboost pedal, I would at the very least try to find a HD vacuum pedal, or better yet find a machinist to move the pin. There is a guy on one of the diesel Facebook pages that offers that service.

And changing the angle of the booster does not address the mechanical advantage nor the amount of travel.

Or, did I misunderstand? Are you planning to move the pin?

Ahh, I see. Yes I am anticipating having to move the pedal pin.

Alan

If you move the pin then you need to consider where the link will hit if you put a flat plate on.

Interesting write up:

https://classicbroncos.com/hydroboost_cobra.shtml

Mocked up my hydroboost set up today. I will need to make either a new mounting plate or adapt the mustang one I have. I could drill the firewall to suit but I want to keep it as is.

The pedal rod alignment to pin looks really good with the angled mounting bracket but the pedal rod is about an inch too short. I can either mod the existing rod or make an adjustable one to suit.

Alan

Interesting write up:

https://classicbroncos.com/hydroboost_cobra.shtml

Mocked up my hydroboost set up today. I will need to make either a new mounting plate or adapt the mustang one I have. I could drill the firewall to suit but I want to keep it as is.

The pedal rod alignment to pin looks really good with the angled mounting bracket but the pedal rod is about an inch too short. I can either mod the existing rod or make an adjustable one to suit.

Alan

First I tried mounting the plate by referencing the top mounting holes but this placed the hydroboost too low:20190811_140713.jpg.693907b24bdc82b19c3521842197be06.jpg

By using the lower right hole, it places the bracket much better. I just need to make an adapter plate to go between the two:

20190811_142146.jpg.d3fc1422bb6ecc96152d7c8840316937.jpg

I also had to file off the tab to allow the booster to orientate properly. I will weld on a new tab later. Sorry, the pics have rotated 90 degrees again😡

First I tried mounting the plate by referencing the top mounting holes but this placed the hydroboost too low:

By using the lower right hole, it places the bracket much better. I just need to make an adapter plate to go between the two:

I also had to file off the tab to allow the booster to orientate properly. I will weld on a new tab later. Sorry, the pics have rotated 90 degrees again😡

From the inside, the alignment is close but the push rod is too short, I'll make a longer one. The pic shows the booster at the lower position, it is much better when in the higher position.

20190811_140921.jpg.496fc6395601674169b709e51580643b.jpg

From the inside, the alignment is close but the push rod is too short, I'll make a longer one. The pic shows the booster at the lower position, it is much better when in the higher position.

Once the mounting bracket is done, I'll make a new push rod to suit using this spare:

20190811_192545.jpg.3677bd137f6d129835dc13416caa1166.jpg

Once the mounting bracket is done, I'll make a new push rod to suit using this spare:

That's a good writeup you found. Thanks!

And, you are making good progress. So you aren't going to move the pin? It looks like it is in a good spot for the rod, so you'll try it there? I hope it works well.

Keep on keeping on! :nabble_anim_jump:

That's a good writeup you found. Thanks!

And, you are making good progress. So you aren't going to move the pin? It looks like it is in a good spot for the rod, so you'll try it there? I hope it works well.

Keep on keeping on! :nabble_anim_jump:

Yes Gary, hoping to not have to move the pedal pin. Although I will if I find I have to👍.

Only thing that puzzles me on that write up, why he didnt orientate the mounting bracket vertically rather than horizontally. He wouldnt have needed to bend the pedal rod if he had!?!