Bullnose Forums

Running Board Opinions

Camano came with the 4 piece diamond tread running boards that I removed the rear set from as I didn't care for that look. I know I'll need some kind of step after the restore so just wanting to see what you guys are think/have/like.

I like the ones it had (not sure if they are deezee or not) so odds are and since I have them and the holes all line up, I'll put the front set back on after some cleaning but I'd like to see what other recommendations are.

At the jy there is a truck exactly like mine that has the same running boards (again no deezee label). Were these factory/dealer or just a common add on? I've also seen some at the jy (might have been broncos) that had the grip strip on them.

IMG_20190720_114253.jpg.8eaec88bf5c8aeb7f505c2b2b50ea406.jpg

Yes, they might be factory or dealer parts.

https://supermotors.net/getfile/1151648/thumbnail/runningboardsearly.jpg

Step tape probably won't work on diamond-plate.

Thanks for that diagram. Yeah, I didn't mean that I wanted to put the tape on mine but rather that I'd seen both and they looked similar enough to be factory. But the one with the tape had ridges going longways with at least one wider space for the tape. I am positive that was on a bronco now that I think about it.

I am not a fan of running boards. However, if they are necessary, I would go with Ford "Eddie Bauer" style steps that were found on the later 1995/1996 F150s:

My wife agrees with you. Normally I wouldn't put them on but with two little kids and the height of the 4x4 I think they will be needed.

I am on the fence with the Eddie Bauer ones. My hitch is that they look streamlined which is anti-everything else on the bullnoses. :nabble_smiley_beam:

Plus I think they might look a bit short on a supercab.

Appreciate the idea though.

..."Eddie Bauer" style steps that were found on the later 1995/1996 F150s...
I don't think they were specific to EBs - just optional on high-trim trucks (Broncos & all Fs), and part of the '94-97 EB package. But they're hard to find & expensive. The support tubes alone are $500/pr new, because all the originals rust out. I make non-tubular direct-replacement supports:

https://supermotors.net/getfile/885753/thumbnail/01stepinstalla.jpg

They WERE made for Broncos, std.cabs, and X-cabs. I've never seen them on a 4-door.

I don't think they were specific to EBs - just optional on high-trim trucks (Broncos & all Fs), and part of the '94-97 EB package. But they're hard to find & expensive. The support tubes alone are $500/pr new, because all the originals rust out. I make non-tubular direct-replacement supports:

They WERE made for Broncos, std.cabs, and X-cabs. I've never seen them on a 4-door.

With the supercab version having the longer back part it actually doesn't look near as bad as I'd imagined.

I have DeeZee boards on Darth, they were on the truck when I got him in 1994. I had to replace all of the supports as they had rusted pretty badly and the bed side sections were originally supported by a long brace to the inside on the wheel well. I was able to get new hardware from DeeZee.

Steve, your first picture of the factory optional running boards, that looks exactly like mine were, so maybe Ford got them made by DeeZee, mine actually have DeeZee on them so that was how I knew where to find parts.