Bullnose Forums

So let's talk about dealer A/C for a moment

Belt dressing couldn't hurt.
Ford & most belt mfrs. say NEVER to use belt dressing. Only mild soap (detergent, surfactant) and lots of water.

https://supermotors.net/getfile/1117500/thumbnail/170630_wash.jpg

Most of this caption applies to V-belts:

https://supermotors.net/getfile/285243/thumbnail/beltrouting.jpg

Dorsai, are the twin compressor belts a matched pair? Were they installed at the same time?

Dorsai, are the twin compressor belts a matched pair? Were they installed at the same time?

They’re each the same part number, and were put on together in 2012 or so...I’d certainly call them matched unless there’s something else to the definition.

They’re each the same part number, and were put on together in 2012 or so...I’d certainly call them matched unless there’s something else to the definition.

Belts can be purchased in factory matched pairs, for applications as this. I guess the tolerances are more closely matched. If one purchases the same part number in separate packages, one may be slightly longer.

Belts can be purchased in factory matched pairs, for applications as this. I guess the tolerances are more closely matched. If one purchases the same part number in separate packages, one may be slightly longer.

They’re not matched to that extent, no.

Maybe one has stretched to the point of chirping?

Maybe? Although by this point (~7 years on) surely the shorter of the two would have stretched to the length of the longer, and they'd be the same length by this point.

Maybe one has stretched to the point of chirping?

Maybe? Although by this point (~7 years on) surely the shorter of the two would have stretched to the length of the longer, and they'd be the same length by this point.

Matched pairs are important for applications like this. I'd swap belts long before I tear into a clutch or compressor.

Matched pairs are important for applications like this. I'd swap belts long before I tear into a clutch or compressor.

Agreed. I'm going to take a close look at the belts after a bit when I change out the starter.

But I'll admit, I'm not sold on the notion that lack of matching has anything to do with this. Maybe if they were new belts, sure. But seven years on? I bet they're identical now to the millimeter.

When I go back to NAPA to return my starter core, I'll ask that nice counter girl if she's got a matched pair. What's the worst that can happen? :nabble_head-rotfl-57x22_orig:

When I go back to NAPA to return my starter core, I'll ask that nice counter girl if she's got a matched pair. What's the worst that can happen? :nabble_head-rotfl-57x22_orig:

You could get slapped?

Agreed. I'm going to take a close look at the belts after a bit when I change out the starter.

But I'll admit, I'm not sold on the notion that lack of matching has anything to do with this. Maybe if they were new belts, sure. But seven years on? I bet they're identical now to the millimeter.

Please video that. I gotta see it. :nabble_anim_jump: