Bullnose Forums

1985 upper side molding

That is the right part number for what is described, although in the master parts catalog it is called 1985/86 F150/350 -- REGULAR CAB BODY MOULDINGS - SIDE, PRESSURE SENSITIVE. Having said that, I'm not so sure it was really used on the '86 trucks. Here's what I've been able to put together, as shown on the Bullnose FAQ's page:

Trim: Early 1985 trucks had an upper body molding option that appears to have been used on only a few trucks and may have been discontinued for late 1985 trucks, as described in this thread on FTE, and pictured on the Upper Moulding/Regular Cab tab on my Exterior Trim & Moulding page. The latest usage I'm aware of is the 1985 F150 Survivor, which was built in 5/85 at the Ontario plant.

Rick/Fonzi did much of he detective work as he has that trim on his early-85 truck. And he spotted that the truck on the cover of the early '85 brochure has that trim and that it shows as an option in the brochure. But the late '85 brochure doesn't have the trim on the truck on the cover and doesn't show it as an option.

That is the right part number for what is described, although in the master parts catalog it is called 1985/86 F150/350 -- REGULAR CAB BODY MOULDINGS - SIDE, PRESSURE SENSITIVE. Having said that, I'm not so sure it was really used on the '86 trucks. Here's what I've been able to put together, as shown on the Bullnose FAQ's page:

Trim: Early 1985 trucks had an upper body molding option that appears to have been used on only a few trucks and may have been discontinued for late 1985 trucks, as described in this thread on FTE, and pictured on the Upper Moulding/Regular Cab tab on my Exterior Trim & Moulding page. The latest usage I'm aware of is the 1985 F150 Survivor, which was built in 5/85 at the Ontario plant.

Rick/Fonzi did much of he detective work as he has that trim on his early-85 truck. And he spotted that the truck on the cover of the early '85 brochure has that trim and that it shows as an option in the brochure. But the late '85 brochure doesn't have the trim on the truck on the cover and doesn't show it as an option.

Gary, there are a number of Facebook guys who say they have this trim on their 1986 trucks and I'm almost positive the truck I got your core support from was a 1986 and had it. If the truck is still in the yard I will verify it and take pictures next time I go.

Gary, there are a number of Facebook guys who say they have this trim on their 1986 trucks and I'm almost positive the truck I got your core support from was a 1986 and had it. If the truck is still in the yard I will verify it and take pictures next time I go.

Good to know. If it is there maybe you can get a pic of the certification label?

So, we have a mystery. Ford went to some lengths to remove the trim from the cover as well as the listing of options of the 1985 brochure. But they continued to provide it? Apparently it was still on the order form. Interesting.

Anyway, I’d like to edit the statement re that trim in the Bullnose FAQ’s if it is wrong. Thanks!

If anyone has the trim for sale... I need a full set!

If anyone has the trim for sale... I need a full set!

You can find the part numbers on the page under Exterior/Exterior Trim & Moulding: http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/exterior-trim-and-moulding.html. And then you can go shopping. But Rick says almost all of it is gone by now.

I’ll include the page here just to ensure you understand that there were actually two kinds of pressure sensitive trim. The upper one show on that page come in a roll and was cut to fit. The lower one, which you appear to have, came already cut to fit. And it is easy to tell the difference as yours is cut out around the keyhole on the door.

8FD0151D-64C7-4FC5-A49C-6ECF37562A6C.thumb.png.b51528abe0dcc2e533a805c398040c22.png

I would like to see that, because I have NEVER seen a 1986 truck with the "pressure sensitive" upper moldings.

Like Gary said, that style of trim molding was completely erased from the later 1985 Ford F-Series brochure. Completely. Ford eliminated all verbiage concerning that trim and went through the trouble of digitally removing that trim in every. single. picture that the "new for 1985" upper trim molding was featured on in the earlier 1985 F-Series brochure.

That was not easy nor cheap to do in 1985.

I have the 1986 F-Series brochure as well, and there is no mention of it whatsoever.

I work in the furniture business, and a furniture manufacturer's building recently caught fire and burned to the ground that supplied a particular collection that my store offered. Since the building was destroyed, that collection has been prematurely and completely dropped. I wonder if something similar happened to Ford with the "new for 1985" trim molding?

