Bullnose Forum

Woodgrain repair kit [for ideas only]

Hi Perry, checking to see if you have any updates or how the community might help further?
Hello!  Honestly, I haven’t thought about this for a while.   I bought a few pieces from ebay to start with on the woodgrain and never really found a good match available.  Had started a conversation about how important an exact match was, and feedback varied.   While waiting fro vendor samples to come in, which never did, I tried a few times to have another member send some of the silver-like pieces for the same purpose but that conversation just ended and I didn’t want to be a pest about it.  Started to feel like a lot of work but not gaining much ground…

I’m building a mother-in-law apartment now onto our house and will take virtually all my free time through most of the summer.   Might try again when that slows up some, though I have projects piling up all around me.  

I appreciate you checking in.  I don’t even know where to look for the parts I bought but I’ll try to hunt them down and at least get an idea of what I still need to make a complete set in any of the patterns…I think I was close.   

Thanks,

Perry

From: SCFlareside [via Bullnose Enthusiasts] <redacted_email_address>

Sent: Thursday, May 21, 2020 2:07 PM

To: Perry Bush <redacted_email_address>

Subject: Re: Woodgrain repair kit [for idears only]

Hi Perry, checking to see if you have any updates or how the community might help further?

1985 Flareside 4x4, Silver, 302, AOD, BFG Mud 33x12.50s.  California truck with 140k original miles :)  (and slowly going up)

1977 F250 4x4 Highboy, Dec '76 production.  NP435 4 Speed, NP205, 4:10s.    Military 36.5s

If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:

http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/Woodgrain-repair-kit-for-ideas-only-tp30473p61856.html

To unsubscribe from Woodgrain repair kit [for ideas only], click here.

NAML

Hello!  Honestly, I haven’t thought about this for a while.   I bought a few pieces from ebay to start with on the woodgrain and never really found a good match available.  Had started a conversation about how important an exact match was, and feedback varied.   While waiting fro vendor samples to come in, which never did, I tried a few times to have another member send some of the silver-like pieces for the same purpose but that conversation just ended and I didn’t want to be a pest about it.  Started to feel like a lot of work but not gaining much ground…

I’m building a mother-in-law apartment now onto our house and will take virtually all my free time through most of the summer.   Might try again when that slows up some, though I have projects piling up all around me.  

I appreciate you checking in.  I don’t even know where to look for the parts I bought but I’ll try to hunt them down and at least get an idea of what I still need to make a complete set in any of the patterns…I think I was close.   

Thanks,

Perry

From: SCFlareside [via Bullnose Enthusiasts] <redacted_email_address>

Sent: Thursday, May 21, 2020 2:07 PM

To: Perry Bush <redacted_email_address>

Subject: Re: Woodgrain repair kit [for idears only]

1985 Flareside 4x4, Silver, 302, AOD, BFG Mud 33x12.50s.  California truck with 140k original miles :)  (and slowly going up)

1977 F250 4x4 Highboy, Dec '76 production.  NP435 4 Speed, NP205, 4:10s.    Military 36.5s

If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:

http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/Woodgrain-repair-kit-for-ideas-only-tp30473p61856.html

To unsubscribe from Woodgrain repair kit [for ideas only], click here.

NAML

Are you looking for a name other than Burlwood? Looking at http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/instrument--radio-bezels.html Ford called both Rosewood and Burlwood 'wood grain'.

Thanks for the reply! I think that (my opinion) close is better than nothing at all... if my truck had at least matching pieces, and they were close to original, noone but a true enthusiast would know the wiser

Also, if you did either the burlwood OR the rosewood it would be a start!

Not rushing you, best wishes on all that you're doing now. The community is out here, and you've found in my opinion the best site to tap for reasonable feedback and straight up folks

Regards,

Ken

Thanks for the reply! I think that (my opinion) close is better than nothing at all... if my truck had at least matching pieces, and they were close to original, noone but a true enthusiast would know the wiser

Also, if you did either the burlwood OR the rosewood it would be a start!

Not rushing you, best wishes on all that you're doing now. The community is out here, and you've found in my opinion the best site to tap for reasonable feedback and straight up folks

Regards,

Ken

Members & Perry what about the rosewood door panel inserts ? My question to members how are these panels attached ? As you know we have XL style door panels available but nothing for XLT, I for one have been wanting to convert my XL to XLT style interior but as you know I need the wood inserts for food panels and the chrome trim around panels. Members thoughts ? Perry able to cover panels with new material ?

Members & Perry what about the rosewood door panel inserts ? My question to members how are these panels attached ? As you know we have XL style door panels available but nothing for XLT, I for one have been wanting to convert my XL to XLT style interior but as you know I need the wood inserts for food panels and the chrome trim around panels. Members thoughts ? Perry able to cover panels with new material ?

I'll have to check, but can't until tomorrow. However, I think the panels are held on with tabs that bend over on the back side of the door panel. And I know the chrome trim is held on with a combo of tabs and sheetmetal nuts on studs.

So the Rosewood panels and the chrome trim can be added to your door panels. It'll take a bit of cutting and drilling, but it can be done.

I'll have to check, but can't until tomorrow. However, I think the panels are held on with tabs that bend over on the back side of the door panel. And I know the chrome trim is held on with a combo of tabs and sheetmetal nuts on studs.

So the Rosewood panels and the chrome trim can be added to your door panels. It'll take a bit of cutting and drilling, but it can be done.

Early panels were held on with bendable tabs, later plastic panels were held on with clips that press onto "studs" molded to the panel.

Chrome trim is exactly as Gary described.

Perry, when you do get the chance, I would also be interested on having you re do the wood grain on my dash panel. Dave found an NOS radio bezel and I bought it as my Bronco came with the larger radio cut out and only a single knob. I would like the dash to match the new wood grain on it.

Yes Gary keep me posted that is next thing on my to do list install chrome & rosewood panels

Yes Gary keep me posted that is next thing on my to do list install chrome & rosewood panels

Barry - Here are some pics that I hope will help. First, a door panel w/o any trim but showing the holes where the trims' tabs and fasteners go. The round holes take studs that get a nut pushed down over them, and the slots take a tab that gets bent over.

Door_Panel_without_Trim.thumb.jpg.9ea249c3c817bd5dbf3fc46aea8fd07f.jpg

And here's the chrome trim showing its tabs and studs:

Door_Panel_Chrome_Trim.thumb.jpg.ccf1df72d5ec029b916a84d7c97e6de7.jpg

And here's the best I could do on a Rosewood panel. It is the later 85/86 velour insert, but it fastens pretty much the way the Rosewood insert would.

Door_Panel_Trim_Tabs.thumb.jpg.7c70ccf221432125280378b091f90ffc.jpg