Bullnose Forums

Electrical Problem again

jdavidsmi

Completed, the test voltage was around 17.10, moving up down. About the same as when the regulator was plugged in. Looks like a another bad regulator.

I have rechecked the wiring to the alternator and it was correct. The wire from the bat terminal on the alternator, branches at two locations between the alternator and the starter relay, this wire pass the second branch, near the starter relay got very hot.

:nabble_smiley_sad:But everything has to be on hold for a week, We are heading up to Mass., for a family member's funereal.

David - Sorry for your loss. Travel safely. You are in my prayers.

Completed, the test voltage was around 17.10, moving up down. About the same as when the regulator was plugged in. Looks like a another bad regulator.

I have rechecked the wiring to the alternator and it was correct. The wire from the bat terminal on the alternator, branches at two locations between the alternator and the starter relay, this wire pass the second branch, near the starter relay got very hot.

:nabble_smiley_sad:But everything has to be on hold for a week, We are heading up to Mass., for a family member's funereal.

Yikes, be safe. Things pop up when you don't expect them. Glad you seemed to nail down the problem.

• 2 weeks later...

Yikes, be safe. Things pop up when you don't expect them. Glad you seemed to nail down the problem.

Thanks for the kind words and payers, got back home late Wednesday evening.

Got the voltage regulator replaced, yesterday and so far all is good. Voltage stayed around 14 volts while the truck was running. And 12.5 or so with the motor off. The dash amp meter always shows a discharge.

:nabble_anim_confused:But what is really a bummer is the key off short is back. Battery was dead this morning. So back to tracing wires and looking.

David

Got the voltage regulator replaced, yesterday and so far all is good. Voltage stayed around 14 volts while the truck was running. And 12.5 or so with the motor off. The dash amp meter always shows a discharge.

:nabble_anim_confused:But what is really a bummer is the key off short is back. Battery was dead this morning. So back to tracing wires and looking.

David

Unhook the alternator one night and see if the battery is still dead in the morning.

David

Glad you made it. And, glad the regulator is working. :nabble_smiley_good:

As for the key-off draw, pull the positive battery cable, put a trouble light from the positive post to the battery cable, and then pull all the fuses. The light should go out, indicating that whatever circuit is the problem is dead. Start replacing the fuses and when the light comes on you know which one it is.

Glad you made it. And, glad the regulator is working. :nabble_smiley_good:

As for the key-off draw, pull the positive battery cable, put a trouble light from the positive post to the battery cable, and then pull all the fuses. The light should go out, indicating that whatever circuit is the problem is dead. Start replacing the fuses and when the light comes on you know which one it is.

Saturday when I went to look for the key off short the battery was dead again. I put the charger on it and started working on other things. pinion seal replacement, rearview mirror replacement.

Once it warms up a bit I will attempt the short again.

David

Saturday when I went to look for the key off short the battery was dead again. I put the charger on it and started working on other things. pinion seal replacement, rearview mirror replacement.

Once it warms up a bit I will attempt the short again.

David

You might want to pull the positive cable to charge the battery.

You might want to pull the positive cable to charge the battery.

I taken the battery completely out, charged it up over the weekend, I'm taking the battery and the alternator down to the parts house and have them tested again. want to make sure I did not damage the battery with the overcharging from the bad regulator.

I taken the battery completely out, charged it up over the weekend, I'm taking the battery and the alternator down to the parts house and have them tested again. want to make sure I did not damage the battery with the overcharging from the bad regulator.

Good plan. Bad diodes could cause a drain, and you could blow diodes with the over-voltage problem.

You still didn't pull the alternator wire and let it sit over night to see if it was dead yet? right?