A mystery indeed.

You can find the part numbers on the page under Exterior/Exterior Trim & Moulding: http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/exterior-trim-and-moulding.html. And then you can go shopping. But Rick says almost all of it is gone by now.

I’ll include the page here just to ensure you understand that there were actually two kinds of pressure sensitive trim. The upper one show on that page come in a roll and was cut to fit. The lower one, which you appear to have, came already cut to fit. And it is easy to tell the difference as yours is cut out around the keyhole on the door.

Gary, I decided to take a run to the prescott yard today, and the truck that your core support came from is gone... *however*...

1) There was a 1986 truck there with the molding. Unfortunately the certification label had been removed, but I photographed the VIN plate and the 10th digit is "G" which is the 1986 model year. We don't know the manufactur date but by the VIN it's an '86...

IMG_6021.jpg.1a2828318019eacd18543913c6b9ef75.jpg

IMG_6022.jpg.03b4861c31415322ce6bdb9aa3ef8d04.jpg

IMG_6023.jpg.5ac4e27e4f441d8085fa9e44c3387d18.jpg

2) Although the core support truck is gone, I did have a batch of certification label pictures that I took because we were trying to figure out when Ford added the spring code (?) or something like that? Maybe you will remember. All I know is I photographed all the bullnose certification labels I could find, and there is only one truck label from the Prescott yard that had white paint 133" wb and manual trans, so this has to be it. Sorry, no body molding picture proof to go with it but I really remember it being odd for having the XLT molding while lacking AC and having a rubber floor and other plain Jane options:

IMG_5338.jpg.771f60db0c91b7b058836d0cc0405834.jpg

Gary, I decided to take a run to the prescott yard today, and the truck that your core support came from is gone... *however*...

1) There was a 1986 truck there with the molding. Unfortunately the certification label had been removed, but I photographed the VIN plate and the 10th digit is "G" which is the 1986 model year. We don't know the manufactur date but by the VIN it's an '86...

2) Although the core support truck is gone, I did have a batch of certification label pictures that I took because we were trying to figure out when Ford added the spring code (?) or something like that? Maybe you will remember. All I know is I photographed all the bullnose certification labels I could find, and there is only one truck label from the Prescott yard that had white paint 133" wb and manual trans, so this has to be it. Sorry, no body molding picture proof to go with it but I really remember it being odd for having the XLT molding while lacking AC and having a rubber floor and other plain Jane options:

Jonathan - That’s good enough for me. Looks like that trim was used in ‘86, and the shot with the cutout for the door key is proof that’s the trim we have been talking about. I’ll update the FAQ’s tomorrow. Thanks!

Jonathan - That’s good enough for me. Looks like that trim was used in ‘86, and the shot with the cutout for the door key is proof that’s the trim we have been talking about. I’ll update the FAQ’s tomorrow. Thanks!

Amazing. I am surprised at you, Gary.

You are fully aware that Ford went through some trouble and expense to change their 1985 sales brochures mid-year to completely remove that trim molding, AND it was no where to be found in the 1986 brochure.

You have been a member of FTE for how many years now? I think I can speak for both of us when I say that very few 1985 trucks have come through FTE over the years had that earlier style molding. And how many 1986 trucks have you seen at FTE that had that molding? I have been a member there a few years longer than you have and I have seen exactly ZERO. How many 1986 trucks have you ever seen in person that had it? I have seen ZERO, and there are still plenty of these trucks on the road and in the junk yards here in the South East.

As you know, there are countless examples of base level trucks "dressed up" with dealer-installed accessories such as air conditioning, stripes, and wheel well trim. Some even had complete trim packages that were region and dealer specific. "Gold" and "Texas Lariat" editions come to mind.

Tell me, how hard would it have been for a dealer or a previous owner to "dress up" an XL trim level truck with the pressure sensitive [stick on] molding?

But some one comes up with *one* example of a 1986 model - a low-level XL model with rubber floors, no A/C, and a manual transmission - that has it, and you immediately say that is "good enough" to change your mind and your website? :nabble_anim_confused: