Bullnose Forum

87-96 Bricknose Tailgate on a Bullnose

Good morning all. I've heard that the tailgates are interchangeable in terms of having the same width, but have different latch locations. I recall seeing somewhere that a Bricknose owner installed a Bullnose tailgate and just bolted some U-bolts into the bed to serve as latches. Wondering if anyone has done this successfully using the newer tailgate on a Bullnose?

I found a really clean tailgate from a '90 that I'm hoping can work. My '84 has a reproduction item that is falling apart.

Thanks,

Mark

This Catalogue seems to think they have different hinge connections (which is probably what the eyebolts or whatever solved), and the latches are different, like you stated. I'm not sure if it would be easy to convert.

Ah, interesting. It actually looks like the hinge arrangement is opposite between the Bricknose & Bullnose versions as well. I might have to make a trip out to a junkyard to see if I can compare the two tailgates side by side.

Thanks for sharing. I didn't think to look up the diagrams on LMC :nabble_smiley_good:

Ah, interesting. It actually looks like the hinge arrangement is opposite between the Bricknose & Bullnose versions as well. I might have to make a trip out to a junkyard to see if I can compare the two tailgates side by side.

Thanks for sharing. I didn't think to look up the diagrams on LMC :nabble_smiley_good:

You could look up the Bullnose part on here: Exterior/Beds Tailgates & Components. And here's the illustration you would find:

1983-86-tailgate_orig.jpg.cf763214110a8ea34c657f63170ba40f.jpg

But since this is a Bullnose site you wouldn't find this illustration for the later trucks:

Bricknose_Tailgate_Illustration.thumb.jpg.ca2bacddff6d1d6687fbc8257bcf471f.jpg

I've got an '87.

If you need a pic, lmk of what exactly and I'll post it back when I get better service.

I've got an '87.

If you need a pic, lmk of what exactly and I'll post it back when I get better service.

OK- thanks for the help. At work but will post some images tonight of my tailgate for reference of picture angles with yours.

You could look up the Bullnose part on here: Exterior/Beds Tailgates & Components. And here's the illustration you would find:

But since this is a Bullnose site you wouldn't find this illustration for the later trucks:

Thank you for sharing the diagrams, Gary. I keep forgetting there is that top navigation menu that has expanded areas. I always arrive to the main Forum page and sort through threads first. Guess I need to use the site more often to gain some familiarity!

Mark

Thank you for sharing the diagrams, Gary. I keep forgetting there is that top navigation menu that has expanded areas. I always arrive to the main Forum page and sort through threads first. Guess I need to use the site more often to gain some familiarity!

Mark

There are a bit over 500 web pages hidden in the menu, and some of those pages have many-page documents on them. I'd guess that there are over 5000 documentation pages. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Sure enough! :nabble_smiley_cool:

If after dark on the east coast I'll post back in the morning.

Sorry for the delay. I'm also on the east coast and we were having some freak tornado warnings here on the PA/NJ border this evening!

I'm adding some images of the driver's side and passenger-side with the tailgate removed from the pivots to show the lower and upper mounting areas.

If you think you can take a look at your truck to see if at least the pivots match that would help a ton! DS.jpg.f28620f142d0608c9cde46b0d7837f9e.jpgDS.jpg.f28620f142d0608c9cde46b0d7837f9e.jpg

NDS.jpg.5747d064ea8f36828eb6f1d25cd559b4.jpg