Bullnose Forums

Engine rebuild

JAC1984

Jumping in a little late here bit I do have a couple cents to throw in. I've built a number of gas and diesel inlines. They really are rock solid platforms and dead simple. You can save on machine work so long as your cylinder wear and taper are with in specs. If the rotating assembly only needs some honing and a re-ring the engine gods are smiling on you. Have the heads run through by a decent machine shop $300-$400. Hone, re-ring, pop in new bearings and gaskets and you got a sold running stock motor that will last 250K miles or so. Parts and light machine you are looking at @ $1100 or so. The 300 inline may very well be the best motor Ford slapped into a pickup. Decent HP great Torque easy maintenance. When you get silly, like I do sometimes, you think about bumping numbers, tweaking set-ups, and spending money like a sailor on shore leave after a year at sea. Solid reliability with a knowledgeable guide to help you $1k ish with a phenomenal opportunity to learn. Super grunt, loud, baby scarring super motor.... Boat loads of cash. In the original movie Mad Max, the grease rat said "like the sign says, speed's just a question of money. How fast can you g g g go?"