Bullnose Forums

New to forum

Gary,

Sure that sounds interesting on the arduino project. I think you would use the arduino pwm output to drive a switching transistor such as a 2N2222 as the arduino would not be able to sink that amount of current directly (~400ma). Probably should put a reverse biased diode across the gage as it is an inductive load and will create voltage spikes when switched, the diode will permit a flywheel effect for the switched current.

The code should be pretty straight forward, simplest would be to use an array to do the conversion of analog input to pwm output. You could just drive an LCD display with the arduino and have it monitor other parameters too?

I thought this would be the right forum for what I was looking for and sure looks that way.

I had posted on oilburners.net that I was considering changing out the idi for a 4.9 but the suggestion was not met with much enthusiasm.

Thanks Gary

Nic55kel

No, the folks at oilburners are partial to their diesels and probably wouldn't appreciate the idea of swapping a gas engine in for a diesel. But if you don't like the diesel and have a donor truck with a good driveline and terminal rust, then why not.

On the Arduino, I've already written the sketch and run it on a simulator. It functions perfectly. And while the 2N2222 transistor would work well, I was wanting to use a shield that would handle that function w/o having to do much wiring.

And, I do plan to run a display with the Arduino. I intend to use a radio bezel from a medium-duty truck that has room for switches and a readout at the top. The switches will run things like the on-board air compressor, additional lighting, OX locker, etc. And the readout will provide info on battery voltage, air pressure, etc. And, it'll also be used if a parameter that is being monitored goes out of specs, like battery voltage, oil pressure, coolant temp, etc.

But I hadn't thought about the diode on the gauge. That's a good idea. :nabble_smiley_good:

Here's a shot of the radio bezel I intend to use:

Dennis_Carpenter_F600_Bezel_-_Marked_Up_.thumb.jpg.3f6b44c530128bd41bbe6fffde9f91f7.jpg

No, the folks at oilburners are partial to their diesels and probably wouldn't appreciate the idea of swapping a gas engine in for a diesel. But if you don't like the diesel and have a donor truck with a good driveline and terminal rust, then why not.

On the Arduino, I've already written the sketch and run it on a simulator. It functions perfectly. And while the 2N2222 transistor would work well, I was wanting to use a shield that would handle that function w/o having to do much wiring.

And, I do plan to run a display with the Arduino. I intend to use a radio bezel from a medium-duty truck that has room for switches and a readout at the top. The switches will run things like the on-board air compressor, additional lighting, OX locker, etc. And the readout will provide info on battery voltage, air pressure, etc. And, it'll also be used if a parameter that is being monitored goes out of specs, like battery voltage, oil pressure, coolant temp, etc.

But I hadn't thought about the diode on the gauge. That's a good idea. :nabble_smiley_good:

Here's a shot of the radio bezel I intend to use:

Sounds like you have most of it figured out already. I have now read that whole fuel gage thread and will respond there.

Thanks again for this great forum.

After reading the Darth Vader thread I don't expect the responses of "not worth it" or "too much work" that I was getting elsewhere.

Nic55kel

After reading the Darth Vader thread I don't expect the responses of "not worth it" or "too much work" that I was getting elsewhere.

Nic55kel

No, it isn't likely you'd get that response here. We try to help each other and may point out issues with their plans, but we don't usually poo poo them.

No, it isn't likely you'd get that response here. We try to help each other and may point out issues with their plans, but we don't usually poo poo them.

Pretty laid back bunch here with a "live and let live" attitude. There are a lot of Bullnoses being dragged out of fields and barns these days to be lovingly repaired, and they usually need A LOT of work. I don't mind admitting that I'm one of those guys that paid way too much for a truck that needed way too much work, so I'd have a hard time giving anybody else a hard time...lol.

And besides, trucks being "ugly" is trendy these days...lol, so that shouldn't be an issue either.

Pretty laid back bunch here with a "live and let live" attitude. There are a lot of Bullnoses being dragged out of fields and barns these days to be lovingly repaired, and they usually need A LOT of work. I don't mind admitting that I'm one of those guys that paid way too much for a truck that needed way too much work, so I'd have a hard time giving anybody else a hard time...lol.

And besides, trucks being "ugly" is trendy these days...lol, so that shouldn't be an issue either.

But we do like to give people contemplating transplanting a French heart into an American truck a hard time. :nabble_smiley_evil:

On dragging trucks out of fields/barns and restoring them, that's an expensive and time-consuming endeavor which is best used on trucks with sentimental value.