Bullnose Forums

Moog steering damper fitment.

Does anyone have a Moog steering damper fitted to a 4x4 F150? I have mocked mine up ready to fit but not sure if it looks right!?!

Mine isn't moog, but its the factory damper....I think. I will see if I can dig up a photo for you.

That would be great, thanks RayπŸ‘πŸ˜

Alan

That would be great, thanks RayπŸ‘πŸ˜

Alan

Didn't get to take a pic last night. I spent 2 hours in traffic for a 25 minute commute. By the time I got home and did my chores, I was beat and forgot all about it. I will tonight.

I can tell you, mine is not connected to the frame at all. One end is connect to the drag link, and the other is connected to a bracket on the differential. You can sort of see it in this picture, but I will get a clear pic tonight for you.

20190602_182951.jpg.3e65fdbfef21c8b6efb15244b6c1c3a8.jpg

I misspoke earlier, its connected to the cross member near the differential, and the drag link. Sorry for delay. Its been a long day.

Thanks for the pic RayπŸ‘

Thats another way of mounting the damper I wasnt aware of.

IIRC that’s how mine was mounted when I took it off.

I was looking at the catalog this morning and at first blush it looked like the only Bullnose trucks that got a steering damper from the factory were F350’s. But it came time to head out for a family reunion and I didn’t get to the bottom of that.

Maybe I can when I get home tonight, and will post what I find as well as create a new page, or tab in an existing page, to document it.

I was looking at the catalog this morning and at first blush it looked like the only Bullnose trucks that got a steering damper from the factory were F350’s. But it came time to head out for a family reunion and I didn’t get to the bottom of that.

Maybe I can when I get home tonight, and will post what I find as well as create a new page, or tab in an existing page, to document it.

Gary, mine may be aftermarket or factory. I really do not know.

Gary, mine may be aftermarket or factory. I really do not know.

Ok, here's what I find in the catalog. But, I'm not ready to create a page for this info as I don't fully understand it. So, perhaps y'all can help me?

First, here's the only illustration in the whole catalog that includes the numbers 3E651, which is the steering damper, and 3E652, which is the bracket. That would seem to suggest that only the 1988 and later stripped chassis trucks got the damper.

Steering_Damper_-_1988_on_Stripped_Chassis.thumb.jpg.c9de0e9f0ed62b2ed6846e838f56bc83.jpg

However, here are the entries in the catalog's text section for those two numbers. Note that the kit first appeared in 1987, and only F350's and Super Duties got them.

But wait! There's more! The 3E562 listing suggests that there was a steering shock absorber on the 1980 and later F350 4WD trucks that didn't require a bracket. However, there is no other mention of a shock absorber or damper for steering in the whole catalog.

I'm confused. :nabble_anim_confused: But at the least I think it is safe to say that nothing shy of an F350 had a factory-supplied steering damper.

Header.thumb.jpg.b40bfb9ef1e4b3e135e1ad5f4f5fd6e0.jpg3E651_Steering_Damper_Kit_-_1.thumb.jpg.248ca6bbd4a9efe0df0dcc13c2b5f551.jpg3E651_Steering_Damper_Kit_-_2.thumb.jpg.93e07fae3246aa1e37fdf629be1fdc6d.jpg

Ok, here's what I find in the catalog. But, I'm not ready to create a page for this info as I don't fully understand it. So, perhaps y'all can help me?

First, here's the only illustration in the whole catalog that includes the numbers 3E651, which is the steering damper, and 3E652, which is the bracket. That would seem to suggest that only the 1988 and later stripped chassis trucks got the damper.

However, here are the entries in the catalog's text section for those two numbers. Note that the kit first appeared in 1987, and only F350's and Super Duties got them.

But wait! There's more! The 3E562 listing suggests that there was a steering shock absorber on the 1980 and later F350 4WD trucks that didn't require a bracket. However, there is no other mention of a shock absorber or damper for steering in the whole catalog.

I'm confused. :nabble_anim_confused: But at the least I think it is safe to say that nothing shy of an F350 had a factory-supplied steering damper.

Gary, the 87 bronco has a steering damper, and dual front shocks. I dont know. But just because the catalogue doesnt have it, doesnt mean it couldnt be ordered. I guess, I dunno.

:nabble_anim_confused: