Bullnose Forums

Is there a way to test the Duraspark modules?

Coming home today from a truck show, Ran great getting there, but when driving home, I got about 1 mile from the show and suffered a complete ignition shut down. No spitting, no sputtering, no loss O' power. just driving then dead. Pulled to the side of the road, And all she did was crank, crank, crank. All electrical worked. Luckily, Stupid me, years back installed a Duraspark Ignition module "sandwich" under the hood. (one on top of another).Unplug wires from No1. module, plug in to #2 module. Fired right up and on my way.....:nabble_anim_blbl: Is there a test protocol to check the "dead" module?

Thanks

Reamer

Yes, there are two ways to do that. The high-tech way takes the tester that Bill and I have. But the low-tech way is as explained on pages 34 & 35 here: http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/start--ignition-gasoline-engines.html, which is from the 1985 EVTM.

However, you effectively did test it. It doesn't work and the other one does, so it is bad. :nabble_smiley_good:

I don't had a DS tester, I gave it to you in trade for the MAC scope.

I knew that's where I got it, but assumed you still had one.

No, I just no longer really had a use for it since Darth and the Taurus are TFI systems, Flex is COP, and It does me no good on a Chrysler system as theirs is in the engine electronics, either the power module (1981-87, SMEC power board (1988-89) or the SBEC/SBEC2 (1990-?) the last varies depending on vehicle and powertrain options.

No, I just no longer really had a use for it since Darth and the Taurus are TFI systems, Flex is COP, and It does me no good on a Chrysler system as theirs is in the engine electronics, either the power module (1981-87, SMEC power board (1988-89) or the SBEC/SBEC2 (1990-?) the last varies depending on vehicle and powertrain options.

I won’t have a need for it soon, but I like having it. Besides, who knows what I might buy. 😉