Bullnose Forums

Stopped...The begining of new "machine shop" on back of garage

reamer

After 20 years of applying for the "OK" from the Administrator of Sex and Finance, she finally approved my 12' x 36' addition on the back of the garage!

Will have a cement floor, 2 openings into the existing garage 10' wide and 9' high. old floor and new floor will be flush.

1300 lbs hoist, 20 ton press, 37" metal shear, stand-alone drill press, table saw, and 80" home-made brake.

(the brake was made for making the Flareside diamond plate bed rails.)

Plasma cutter, welder oxy torch.

Alarm system, Dog, and M-1 Garand for security.....

Photo of tearing off the old lean-to.

Yippee!!!!! Congratulations!!! :nabble_anim_jump:

I gather the work has started, although the pic of tearing off the old lean-to is a bit over-exposed, so I'll have to take your word for it. :nabble_anim_confused:

And, you appear to have a very good set of tools/equipment to move into it.

By the way, David/1986F150Six asked me the other day what you are asking for the speaker patch. I don't know, so care to share?

And, are you making them or is Shapeways?

Yippee!!!!! Congratulations!!! :nabble_anim_jump:

I gather the work has started, although the pic of tearing off the old lean-to is a bit over-exposed, so I'll have to take your word for it. :nabble_anim_confused:

And, you appear to have a very good set of tools/equipment to move into it.

By the way, David/1986F150Six asked me the other day what you are asking for the speaker patch. I don't know, so care to share?

And, are you making them or is Shapeways?

The photo would not load, just sat in La-La land...

I may have a speaker grille available, I'll look....

After 20 years of applying for the "OK" from the Administrator of Sex and Finance, she finally approved my 12' x 36' addition on the back of the garage!

Administrator of Sex and Finance...lol. Well done Ron!

I started getting estimates to dig the foundation, Needs to go 56" lower that existing cement wall height, (for footing)

Estimate 1 was $1000.

Estimate 2 was $140.00 per hour (and figured 5-6 hrs) $700 - $840.

Neighbor with JD Back hoe, did it, 4 hours, $150.00 total!:nabble_anim_handshake:

I started getting estimates to dig the foundation, Needs to go 56" lower that existing cement wall height, (for footing)

Estimate 1 was $1000.

Estimate 2 was $140.00 per hour (and figured 5-6 hrs) $700 - $840.

Neighbor with JD Back hoe, did it, 4 hours, $150.00 total!:nabble_anim_handshake:

It always is wise to get several quotes! :nabble_smiley_good:

• 2 weeks later...

............After 20 years of applying for the "OK" from the Administrator of Sex and Finance, she finally approved my 12' x 36' addition on the back of the garage!.........

That is a joke...right?

The whole project has come to a screeching hault…

It looks like I may have to tear down the existing 3 car structure!

Here in CT back in the mid 80's the local sand pits and concrete manufactures ran into veins of sand that contained large amounts of a mineral, Pyrrhotite, which over extended periods of time, 10-20 years, breaks down the concrete to powdery chunks, and is visually evident with not your typical vertical

"settling" hairline cracks, but numerous horizontal "spider-web" cracking and chunks falling out.

Many home owners with 3-400K houses are "walking away" from homes because the house value plummets to under 100K!

Insurance companies refuse to cover the 100-150K replacement costs to lift a house and replace the foundation.

The State of CT had to pass laws just so insurance companies can not cancel of "fail" to renew policies!

There is state aid to homeowners IF the foundation is under you "primary structure" - the home itself.

But as a few contractors I have had over to the garage, my structure in not the primary structure, and not help is available.....

After we dug the trench for the addition we found the horizontal cracking...

I've been given estimates of @25 K to replace the 48" walls and footings, but the building inspector and some contractors say its to my benefit to simply demo the whole thing and start over and build "what you want"....

So now I "have to" move forward... cant "fill in the hole" and ignore it, because sooner or later with freezing and thawing, and snow loads, the walls can "blow out" but having $60K for a new one is not in the game plan either.

What to do...

Thinking of a "Go fund me" page.....

Reamer