Bullnose Forums

About a reliable ignition coil

Johns3524

Glad you got the problem solved, and good advice on carrying tools and critical spares. I am becoming a fan of grabbing clean used motorcraft parts at the junkyard over new aftermarket units from the parts houses. Too many times a brand new part has had a problem right out of the box or failed within months. A warranty is meaningless when you are broken down and stranded on the side of the road.

Good for you on the spare parts. I can tell I’m going to want to find another spare coil or two. I can put in a points diz in a pinch, but I have to admit I don’t luv changing a distrib on this six...pretty much have to climb inside. I was a telling my wife if we just had this six in a t-bucket it would be easier to work on. That’s out the question.

Yes, they are a popular swap into the VW. My nephew was working on one. Apparently they rotate backwards to the VW engine so the ring gear has to be flipped. And the radiator takes up the whole front end.

Anyway, we have a 2001 and it has 150K on the clock. Have had it since new and it has been a good vehicle. Some prob's, but none big.

I’ll have to take a closer look at those boxer Subaru motors. I assume they have the same firing order as a corvair. My wife might like the different body styles...thanks for the nudge.

They have both 4 and 6 cylinder engines, depending on the vehicle.

I guess I’m really out of touch...I’ll have to look into that...it’s probably a moot point for though. I am committed to carb fed motor if I can help it for the rest of my driving days. I know fuel injection is great, and I’ve had my diesels..it’s just a choice...

• 2 weeks later...

An update:

After installing my new coil, I embarked on 30 mile round-trip journey. About halfway thru the outbound, the engine began to miss, and buck..etc.but would run at idle at low speed and so I ventured on. Getting to my destination, I switched out the spark box to the new motorcraft unit to see how it ran. It was better, but still had a misfire at about 1500 rpms and up. Upon returning home, I installed my old, greasy black junkyard canister coil, and it has been running great ever since. I did return the blue coil to the parts house and took in exchange another one...who knows maybe it would be a good spare.

So now I’m running an older coil, new motorcraft spark box, and it hasn’t missed a beat. So..best wishes to all who have fun working on what we drive. The answer, carry tools, spare parts, hand cleaner etc.

I feel I should update this thread. Over the past few days my “mis fire” has begun again. I decided I would go to the next level and replace my plug wires. The set of Beldens had only been there for about 10 k miles but it was a symptom I wanted to check.

After installing a new set of Motorcraft 8mm wires..it hasn’t missed a beat. I have a feeling my coil problem may have been the wires all along. After looking at the rotor and cap the wires must have broken down and caused fire to jump here and there. I’ve never seen “new” plug wires fail like this.

I guess I will add new plug wires to my spare parts carry kit....

Have a great holiday everyone.F2B5874C-39BB-4871-9AA9-1D2C62D928C2.jpeg.1530911c196ec1c4fde98f8f9fc2ae31.jpeg

197C0D29-1CA5-4DFD-B74A-69069DAD8726.jpeg.cfe04ec270e3bbbf911a5597df237584.jpeg

I feel I should update this thread. Over the past few days my “mis fire” has begun again. I decided I would go to the next level and replace my plug wires. The set of Beldens had only been there for about 10 k miles but it was a symptom I wanted to check.

After installing a new set of Motorcraft 8mm wires..it hasn’t missed a beat. I have a feeling my coil problem may have been the wires all along. After looking at the rotor and cap the wires must have broken down and caused fire to jump here and there. I’ve never seen “new” plug wires fail like this.

Have a great holiday everyone.

That’s not very good life from plug wires. Glad you found the problem. But for spares, could you carry one known-good long wire?

Yes, they are a popular swap into the VW. My nephew was working on one. Apparently they rotate backwards to the VW engine so the ring gear has to be flipped. And the radiator takes up the whole front end.

Anyway, we have a 2001 and it has 150K on the clock. Have had it since new and it has been a good vehicle. Some prob's, but none big.

They do rotate backwards to the VW engine, and loo like they rotate backwards to everything, but if you look at the rotation of most engines they are clockwise viewed from the front, or counterclockwise viewed from the rear which is exactly how a Corvair engine rotates. It allowed Chevrolet to use some components that were the same as the RWD cars and some of the same machine tools like the hypoid gear tools. As a result, the 1966-69 models used Saginaw 3 and 4 speed transmissions.

As for a radiator, for a Corvair, damn hard piece to find!

Have a great holiday everyone.

That is pretty disappointing, Belden wires used to be some of the best you could buy. I put Motorcraft on my truck and Taurus as they are the only "exact fit" ones available (Gary, wait till you go get plug wires for Big Blue).