Bullnose Forums

Under hood light - good price

They're fairly common in JYs in 80s-90s Jeep Cherokees (without the Ford logo, and with a Jeep connector). But most of the used ones are missing the globe because the tiny retainer fingers break off; or because the rare bulb is replaced with a larger one that melts the globe. And it's common for the wire to get twisted or dirty, fouling the automatic rewind mechanism.

https://supermotors.net/getfile/71664/thumbnail/reellight1.jpg

So that's really a deal of a price for a NOS one. First thing I'd do is put an LED in it, though.

They're fairly common in JYs in 80s-90s Jeep Cherokees (without the Ford logo, and with a Jeep connector). But most of the used ones are missing the globe because the tiny retainer fingers break off; or because the rare bulb is replaced with a larger one that melts the globe. And it's common for the wire to get twisted or dirty, fouling the automatic rewind mechanism.

So that's really a deal of a price for a NOS one. First thing I'd do is put an LED in it, though.

Well, did anyone here get this one? I bid on it, but it went higher than I'd like to pay. Sold for $60 plus shipping.

Hey Steve - what led do you put in this one? I remember looking a few months ago but wasn't confident on which would fit. I was thinking the original was something like a GE 50 (could be way off).

Hey Steve - what led do you put in this one? I remember looking a few months ago but wasn't confident on which would fit. I was thinking the original was something like a GE 50 (could be way off).

Anything that you can fit. I wouldn't use the original bulb socket, except maybe as a mounting post. I'd pull the wiring up through the base (because it fits the reel, and has a useful magnet), solder it directly to the LED, and glue the LED to the socket or plastic base.

But I got mine before LEDs were common, so they have good original-type (described in that caption) bulbs in them. When those start burning out, I'll start looking for LEDs - maybe the one YOU recommend! :nabble_smiley_good:

Anything that you can fit. I wouldn't use the original bulb socket, except maybe as a mounting post. I'd pull the wiring up through the base (because it fits the reel, and has a useful magnet), solder it directly to the LED, and glue the LED to the socket or plastic base.

But I got mine before LEDs were common, so they have good original-type (described in that caption) bulbs in them. When those start burning out, I'll start looking for LEDs - maybe the one YOU recommend! :nabble_smiley_good:

Haha it may be awhile - ever since I had issues finding a direct fit led (socket and height) I've been pulling the bulbs when I find them in the jy so I should be good for a few years ;)