Bullnose Forums

Drum brake washer location question

I bought Raybestos cables on Amazon and they were -if anything- too tight.

BTW, a handy trick for removal is to force a box end down over the fingers from the inside.

With a little wiggling they usually come right out.

I bought a good brand, probably Raybestos, for Dad's truck and they fit tightly.

...installed new park-brake cables.
Brands, PNs, sources? All mine fit right, but I buy name-brands like Wagner.
I haven't worked on drum brakes in 20+ years in case you haven't noticed...lol.
I'm glad you can LOL about it. :nabble_smiley_good: But if you read that first caption I posted, and the NEXT dozen or so, you'll be able to put them back right, and have them work reliably for the life of the shoes (unless you go mudding).

...if you read that first caption I posted, and the NEXT dozen or so, you'll be able to put them back right, and have them work reliably for the life of the shoes (unless you go mudding).

Steve,

I have no problem LOLing at myself.:nabble_smiley_happy:

The park brake cables are from CarQuest...it's one of our local auto parts shops. It's a Canadian dealer only found in the eastern half of the country...or there abouts. Owned by Advance Auto in the USA, I think...

The rear brakes are already all reassembled now. I just have to connect the two rear cables to the single front cable, and I'll basically be ready for new brake fluid. Everything is new...calipers, pads, all new hard lines, flex lines, master, booster, etc. With only about 35,000 original miles on the truck, the rotors and drums were fine to re-use with a little clean up, NDB.

The truck is just an occasional weekender that might see 3000 miles per year, and definitely no mud, and likely not much rain...not intentionally at least.

Thanks for the help gentlemen,

JUst have to adjust the rear cables now, fill the system with fluid and bleed.