Bullnose Forums

Which Grille Do You Think Looks Better on My Truck?

[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

.....Would it look odd to see the F O R D letters stretched across the center of the hood (1980/1981 style), combined with the FORD letters closer together and on the right of the tailgate trim panel (1985/1986 style)?

Im a factory guy when it comes to emblems on these trucks. I am not a huge fan of debaging, and not a huge fan of moving emblems around. IMHO, the hood should stay bare, or with the FORD in factory location. Remember, the definition of beauty is symmetry.

Let me take this opportunity to say what a blessing it is that we have a forum such as this one, where we can discuss and debate and consider our vehicular customization choices. Not everyone who gets their hands on lettering has this opportunity, and as a result mistakes are often made:

IMG_0333.jpg.cab5b90339e319fb89d2b28a5b2c09aa.jpg

Let me take this opportunity to say what a blessing it is that we have a forum such as this one, where we can discuss and debate and consider our vehicular customization choices. Not everyone who gets their hands on lettering has this opportunity, and as a result mistakes are often made:

Here is another idea. Without the hood letters, this FORD nameplate might look pretty good on a 1980 grille:

s-l1600.jpg.57695403588a9adecfea345dcd81fd54.jpg

Here is another idea. Without the hood letters, this FORD nameplate might look pretty good on a 1980 grille:

Take a look at the 1983-1987 Ford Ranger grille. They carried the Ford oval off to one side and I never cared for the look. May give you an idea of how it will look.

Take a look at the 1983-1987 Ford Ranger grille. They carried the Ford oval off to one side and I never cared for the look. May give you an idea of how it will look.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1985-Ford-Ranger-Grill/173885971515?hash=item287c695c3b:g:3V4AAOSwUWtcTTgX

My first vehicle was a 1988 Ford Bronco II, and it had the grille with the smaller Ford oval to the side. I liked it and it preferred it over the later redesigned 1989/1990 grille with the Ford oval right in the middle. You could see more of the grille rather than a huge Ford emblem getting all of the attention.

It seemed that Ford was really into a simple FORD or MERCURY nameplate mounted off to the right side of the grille in the late 1970s and early 1980s - before the Ford oval became the new standard in 1982. I am starting to think the large Ford oval looks rather silly.

My first vehicle was a 1988 Ford Bronco II, and it had the grille with the smaller Ford oval to the side. I liked it and it preferred it over the later redesigned 1989/1990 grille with the Ford oval right in the middle. You could see more of the grille rather than a huge Ford emblem getting all of the attention.

It seemed that Ford was really into a simple FORD or MERCURY nameplate mounted off to the right side of the grille in the late 1970s and early 1980s - before the Ford oval became the new standard in 1982. I am starting to think the large Ford oval looks rather silly.

Beauty is subjective.

Rick,

Off topic question for ya since I know you know the trim and options on the Bullnoses very well...and you have an '85 with the small mirrors...

Have you ever seen an '85-up Bullnose with the black "paddle lock" mirrors as discussed over in this thread linked below:

http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/Black-outside-mirror-E3TZ-17682-D-NOS-td31805.html#a31922

Rick,

Off topic question for ya since I know you know the trim and options on the Bullnoses very well...and you have an '85 with the small mirrors...

Have you ever seen an '85-up Bullnose with the black "paddle lock" mirrors as discussed over in this thread linked below:

http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/Black-outside-mirror-E3TZ-17682-D-NOS-td31805.html#a31922

No, not in person. The 1985 Ford F-Series brochure shows a picture of them on the standard pickup. Note the E3 part number. I think those mirrors were originally intended for the compact Ranger that debuted in 1983.

My 1988 Ford Bronco II XLT had those black "paddle" style mirrors. They were small and compact, but they were very easy to knock out of adjustment. And you could fold these mirrors completely up to the body. That protected them if you went into an automatic carwash. The small chrome mirrors can't do that as well, and as a result are easily broken.

I don't *think* the [optional] small chrome mirrors were used after 1986.

No, not in person. The 1985 Ford F-Series brochure shows a picture of them on the standard pickup. Note the E3 part number. I think those mirrors were originally intended for the compact Ranger that debuted in 1983.

My 1988 Ford Bronco II XLT had those black "paddle" style mirrors. They were small and compact, but they were very easy to knock out of adjustment. And you could fold these mirrors completely up to the body. That protected them if you went into an automatic carwash. The small chrome mirrors can't do that as well, and as a result are easily broken.

I don't *think* the [optional] small chrome mirrors were used after 1986.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Ford-Right-Manual-Door-Mirror-F150-F250-F350-Bronco-Ranger-E3TZ-17682-D-/401679371569

https://www.amazon.com/Ford-Manual-Mirror-Bronco-E3TZ-17682-D/dp/B01ES8TO24