Bullnose Forums

1981 Freewheel flareside

• 1 year later...

Question for the Free Wheeling experts:

I see these trucks for sale from time to time, black with the gold pin stripes outlining the body panels. Was this one of the Free Wheeling packages? It does not have the black grill (or hood letters) but it does have the while wheels with black center caps...

https://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/cto/d/atlanta-f150-clear-title-1981/6804428009.html

Or was that just another trim package for any Ford pickup?

I see these trucks for sale from time to time, black with the gold pin stripes outlining the body panels. Was this one of the Free Wheeling packages? It does not have the black grill (or hood letters) but it does have the while wheels with black center caps...

https://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/cto/d/atlanta-f150-clear-title-1981/6804428009.html

I was thinking that it looked like this guy in the 1980 Free Wheeling brochure...

freewheeling.jpg.70ed39e7aab81ec1b1ee378065d3abd1.jpg

It has the fog lamp switch instrument bezel.

David - I missed that. In fact, I can't find it. Where did you see it? What did I miss?

It does look like that guy. But this excerpt from the 1981 brochure shows what is in the Free Wheelin' packages, and they would have included the black grille and headlight doors. I think it is just a Flareside with paint stripes, as shown here: Specifications/Tape Stripes. Probably a Type 6 or so.

Free_Wheeling_Package.thumb.jpg.ae303caa98bc1bf3ecaa447f0490151b.jpg

David - I missed that. In fact, I can't find it. Where did you see it? What did I miss?

It does look like that guy. But this excerpt from the 1981 brochure shows what is in the Free Wheelin' packages, and they would have included the black grille and headlight doors. I think it is just a Flareside with paint stripes, as shown here: Specifications/Tape Stripes. Probably a Type 6 or so.

Gary, look at the 2nd photo to the right of the wiper switch.

The white "wagon" wheels with black center caps would have been an upgrade over the standard hubcaps for 1980 and 1981 models.

The Argent (silver/gray) wheels and chrome center caps didn't show up until 1982.

In 1982, the XLS model would have received the Argent "wagon" wheels with black center caps.