Bullnose Forums

What rear axle/diff is this?

Ha! Thank you, is that a good thing?

Yes, they're generally regarded as being one of the strongest 5 lug axle housings you can get. Of course they have their limits, but they're very solid right out of the factory.

Shaun - The 9" continued through '86:

I seem to remember reading years ago on eff tee wee that the ratio of 9" trucks to 8.8" trucks was in favor of the 8.8 for the last few years of bullnose.

That's why I referred to it as being phased out, rather than stating that it was discontinued.

I'll see if I can get the 9" writeup from the FSM up on the website.

Just watched a few videos. I can do the gasket on the pumpkin, but if the axle seals are gone, that is a pain!!! I don’t have a press for starters.. grrrr

Just watched a few videos. I can do the gasket on the pumpkin, but if the axle seals are gone, that is a pain!!! I don’t have a press for starters.. grrrr

There are many reasons to swap to an 8.8" when that 9" becomes unusable.

The main advantage to the 9" - the reason it's so popular - is that WHEN (not "if") it grenades, you can swap out the chunk relatively quickly. That's a big plus at a race, or when you go off-roading far from home or civilization.

But the 9" is MORE LIKELY to grenade than the 8.8" because the 9" is mechanically weaker, in several ways. Ford (which designed both axles) switched to the stronger axle with the better overall design beginning in '83 and finishing in '86. The highest factory rating for the 9 was ~3200 lbs; for the 8.8, it started around ~3500 & approaches 5000 lbs. Even though the aftermarket is still producing upgraded modernized 9" axles, the 8.8" was chosen for the Rally Fighter project, which was a ~500 hp off-road vehicle.

So for a typical street vehicle, the 8.8" is the better choice. And with a little effort, it can be had with factory disk brakes. :nabble_smiley_wink: